S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

1st stage of install finished. Pic's

Old 01-19-2002, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st stage of install finished. Pic's

just got my car back from the shop what went in is
2 160a2's
2 8w3's
2 rsp216 pro mb quarts (yeah baby)
about 300 bucks worth of high low converters, monster cabling, dis boxes and the like.
Lots of dynomat. And I mean lots of dynomat.

I have the 8w3's in a dual bandpass quad port box that I built for the main recesses area in the trunk. Removable in about 3 minutes at the track with only two tools.

2nd state. Next the rear stage, some nice 3 way 5's ti's to fill in the back, going to a full xm digital head unit as well as possibly a ppi 4400 install. I am going to spend the next day tuning it up. The worst thing is the stock deck does not haved the low outputs which means that I am getting distortion in the upper end and can't go as full volume wise as I want to.

Pictures tommorow when I have some time to upload them

Just some side notes these 6's from quarts are great, perfect for the price, (msrp 499.99) very well made. Do to the no cutting holes rules I laid down at the shop I had them place the tweets and crossover in the door. I had the driver side facing downward to bounce the sound through my legs. This works decently well much better then expected.
Old 01-19-2002, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice. I'm really undecided on whether to put a sub in the trunk or have a custom footwell sub built. It's going to all depend on how much sound I can get from a sub in the trunk. I'd rather not leave my S2000 at the shop for 2 days while they figure out how to do it. But if subs in the trunk won't cut it, I may not have a choice.
Old 01-20-2002, 08:51 AM

If you want bone crushing subs, don't expect to accomplish it in a s2k. All the power gets lost due to the top. I was looking for more of a mid range with some vibration. The truck makes a very good bass expander but no bumping rap and busting windows, but more then enough to hear sublime about 1/8 a mile away quite cleanly. Let me show you guys the install when I get my cmera back it wil explain things a lot better.
Old 01-20-2002, 11:51 AM

I was wondering about sub's as well and some people have put speakers somewhere in the rear of the car... i don't know where, if someone around here has a nice system in the S2000 then i would like to hear it sometime, upper mass near nashua NH, also about that all digital pioneer head unit, i have one, it works great, but are you getting the unit to make it work with the dash controls? will you put XM in there? where will you put the antenna? just a thought, i have XM and it is well worth every penny.
Old 02-16-2002, 07:58 AM

Storm - Where'd you have the work done? I'm finally considering getting some audio upgrades starting with the speakers.
Old 02-16-2002, 09:31 PM

I slightly disagree witht he bone crushing bass comment. I have gone to great lengths with my builder and have tried several scenarios to get bass and quality out of this car. We came up with a happy compromise. Of course teh compromise is that I had to ditch the spare and tool kit. I am using two 10w3's with a Pheonix gold ZX475ti 500watt amp. Pioneer premier 930-r head unit with 12 disc changer and Arcos 20gig MP3 storage player. Kenwood dual mag seperates up front. side note on the seperates, the tweet is so clear and direct it did not need to be mounted high on the door, it is in the stock speaker grill aimed upward. Anyway, The bastard hits so hard the trunk lid pushes off of its seals. It rattles quite a bit if pushed but at 100 MPH top down the bass can be heard and felt along with the mids and highs. The car defiantly leaks too much to produce superior dB readings but it out hits any other convertible I have ever heard. Pictures can be found HERE.
Old 02-17-2002, 07:59 AM

Fullthrottle,

I just took a look at your pics. Install looks nice. Your subs are installed exactly how I described in this thread for anyone who is thinking about putting in subs and does NOT want to build a box for them.
Old 02-17-2002, 04:30 PM

Full Throttle,

Can you speak to your use of the DSP functionality on the Pioneer Premier head unit. I am looking at the 930 as well since it has the time alignment DSP.
Thx!
Old 02-17-2002, 07:33 PM

The time alignment is tricky at first but once you get it set it works well. Im still very new to this deck so Im still finding my way around. It is a very powerful unit and has many setup functions. Its really complicated .
Old 02-17-2002, 07:55 PM

Full throttle,
what other decks were you looking at?
I just started my research today and have narrowed down to the following...

Sony CDXM770
Blau CD70 San Francisco
Pioneer DEHP-930 or DEHP-9300
Clarion DXZ925
Alpine CDA7878

Not sure about the Blau in terms of the time alignment functionality, web site wasn't clear IIRC.
I also would like to get one with an electronic crossover for front components...ie. high/low pass somewhere between 500hz&3K... I won't be buying until I figure out speakers.

Quick Reply: 1st stage of install finished. Pic's