S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

7" Widescreen Touch monitor in radio door area

Old 12-12-2006, 01:04 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sireousrex,Dec 5 2006, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the

I have been in CarPC hobby for a while. Like I said above, I enjoy the fact that it does EVERYTHING you could possibly need in a car environment. I use a special power supply that they call "inteligent". The supply itself is wired to the computers power switch. When you turn the car on, it will start the PC, and obviously turn it off when you shut down the car. All you have to do is set the PC to go into "standby" mode when the power switch is pressed. This causes the computer to be right back where you were when it shut down in under 5 seconds. Even resumes the song exactly where you were before. It also monitors batery voltage and will shut it down all the way if it drops too low. I have left a car without starting it for 5 days and never had a problem with this feature. Also, the power supply controlls the amps, and turns them on AFTER everything else so there is no thump.

About the shifting thing, no, I am not scared of that, although I did give it some thought. I never put my hand through the radio so I doubt it will happen with the screen. I tend to hold the shifter more on the shaft itself rather than the knob so I'de really ahve to be going nuts to slip off.. that sounded wierd. I like the idea of the screen being there because it is a touch screen and I can use that feature without having to reach up and way from where my arm normaly rests.

I hope to have the PC installed and running soon and I will upload some pics/vids of it working.
I have to give you a big big thumbs up for your ingenuity and doing something different. None of my comments were negative in anyway but I was just curious on your thoughts.....

Your molding skills are very good from what I can see - can't wait to see the final product!

Good to see new things and people "push the envelope" which is what I love doing as well. My double din setup cut into the dash is the first one ever in an s2000 (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but it too was quite painstaking job to say the least.

Look forward to your pics!

rick
Old 12-12-2006, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thankyou. I was very tempted to follow in your footsteps and join the dash cutting club. In the end it just wasn't right for me, however I still think those setups are great when done right like yours.

I spoke to John (darkknight) the other day about my setup. As I have stated, some of the contours didn't come out exactly the way I envisioned and the finish is nice, but not close enough to what I wanted. Anyhow, once I get the PC up and running, along with my amp rack, new sub and componants (man, maybe this will be a while ) I am going to make a Version 2 screen bezel. The v2 setup will match the lines better and John will help me finish this one, so there is no doubt it will be on par with his grade A products!

As an update though, I picked up my amp wiring kit from John the other day and ran them today. I should have the PC powering up by tomorrow, then it will be just working the bugs out of it. I already calibrated the touchscreen in house though, so thats one less hassle. Then, I'll just be waiting on the rest of the stuff I need to get sound out of the darned thing. I am also working on an all-in-one antenna that will do XM/am-fm/GPS so that I don't have to have three separate antennas cluttering up the great lines of the S. I will post something about that as well.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:58 PM

Hey Jeff it was great to see ya, yesterday Its been a while.

I saw Jeff's setup yesterday when I met up with him and I have to say I truly love the idea It look good in person. As Jeff stated he wants to work on the contour lines but it won't take much work to adjust that.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:40 PM

Thanks John. I am sooo looking forward to that sub box with the Alpha in it. Its' gonna pound. While I got the door pannels off tomorrow to run the speaker wires, I am gonna put down the dynamat you sold me. Great deal!!! thanks again!
Old 12-12-2006, 07:19 PM

You know I take care of my local crew.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:35 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

VERY interesting read. I am pretty facinated by the CarPC idea. I might have to explore that...

Thanks for the info!
Old 12-13-2006, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by ruexp67,Dec 13 2006, 11:35 AM
VERY interesting read. I am pretty facinated by the CarPC idea. I might have to explore that...

Thanks for the info!
No problem. All the information you want and NEED is at mp3car.com

Once I get the system up and running, soon I hope but weather is killing me with no garage, I will post up some action shots of the PC in different modes. I am going to add an outside and inside thermometer that will display the temp on the PC screen similar to those mirrors with the temp on it as well. there are just so many things that you can do with these things. But, like I said earlier, bugs pop up often, so it's not a hobby for the faint of heart.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:59 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, I am in no way feint of heart when it comes to PCs.

I spent all morning reading through mp3car.com, and looking at installs. Some of those installs are SIIIIK!

I think I am going to run into a deal breaker in that none of the front-ends seem to support multiple "zones" of dispersal. I would like to be able to drive a set of headrest monitors from the PC, while running the Navi/MP3 player off of the front screen. There has been some discussion that I have found, but no solutions that I could find. (Obviously, this is not for my S2000, but for my Yukon.)

Overall, very impressed with what I found there. I think I visited that site MANY years ago, when it was one d00d with a full-sized PC taking up his whole trunk, and he would drop an ethernet cable down through the bedroom window so he could update the computer. Things have come a LONG way since then.

I have some ideas for a killer setup that would be VERY slick, but alas, I think I will stick with dedicated hardware for the time being.

Thanks for giving me something to do this morning, I mean, I probably should be working, but hey, it's almost Christmas. Who wants to work, right!?
Old 12-13-2006, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by ruexp67,Dec 13 2006, 02:59 PM
Well, I am in no way feint of heart when it comes to PCs.

I spent all morning reading through mp3car.com, and looking at installs. Some of those installs are SIIIIK!

I think I am going to run into a deal breaker in that none of the front-ends seem to support multiple "zones" of dispersal. I would like to be able to drive a set of headrest monitors from the PC, while running the Navi/MP3 player off of the front screen. There has been some discussion that I have found, but no solutions that I could find. (Obviously, this is not for my S2000, but for my Yukon.)

Overall, very impressed with what I found there. I think I visited that site MANY years ago, when it was one d00d with a full-sized PC taking up his whole trunk, and he would drop an ethernet cable down through the bedroom window so he could update the computer. Things have come a LONG way since then.

I have some ideas for a killer setup that would be VERY slick, but alas, I think I will stick with dedicated hardware for the time being.

Thanks for giving me something to do this morning, I mean, I probably should be working, but hey, it's almost Christmas. Who wants to work, right!?
You can support multiple monitors with a video card no problem. Each card can be set up to output a specific program. I am not sure on the specifics, but I have read about it.

BTW: I got my PC up and running this morning, went smoother than other installs I have done which was a blessing. Here is the link:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...&f=26&t=445856
Old 12-13-2006, 11:52 AM

The only problem with going with the leather is when it would have to be wrapped under the bezel where it meets the screen. This would no doubt activate the touchscreen and make that useless. I had thought of everything to try and get around it, but no luck.

Quick Reply: 7" Widescreen Touch monitor in radio door area