S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

5A Fuse Keeps Popping

Old 01-16-2012, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5A Fuse Keeps Popping

I have a fuse holder, currently with a 5A blade fuse, plugged into the "accessory" tap/port on the interior fuse box. Now connected to this fuse holder is my PLX AFR gauge, my V1 radar detector, and some heated seats. I need to confirm, but each item may have its own fuse before coming together to the 5A fuse holder going into the tap -- hopefully the configuration makes sense.

Everything works fine, but usually when I turn on the passenger heated seat (can't recall if the driver's has to be on too), the 5A fuse pops.

How should I remedy this? I can't simply add a bigger fuse (say 10A) at the fuse holder without any cause for concern can I?
Old 01-16-2012, 07:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

It depends on the size of the wire and what kind of amperage the heated seats draw. I'm sure they're pulling more than 5 amps. You should run them on their own circuit, either right from the battery with a fuse next to the connector, or off a higher amperage feed from the fuse box.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:21 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

^ I agree!
Old 01-16-2012, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by eastcoastbumps
It depends on the size of the wire and what kind of amperage the heated seats draw. I'm sure they're pulling more than 5 amps. You should run them on their own circuit, either right from the battery with a fuse next to the connector, or off a higher amperage feed from the fuse box.
I couldn't figure out the amperage of the heated seats, so any idea on what higher amperage feed from the fuse box I can or should use?

Thanks for the input guys!
Old 01-17-2012, 04:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JawKnee
I couldn't figure out the amperage of the heated seats, so any idea on what higher amperage feed from the fuse box I can or should use?
Do you not realize the problem with your question?

Who makes the seat heaters?
Old 01-17-2012, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by takeshi
Originally Posted by JawKnee' timestamp='1326779466' post='21323653
Do you not realize the problem with your question?
No

Originally Posted by takeshi
Who makes the seat heaters?
I believe these are the ones: http://www.seatheater-heatedseats.co...OVMTC=advanced
Old 01-29-2012, 08:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

your heated seats are drawing more than 5A. You could use a 10A fuse (for all devices) and see if that works. If the fuse still pops, you should run a wire from the battery (with a fuse at the battery) and then relay it into the ignition lead.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:11 PM

Each seat will draw a max. of 5A. You need a 10A circuit or better yet, 15A for all those devices if you insist on running them on the same circuit.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Will
Each seat will draw a max. of 5A. You need a 10A circuit or better yet, 15A for all those devices if you insist on running them on the same circuit.
Any reason(s) why I wouldn't want to run them on the same circuit?

Thanks for the input fellas!
Old 02-02-2012, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by JawKnee
Originally Posted by Will' timestamp='1328047896' post='21370866
Any reason(s) why I wouldn't want to run them on the same circuit?

Thanks for the input fellas!
If the circuit you were using originally used a 5A fuse, the wiring supplying power to that location uses a sufficient gauge to deliver enough juice for 5A of current. If you use a different fuse, the resistance of the wiring could potentially generate enough heat (under load) to melt the insulation on that wire, create a short, and start a fire. Granted, that is a worst case scenario... but I wouldn't want to chance it if it were my car. If it were me, and I was installing an aftermarket seat heater, I would run a new power cable from the battery to an aftermarket fuse panel where I could use whatever gauge of power supply wire I wanted, with whatever size fuse I wanted.

Quick Reply: 5A Fuse Keeps Popping