S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Aftermarket Headunit and S2000 Dash Controls (Reviewed)

Old 02-02-2003, 06:35 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I changed my stock headunit within the first few months of ownership. From that point one I was in search of a good dash control replacement. I bought the PAC SWI-X and installed it. At the time that was the only option available. Since that time a few others have been release by S2ki.com members, who like myself, did not like the options.

Headunit:
Alpine CDA-7894
MP3/CD/XM/AM/FM

PAC SWI-X Installation
With the PAC installation only handling the 4 dash control buttons, I need to add something to get the mute to function. Since the Alpine has an interrupt wire that pause CD and cuts the amp, a relay was the proper option. With the PAC installed and programmed, I found that I had a choice between programing the CH button to do either do the following
  1. FM Seek Forward/CD Track Forward
  2. FM Preset Forward/CD Folder UP
Since I used the CDs more than the Radio, I choose the number 1. But this meant that when I had an MP3 cd with folders I had to open the door and change the folder manually. Not the best option, but liveable. Well it turns out that because of this, I found my self not burning MP3 CDs, so a large part of why I bought this Headunit was being wasted. Here is a list of the Functions that the PAC provided
  1. Mode = Source Selection (CD/Radio)
  2. CH = FM Seek Forward/CD Track Forward
  3. Volume Up = Volume Up
  4. Volume Down = Volume Down
  5. Mute= Interrupt (Relay)
Cost of this installation
  • PAC SWI-X 59.50
  • Harness 15.00
  • Relay 5.75
Total 80.25 + Shipping

S2000 Multi-Radio Dash Controller Interface
Well since the release of this, my prayers have been answered. I first installed this last week. So I have only had it for a short time, but long enough to know what a difference this makes. First is is much smaller that the PAC and Relay combination, about 1/8 the size. In the S2000 space is at premium, so smaller is always better and if it needs to be in the dash, it is a requirement. The installation was easy. Once it was installed I located in the passenger knee pad, this way if I needed to adjust the speed volume control, I would only need to remove one screw.

The functionality and reponse is amasing. Now I no longer have to choose what functions I want to progam to what buttons, it has already been done. Here is how it works.
  1. MODE = Source (CD/Radio)
  2. CH = Band (FM1/FM2/AM)
  3. Volume Up = Volume Up
  4. Volume Down = Volume Down
  5. Mute = Interrupt (No Relay) Direct wired
Now here is where the added functionlity is, you can use a combination of buttons.
  1. MODE + Volume Up = CD Track Forward / Radio Seek Forward
  2. MODE + Volume Down = CD Track Back / Radio Seek Back
  3. CH + Volume Up = CD Folder Up / Radio Preset Forward
  4. MODE + Volume Down= CD Folder Down / Radio Preset Back
Even after only a few drives, I had these added functions down cold, it was easier that sounded. When I used the PAC there was a delay before the command was sent and sometimes it took more then once to get it to work. Now with this, push the button and release, and it is done. Cost of this installation
  • S2000 Multi-Radio Dash Controller Interface (Including Harness) 84.99
Total 84.99 + Shipping

The speed adjusting volume control is a major bounse. Have you ever been driving with the top down, jamming the tunes on the freeway (or the back roads) and just as you can to a stop, find your self tuning the volume down. And then once you are back on the road, you need to turn it back up? Well this is a great solution and it is optional too. There is an added wire that you connect to a wiring harrnes under the passenger side dash. There are a few small switches on the DCI that adjusts the speed "steps" that the volume is adjusted at. One other cool part of this it that when you mute the Headunit, the volume changes are still sent to the Headunit. So when you un-mute it, the volume is where is should be.

If you have any question about how this worked in my installation, please post here.

Note: I am not connected with Lucid, or Modifry in any other way then a very happy customer.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stratocaster,
Great info!! I purchased all this stuff back in November when I bought my S. Was bummed to lose the dash controls. Just noticed the DCI on Lucids site yesterday and ordered it immediately. Glad to hear that is works well. I love my Alpine deck but miss my dash controls! The speed/sound deal sounds cool. Will email you if I have probs c intall. I prob will get a friend of mine who works at Circuit City to do it anyways!
Doug!
Old 06-03-2003, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds great. i didnt relize that it added the extra functions. i know what ill be getting when pay day rolls around.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:14 AM

This mod rocks. The only think to remember is to order it long before you want to have it installed. These are made by hand and sometimes the demand is greater the supply. But worth the wait.
Old 06-03-2003, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great writeup Stratocaster...

and it is WELL worth the wait... i love mine and can't imagine having to deal with anything else... and your review has definitely made me reconsider connecting the speed adjustment volume control too... how is it when the top is up? does it get overly loud when you don't want it to?
Old 06-05-2003, 08:11 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PJK3
[B]great writeup Stratocaster...

and it is WELL worth the wait...
Old 06-05-2003, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks!
Old 06-05-2003, 06:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Stratocaster

No, I have not had any problems with it being too loud (that I have not caused in the first place ) I live in Houston, TX so the top rarely goes up. By using the switches you can set the volume change speed steps to suite your tastes. I left my at the default, 5mhp changes, and have never even thought of changing them.
Minor correction to avoid confusion -

"I left my at the default, 15mph changes..."

Old 06-05-2003, 06:38 PM

Thank Modifry, I knew that

I used to look at the speed to see if it would change, and when it would change back down. Now I take this mod for granted.

Thanks again for creating it.