S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

2001 Honda S2000 Build Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW! thanks for the prompt and awesome response!! my system will be a little simpler: 18sound 6nd430 mids, mb quart QTD25 tweeters, and a single alpine swr-10t thin 10" in the passenger footwell, all powered by a Zed leviathan II, with source being an alpine cda-117 i got at BB on closeout!! thanks again for the pics and the great write up. please post more if ya got it i will post my own write up as i get started sometime soon-ish LOL
Old 05-29-2011, 08:02 PM

Nice, 18sound! I lost lots of time debating between those and the B&C. If you look on ZaphAudio you will see the ND430 is the best performing 7" in harmonic distortion tests. There was a B&C that didn't do as well but it was the base midrange version. I'd like to see the two head to head. Those Alpines are great too, one of their reps was showcasing their technology over on DIYMA. I asked for more Klippel plots but got nada still. Looking forward to the build.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:54 PM

Wow awesome. Two qeustions. How much for me to get my hands on the sub setup, and how much work would i need to do to get it fitted and installed?
Old 05-30-2011, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by it'S2klean
Wow awesome. Two qeustions. How much for me to get my hands on the sub setup, and how much work would i need to do to get it fitted and installed?
The AE IB12 is now discontinued, kinda. John was loosing a lot of money on this model. There is an upgraded version, with a bit more BL but it's going for $250ish a pop. Look up Acoustic Elegance and check out the car audio portion of the forum for more info. I had John make me these three subs in 8 ohm coil arrangement. This way the total load on the amp is only 2.33ohms. The Clarion puts out 750w at this load and runs very very cool. In So. California cooling is a big thing. The Clarion is probably around $250 new, but the deals change a lot. The internals are almost a straight copy of the ARC audio KS 1000.1. Both are designed by Robert Zeff (Zapco guy). So that's it for the gear, imo with $1,000 you can get three twelves and one amp. that will rock.

The install was all done by me. An infinite baffle setup is not very common in audio installs and only a few shops will even know what you are talking about. Like carputers, most IB setups are done by the enthusiasts themselves, DIY. Here are some shops that might do it, Bing: http://simplicity.elitecaraudio dot org/ or JT: http://jtaudioacc dot com/. If you search for places just ask them if they could do an infinite baffle arrangement. If they ask you what it is, walk away. I would guess the amp rack and baffle would cost you at least $600.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:45 PM

Beautiful work. I'd been following your thread on diyma and was waiting for an update!
Old 06-02-2011, 12:34 PM

I'll get more updates as soon as finals are over and I grade all exams. Gotta figure out where to host too, Photobucket is starting to charge me for this kinda bandwidth.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this makes my setup look like kmart brand products lol...props for the work done
Old 06-08-2011, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by slowpokeS2K
this makes my setup look like kmart brand products lol...props for the work done
Thanks mate! I got mine from Wallmart
Old 06-13-2011, 12:01 PM

The Droid X/ Pioneer P99 Symbiosis

This combo is IMO lethal in just about every way. I picked the Droid X mostly because it was the biggest screen on the market with Google's turn by turn voice guidance. This gives me a 4'3" GPS unit that is hard to beat. Combined with the Pioneer Bluetooth unit they work together as if they are one unit. I play music off the 32gb SD card in the phone, while the GPS application is running. Whenever I get to the next turn the music cuts off, GPS lady comes on, makes her point and I get to my destination. The audio quality on the bluetooth is good enough that I can't tell whether it's the USB or the BT. This is one way of getting a 32gb harddrive, GPS, music player, blue tooth phone calls, and 8 channel music processor into an S2000 easily.

The P99 is a single din that fits in very tight in the S2000. You will have to slot the OEM side mounts to make it slide back enough for the lid to close. No pics here as it is pretty straight forward.

The Droid X mount is a two part process: Verizon Droid X Genuine Belt Holder + Modifry's GPS bracket.

Outside of the car, ready to be mounted:

The back is where all the work was done. I pre-drilled two holes for the ACE supply black painted beauty screws. The mount is basically attached to the belt holder clip. this ensures the phone can still rotate for either vertical or horizontal use. Since the belt holder is made so that the phone mounts face in, face out as needed in a car needs some trimming if you want the USB port, and volume buttons to be accessible.

The simplicity of this design hides it's true potential. The holder has the same sort of tough yet friction free coating the phone has. This means it's a blast to operate and it's squeak free. There are no rattles coming from this mount and depending on app it can be used vertically or horizontally. The Modifry bracket does not require the dash be modified in any way so it can be returned back to stock by simply removing the mount. The location is also optimized, high enough to be away from the shifter, but low enough to be accessed by a simple wrist move. It also does not impede the lid or fan controls from operating. Very OEMish.

I did drill a small hole to get the USB connector from the head to the phone. This ensures I can use the GPS for unlimited miles without the battery taking a poop on me. So I use it mostly to charge the phone although it can be used to channel distortion free music to the head. The hadunit uses a standard usb jack. A custom mini usb was ordered that has the right degree bend for clutter free operation.

The Music Player

I use the Android Winamp application for many reasons.
1. I can control it from the dash buttons so it can be operated safely while driving. If I push mute on the dash quick access panel, an IR signal is sent through the Modifry chip to the P99 head. From the head the signal is sent to the phone through BT. I can change tracks on the phone this way or change source and volume on the head.
2. Winamp is an amazing player, and I use it at home on the PC as well.

Main menu:

Scrolling through albums:

Song playback. A search can be done on any song and linked to Pandora, You Tube etc.

Pandora. The music quality is inferior to the SD card music but acceptable. Verizon smartphone plans are unlimited so Pandora can be run 24/7. Reception is problematic in the mountains but world better than standard radio, and the quality is too.

The guy is very nice although you get small adds from time to time.

Making calls:
Old 07-13-2011, 11:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome man! Very nice indeed. Looks like you had very similar goals with you sub build as I did, but with a bigger budget and more technical knowledge. I never thought of an IB setup... looks like it works very well.

I wish I had fiberglass experience... Working with only wood limited me a LOT. Here is what I ended up doing though: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/722...-10-sub-build/

Quick Reply: 2001 Honda S2000 Build Thread