S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

ahhhhhh!

Old 10-26-2007 | 10:30 AM

Default ahhhhhh!

i am driving myself nuts trying to pick some components for my stereo.. so hard to choose with all the options out there! even when i demo i can't decide which speakers i think sound the best because they all sound pretty nice when i can't think straight.

i've looked at everything from going cheaper and doing a full package with a sub and 4 channel amp like:

alpine 9883
alpine f450 amp (70x4) or pdx 4.100 (100x4)
polk db6501 or mmc6500, jl vr's, boston sx60 or sl60
similar brands as above 10 sub

but now i feel like i should just concentrate on the front stage first and get nicer components and a 2 channel amp and worry about the sub later.. i can tell some difference between the $200-300 components and the $500-$1000 stuff but its so hard to pinpoint what i want.

i'd step up to alpine 9885 mostly for the 4v preouts

alpine pdx 2.150 amp (which are d class.. but i wonder is d class still worse off for components or are they clear enough these days? are they really better for the $ than the standard class ab alpine line?) or rockford's new small punch or power amps or even jl amps (seem expensive tho)

polks sr line or jl's new c5 components or boston pro60's or all the way up to focal's (jesus $600 kf, $850 kp, $1000 k2p, $1200 k2p uv.. so confusing.. would they all be happy with 150w per channel or would the kf's want less?? huge differences between them or not really? no idea)

also no idea how hard each one is to get in the doors..

i also worry about which will hold up the best over time.. especially with worries of water leaking into the doors which seems to be common in the s2k.

the ppl at the store's always just point to the most expensive stuff and won't really talk nego until i put a whole package together (prob so they can raise and lower install prices accordingly) so i don't know i think i may have to put a list together and be ready to walk out a time or two to get them to agree to lower the prices. everytime i'm there its busy and the ppl stand over me like i'm a 15 yr old thats going to break the knobs off their stuff so i can't ever get comfortable and think.. so i do most of the thinking sitting around online at work..

i wish i wasn't so wishy washy but there really are a fair amount of good options with audio and i go back and forth between setups every day.. just want something i'll be completely satisfied with so i don't go back and try to change things later.. so i think i should just go for the 'build the front stage first' route

so what do i do? i can't decide.. just point out the places you think i could go wrong and keep me from buying something i'll want to change in a few months and point me in your idea of the 'right direction'
Old 10-26-2007 | 11:49 AM

Music and sound are very subjective. I like my mb quart qsd's . Some people say they are to bright and not enough bass. I think differently. I tried the boston pro's the tweeter was brighter than the quarts but distorted quickly and sounded hollow and tinty to me. It really comes down to what you like. Good luck
Old 10-26-2007 | 01:48 PM

I have the Boston SL60s in my S2000, and they sound awesome. I have an Alpine 9856 with an Alpine Mrv-f345 amp (75w x 2). I have had many people ask what kind of speakers they are, based on sound alone... as they are hidden in the stock location.
Old 10-26-2007 | 05:00 PM

I would never use a D class amplifier to run components. D class amps are great for subs b/c the freq range is so limited (20hz-100hz). The freq range on components is approx 40hz-22khz. D class amps can't handle the range as well as AB class amps.

The main selling points of class D amps are stability and small footprint - but, that comes at the price of SQ.
Old 10-26-2007 | 05:47 PM
15 Year Member

I think that high end speakers are a real waste in a convertible, especially one as noisy as the S. They will sound great in your garage and driveway but once on the highway they are a waste of money.
Old 10-26-2007 | 05:48 PM

Look into the CDTs components. They are the best in the market.
Old 10-26-2007 | 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by SheDrivesIt,Oct 26 2007, 05:47 PM
I think that high end speakers are a real waste in a convertible, especially one as noisy as the S. They will sound great in your garage and driveway but once on the highway they are a waste of money.
No way. It's not just about SQ. High end components are more efficient and handle more power = louder. I noticed a difference going from stock to Diamond Audio Hex's off the 22W Head unit. Wait until I get my 100x2 amp installed...
Old 10-29-2007 | 09:33 AM

well i have listened and listened and listened and i have realized no one can make this decision for me.. so i have gone the route that i think will fit best for my wants/needs based on all the data and aural perceptions.

i've decided focals just really sound right for me. everything else seems to pale after demo's with the focal polyglass and polykevlar lines.

i think i'm going to just go for it this time!

alpine 9885
alpine mrp-f450 (channel 1 and 2 seperate @ 70w x 2@ 4ohm) (channel 3 and 4 bridged @ 200w x 1@ 4ohm)
focal 165vr (brand new comps.. 94.5Db sensitivity = wow screamers @ only 70w. k power line is just overkill and seem overly power hungry)
jl audio 10w3v3 (just perfect for the tight punchy low freq)

already got my modifry w/ alpine plug n play

now just need to get the prices where i want (hopefully 10-20% off merchendise) and the install worked appropriately and i should be just where i want.
Old 10-29-2007 | 10:38 AM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Neutered Sputniks,Oct 27 2007, 01:04 AM
No way. It's not just about SQ. High end components are more efficient and handle more power = louder. I noticed a difference going from stock to Diamond Audio Hex's off the 22W Head unit. Wait until I get my 100x2 amp installed...
Yes, way. I too have Diamond Hex components. IIRC, they are somewhat less efficient than the stock drivers but sound far better. I really think a set of Bostons or Infinty's would probably have been a better buy, though for this application. I'm driving mine with Zapco 2 channel. Hitting around 105/per ch. Sounds great in the driveway or in the garage. Still while far louder than stock, sounds like shit on the open road. It's just really hard to overcome wind, engine, and exhaust noise.
Old 10-29-2007 | 11:26 AM

i don't see how buying crappier components would help the sound?

whether in a tin can vert or a dampened lexus you still have to have good sound output to start with to have a good chance of it coming through the outside noise factors.

if high end amped stuff sounds 'like shit on the open road' then what would lower grade comps w/ hu power sound like in those conditions???

even shittier but that's better because it costs less???

i don't understand the 'its a waste' logic.. in my case i've struck the balance where i think its good enough and that's all i can do methinks.

if blaupunks coaxials are 'good enough' in an s2k on the road for one guy and infinitys or bostons would be 'good enough' for you and mid range focals are 'good enoug'h for me i guess that's alright because that's what i chose and could afford.. at least i've stopped myself from going k2p or utopia be right?

and in all truth and reality most of my in car time is basically very similar to sitting in the driveway because i'm stop and go on the freeways back and forth from work.. so is all good.

Quick Reply: ahhhhhh!