S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

4 channel amp recommendation needed.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Default 4 channel amp recommendation needed.

Well I am assuming my amp is toast. First the sub would go on and off from working. Then the amp would click on and off every few seconds. I pulled the sub and then the amp stayed on again. Now over the past few weeks the speakers seem to be getting quieter and quieter. Some static is coming once in a while from one of the speakers now as well.
Do all signs point to amp? Would hate to just replace it and not know for sure but no idea how to check the amp out to see if it is the issue or not. From the way things are going out it really seems to be. My speakers used to cut in and out once in a while or get quiet and then louder. Been having weird issues like that for a few months now. I need to put the volume up like 10 clicks more than before to hear the speakers while driving.

So if I do in fact need a new amp. What would be a good affordable option? I DO NOT need anything crazy and $500+ range. I have a used soundstream van gogh 4 channel amp right now. Was perfectly fine for me until it seems to have gone out.

I have 1 10" sub and 2 infinty kappa component speakers in the door and an eclipse head unit. So I want the 4 channel amp. 2 channels bridged to sub and the other 2 to speakers of course.

Used is perfectly fine as well. Do not want to spend much on one but don't want a pos either lol.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:53 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

What was your old amp's output? Model number?
Old 05-04-2011, 11:08 AM
Former Sponsor

I believe this is the one I have now.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-VGA320.4.html
Old 05-04-2011, 12:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Nitro 4 channel amp in my S right now. It's cheap and I havent had any problems with it at all so I would highly recommend it. I was going to use it for my speakers, but I just bridged 2 channels together and have it hooked to my 1 12" sub for now and that's it.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...o-BMW-483.html
Old 05-05-2011, 12:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what impedance is the sub and speakers?

im not certain, but that sounds like your speakers are blown, not amp

how are your gains set?
Old 05-05-2011, 12:13 AM

also, if you go to an auto store or walmart, you can pick up a digital multimeter for like 15-20 bucks

you can check voltage and resistance on everything and find out exactly what is wrong

lemme know if you need more specific details
Old 05-05-2011, 06:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Don't know the impedance of the speakers or sub. I highly doubt it is the speakers. Only starting happening at the same time the amp was turning on and off and the sub was not working and then working etc. Once the sub was disconnected the amp was back to working for a bit and then the speakers sound started getting weird. So really seems like the amp is crapping out. That or at the same exact time the sub and speakers starting going out which also caused the amp to start turning on and off by itself which I highly doubt. I think I have a multi meter laying around somewhere. Where do I check? Off the amp?
Old 05-05-2011, 02:33 PM

Check the resistance of speaker, tweeter, and sub

You need to knowthe stock resistance though

If the DMM reads a lower ohm than what its supposed to be then the speaker blew

Also, is your gain set correctly?

You can calibrate the gain correctly with a dmm as well. In doing so you also check the volts ofyour amp to makesure its producing the power you want
Old 05-07-2011, 02:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

every thing points to the amp.

1. started cutting in and out a few month ago, that is because your amp was entering a self preservation mode, which means reducing output power to minimize the chance of self destruction

2. a few months later, cutting in and out means going into protection mode

3. stays on without sub because there is no load, which translates to no current, which translates to no heat

4. static means the output transistors/mosfets were either getting really hot or are on their way out

I rec not to waste time and just get the amp replaced.

and.... multimeter can't tell if a signal is clipping, you need an occiloscope...

take it to any competent shop and they'll tell you the same thing

* I might not log on for another few months, been pretty busy. you can check my previous posts in this section to see if I quality to answer Just don't want you to waste your time
Old 05-08-2011, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Random question here, but do 2 channels from a 4 channel amp deliver enough power to drive a sub? Most 4 channel amps I see put out anywhere from 50-75 watts, so that would be a maximum of 150 watts. Does that suffice for sub? Or can you push it more? I only ask because I'm interested in a 4 or 5 channel amp. trying to decide.

Quick Reply: 4 channel amp recommendation needed.