S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

7" Widescreen Touch monitor in radio door area

Old 11-30-2006, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7" Widescreen Touch monitor in radio door area

OK, I am a big fan of CarPCs. I had one in my Nissan Titan and I figured that I would put one in the S. The beauty of the CarPC is that it can do it ALL. My setup will run AM/FM/XM/CD/DVD/MP3 audio, GPS navigation using iGuidance software, and anything else you can possibly do with a PC running XP. I can even interface with the OBD sensors or tune an EMS or Emanage with it. All sound is processed by the computer and spity right out of the dolby 5.1 soundcard into the amps, so you eliminate the need for a headunit all together. Roadrunner carPC software is used to integrate all these features into a touchable user interface complete with volume controls and everything + what you would have on a headunit.

Well, the carputer stuff is for another topic another time.
EDIT: here is a link to my CarPC thread: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...&f=26&t=445856

The need for a touchscreen monitor left me with a problem in the S. We all know there isn't too much room for a screen. I considered cutting the dash, but I don't really like that idea for a few reasons: One, it's too high to be reaching up and touching constantly like you would a head unit, which is esentialy what my screen becomes for me. Two, I have no need for the headunit in my setup. So, that leaves me with some real estate to place the monitor. My solution is to hack an OEM radio bezel and fiberglass a mount for my screen. Doing this caused me to lose my center radio area vents, but I never ever used them anyhow so what the heck.

Finaly, the screen I chose is a bit pricey at around $700 for screen alone. Regular 7" VGA touchscreens can be had all day lond for around $200. So, why the extra cost? This one has been professionaly modified to be 100% readable in DIRECT sunlight. I don't know the exact process they use, but it involves a brighter back lighting system and some kind of military grade screen material. To me, this was a must considering it is going in a convertible. OK, enough BS, on to the PICS.

I am not 100% complete yet as I still have finish work to do on the bezel to get the surface and paint perfect. Once that is done, I will mount the screen and install.

Here is a pic of the OEM door and a spare screen bezel that I ahve for the unit I am installing:

Here I have gutted the OEM door and secured the screen bezel temporarily to be first epoxied in place.

Next, the first layer of fiberglass (note that I have protected the screen edge to maintain its straigh edges:

After the second layer of glass (bad shot):

Now that the glassing is done and is structuraly strong, I move to the next material I use which is a flexible bumper repair epoxy (looks like bondo, but not) the flexibility is important so that it doesn't crack after time in a hot car vibrating around:

Here is that epoxy on the piece:

1st test fit:

Once I shape the epoxy, it is time for primer (notice that I have eliminated the screens buttons for a clean look but left a spot for the IR eye which can do everything the buttons could):

I have put some black primer on it at this stage to see the high spots better, but I still have ALOT of high and low spots to contend with at this point. More sanding and more painting to do now, but you can see how the screen will eventualy sit in the bezel. The OEM radio is still there for now, but will be removed when the screen goes in (the pics are tough to see because of the colors and shadows, but it fits really good):

UPDATE 12/02
OK, John was very nice to offer his help finishing the bezel for me next week seeing as I have to go to his house to get some dynamat anyway. BUT, as I have said, I am impatient as they come. So, I did some research and began to finish it myself. In this shot below, I have applied the texture I will use. Next step will be coating it with some vinyl paint which will alow it to be treated like any other part of the dash (armor all etc).

OK, I installed the screen into the bezel!! I will install it to the car tomorrow since its too dark and cold right now. It looks alot shineyer <sp?> because of the flash. It actualy has a nice semi flat finish.

UPDATE 12/03
I finaly got the screen in the dash now and all wired up, well sort of. The wires are run to the trunk area since the PC isn't in there yet. Again, the flash made it look like it is real shiney, but it isn't. It didn't come out like an OEM piece, but that isn't what I was shooting for. Looking at it now, there are a few contours I wish I had followed better. Now that I have another spare screen bezel, I may begin working on another version of this one after I get the PC end of this straightened out. I am thinking of adding a reset switch and USB port on the next one.

Here is the PC up and running:
Old 11-30-2006, 10:41 AM

This is going to look siiiiiiick ..keep it up and cant wait to see it when it's done

-James-
Old 11-30-2006, 12:06 PM

Agree, looks great so far. Just don't get impatient, make sure the finish is perfect before you move on. You will be doing a lot of sanding.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:09 PM

Yeah, that has always been a problem for me. I get impatient and want to get it done NOW. My fingers are going numb from sanding, but it'll be worth it. I am going to try some wrinkle finish paint with a coat of semi-gloss over that. It won't be exactly like the OEM finish, but close enough.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:47 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great work! Keep us updated.....I take it your music will be through a PC, so no need for a headunit at all correct?
Old 11-30-2006, 01:40 PM

Correct. All sound will be processed by the PC and sent from the soundcard, which is 5.1 capable, directly to the amps. The volume will be contolable via touchscreen and analog knob.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:27 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sireousrex,Nov 30 2006, 05:40 PM
Correct. All sound will be processed by the PC and sent from the soundcard, which is 5.1 capable, directly to the amps. The volume will be contolable via touchscreen and analog knob.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:39 PM

Like what i see... hope to see the finish product soon, thinking of doing the same if it comes out well.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:42 PM

nice, but from ive heard the FM/AM reception in Carputers are horrible. Thats the main reason i never went through with it as i listen to alot of radio..

What tuner/reciever card will you be using for the radio?
Old 11-30-2006, 08:56 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

What software will you use? I'm looking at RoadRunner at present.

Quick Reply: 7" Widescreen Touch monitor in radio door area