S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

2001 Honda S2000 Build Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a long hiatus, what could be, the final setup for the S2000:

I'm modifying the fiberglass pods that I have build years ago to house new drivers. I am replacing the Airborne AMT tweeters with the smallest Aurum Cantus version. The workmanship on the AC is noticeably better, tolerances, materials, etc. As an added bonus it has a protective screen that keeps dirt out and blends the speaker better with the car's black interior. Not that yellow was too off on this car haha. I would have had to get a smaller AMT tweeter anyway, might as well go higher end.

The BG Neo 8 is back, but this time it is the S version. Higher excursion, much more a midrange-like than the old tweeter-like version. Both drivers will be on axis.

Fabrication details:
*all fiberglass pod
and
*.5" MDF front baffle
secured with
*Devcon 1 minute cure epoxy between the wood and fiberglass
rounded off with
*body filler

Pillars are delivered to an upholstery shop and should be out next week for final pictures.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:38 AM

Very interesting and informative ...thanks so much for all your hard work and effort !!....u gave me some ideas ...well a bit more than some .
Old 06-03-2013, 11:54 PM

Good deal. Glad it helps. I wish I had a photographer, but since I'm doing all myself I usually have my hands full and not many pictures are taken.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:40 PM

Pillar pods are back from being clad in leather. I think I like this upholstery place even more than the last one. Thinking about dressing the kickpanels though despite the fact that they'd get more shoe action than staring action.

AMTs and Planars dropping in tomorrow if all goes well!
Old 06-06-2013, 07:51 AM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

It's going to be like a recording studio in there when you're done!
Old 06-06-2013, 07:50 PM

I'm really hoping that's true. I'm fiberglassing the kickpanels now and it's 110 degrees outside. Better be worth it! On the other hand the resin cures faster!
Old 06-06-2013, 08:47 PM

post some pics of the kicks. the S seems to be rather space deficient down there, but i am looking for ways to put an old JBl 404GTI coax down there ...
Old 06-07-2013, 08:43 PM

I'll be fitting 10" subs up front so there is room! Effectively no intrusion at all for the driver! Passenger foot room will suffer a little.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:21 AM

holy smokes! PICS! from what it looks like when i see the kick panel areas as well as frame pics of the S, i just never really saw a lot of room there. mind you, i DO have a 10" alpine T series sub in the passenger foot well, thanks to the removable foam foot spacer and the guy on the forums that makes the enclosures, but i would love to be able to put some small coaxes in the kicks to even out the horrible path length difference with the factory speaker locations. i have some decent TA applied, and sounds GREAT at mid to high volume levels, but not quite as good at lower levels. i have ALWAYS had amazing results with speakers in the kicks and would love to see a way to do it in my S. keep up the amazing build!!
Old 06-08-2013, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by vactor
holy smokes! PICS! from what it looks like when i see the kick panel areas as well as frame pics of the S, i just never really saw a lot of room there. mind you, i DO have a 10" alpine T series sub in the passenger foot well, thanks to the removable foam foot spacer and the guy on the forums that makes the enclosures, but i would love to be able to put some small coaxes in the kicks to even out the horrible path length difference with the factory speaker locations. i have some decent TA applied, and sounds GREAT at mid to high volume levels, but not quite as good at lower levels. i have ALWAYS had amazing results with speakers in the kicks and would love to see a way to do it in my S. keep up the amazing build!!
Midrange options:

For a dedicated midrange I'd say your best bet is the space right above the deadpedal. There is some noise suppression material on the firewall, take that out and you get 1" more depth. There is lots of room going up in there so a rectangular midrange box will give you plenty of enclosure volume. To get even more enclosure volume you can fiberglass over the dead pedal frame to make the dead pedal volume part of the enclosure. Then mount the deadpedal plastic onto the speaker box. Bolt the speaker box using the existing dead pedal bolts as well as the kick panel mount hole from the back.

That will give you the most airspace, longest pathlength, widest stage, and deepest stage at the same time. The story is the same for the passenger kick. The A/C unit tapers off in the corner and gives you a lot of room going up.

A tweeter will get blocked way too much in this setup so I recommend you get separates and mount the tweeter somewhere on the outer part of the kick. Highs don't give off depth cues like midrange so no worries here.

Second option is to use that existing hole in the kickpanels that goes right through the frame of the car. The speaker box is the frame of the car and the baffle can be something very simple like an MDF ring glued onto the frame. You will have to relocate engine wiring harness.

What I'm doing is optimized for bass use because my mids are in the pillars. I went for the largest enclosure and lowest vibration/decoupling, not so much the best pathlenghts. Pics coming soon.

Quick Reply: 2001 Honda S2000 Build Thread