S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

7" Widescreen Touch monitor in radio door area

Old 12-01-2006, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting...
I had the same I idea, just not the ambition to make it happen. I've wondered for a while if a 6x9 Lilliput would fit in that area.

A few misc. ramblings:
- I was thinking about a track ball in the cup holder. Out of sight when not in use. That or something connected to the dash controls.

- Minit ITX vs. Micro ITX, interesting tradeoffs since space is limited in the S

- If you know your way around PC's this would be the way to go. Audio, GPS, tuning, all in the same unit. I think one of the greatest benefits would be a WiFi link. Download all you need from a home server while parked outside. Surf for some info while parked outside starbucks or wherever.

I'll be very interesed to see how this goes. Keep up the good work and the pictures.

And the pictures...

One more thing. It will be important to provide plenty of pictures.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, yes, I forgot to list WiFi. I am actualy looking into making a custom antenna that will house antennas for GPS XM and WiFi all in one unit to keep a cleaner look.

I had used a trackball in my Titan since the screen was so far away from me. In this case though, the screen is right there so the touch screen will do nice. If its something intricate I need to click, there is the handy stylus

I am hoping to get this done soon, since I am not long on patients. Once I get an idea, I need to get it going. I will take plenty of pics and hopefuly a short vid of the screens visibility in the sunlight. I tested it out in the yard yesterday and it was perfectly celar. I was stoked!
Old 12-01-2006, 07:00 PM

I am assuming you are tying off that air duct that you sealed up? Condensation and electronics dont mix. Or you could just be EXTRA careful about not using the "convertible" selection.

Bad-a$$ work! Cant wait to see the finished thing! I was thinking about something similar, but with a 2-DIN unit, and relocating the SRS unit (but I thought that was too risky). Never really thought of using a component set, with only a screen up front....genious! Put the big stuff where you have space!

John
Old 12-01-2006, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by sireousrex,Dec 1 2006, 05:14 PM
Sweet! Should I just have it down to primer for you? I had tried some wrinkle finish stuff, but it didn't come out the way I wanted, so I will probably sand it off.
Yeah primer is fine dude... but whatever you have we'll get it done.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by jwa4378,Dec 1 2006, 11:00 PM
I am assuming you are tying off that air duct that you sealed up? Condensation and electronics dont mix. Or you could just be EXTRA careful about not using the "convertible" selection.
I was going to just be careful not to use the vent setting, but I am going to just duct tape it off to be sure.

I bet it would be a PITA to move that SRS unit. Stand alone screen is the way to go if you want to put it anywhere except inside of a dash cut out.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:17 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Outstanding work Jeff! I can't wait to see the finished product. This definately looks like something I would like to have in my car.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:30 AM

Thanks, that means alot coming from you because I know you are a perfectionist.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks awesome buddy!!! - very very cool idea
Old 12-02-2006, 09:25 AM

First post updated with my progress! Very excited as it's is coming exactly as I envisioned. On a side not, I began to set up the PC today. I am going to go meet PAS2KNUT tomorrow to get my amp rack to mount the PC on.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:00 PM

Looks good, but I think you could have done some more fine sanding to really make it look like a factory piece.

Quick Reply: 7" Widescreen Touch monitor in radio door area