S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

~5V source to power in car Camera/Camcorder

Old 05-23-2007, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ~5V source to power in car Camera/Camcorder

so i used my digital camera as a video recorder during my last track session. its an old camera, but it records video fine and now that memory is cheap, i can record 1.5 hours on a 2gb memory stick. i liked it except it ran out of batteries too quickly. so i'd like to hardwire the power.

the camera normally runs on 2 AA batteries and has a "DC-in" socket. the adapter (sold separately) is a typical 120V AC-DC transformer meant for home use. its got a special proprietary connector plug into the socket. the specs look like this:

option 1: get a small power inverter, plug it into the cigarette lighter and then plug the AC-DC adapter into the inverter.

well, this seems like the obvious choice, but it does seem kind of redundant dont you think? going from 12V car to 120V AC to 4.2V DC. seems like a waste...

option 2: tap into the regulated 5V supply already created by the cars electrical system that powers many of the electronic sensors, processors and ECU. and feed that directly into the camera by cutting off the plug from the 120V adapter. i figure the internal regulator in the camera can handle 5V.

anyone think the cars 5V power can handle this? anyone think my camera cant handle this?

any thoughts before i try it out and burn something?
Old 05-24-2007, 03:21 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I know it's not your preferred solution but if tapping into the cars 5V system won't work you might consider one of these plug-in DC/DC Voltage converters.

http://www.powerstream.com/dc6.htm
Old 05-24-2007, 05:40 AM

I think you should find a way to directly wire it without using the adaptor. I would suggest emailing Sony to see if they would give you a response regarding what the camera can hold. If so, then just go with your second option.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would suggest never tapping into the car's 5v power to run accessories. The 5v supply in the car is there to provide a constant voltage reference for the critical engine sensors and it does not have a lot of current capacity. I'm sure your camera (using an amp or more) would disrupt or overload the ECM 5v supply and would likely cause engine problems or a CEL.

The above mentioned power supply is a good option as it has both a 3v and a 4.5v setting and can provide up to 2 amps of power. Price is good too ($16). I'd try the 3v setting and if it doesn't work go to 4.5v. I can't imagine the camera would have a problem with it.

I'd suggest NOT contacting Sony about this. If the camera breaks (for whatever reason unrelated to your "car power") you may have some issues with warranty repairs if they think you're using a make-shift power source.

For my Olympus camera I built a simple voltage regulator circuit to provide the required 6v, but then I have lots of parts and tools that most people don't have.

PS - Thanks for providing lots of information with your question and the pic of the Sony power supply. That makes it a lot easier for people to make useful suggestions. It kills me when I see posts that say things like "help my head unit doesn't work, what should I do?"
Old 05-24-2007, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by trapper,May 24 2007, 03:21 AM
I know it's not your preferred solution but if tapping into the cars 5V system won't work you might consider one of these plug-in DC/DC Voltage converters.

http://www.powerstream.com/dc6.htm
thats definately a solid option 3!

i know i thought of that... but i think i got carried away about the 5V supply...

bill, if you think that the extra current draw will be harmful to the sensors and ecu, then ill take that as good enough warning.

option 3 does seem like the safest and most direct method then. i still have to cut off the special connector, but it looks like itll be easier that way. in fact now that i think about it.... i think i have one of those things from a long time ago...