S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

Swift Spec R.... Review

Old 09-18-2012, 05:51 AM

Received 193 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by takchi
Originally Posted by skibbz' timestamp='1347936025' post='22019180
Is anyone competing at AutoX or the track with this setup? I'm interested in hearing feedback about how the loss in travel has affected your times and control of the car under full compression.

Has anyone tried running this setup with a square 17x9 +63 w/ 255s setup? Any fender damage from track/autox (not street) use?

Debating whether to go with Ohlins, Penske, etc. or just be a cheapskate and do springs if it gets me in the ballpark performance-wise.

Thanks!
You will probably rub away your fender liners and blip the fender tab from track use. I can't comment on autox since I've never my car there before.
I would probably agree with that when we are talking about running non-staggered with 255's. I hope to bolt some 17x9+60's with 255's on my car this fall to check fitment. A friend has a set of wheels I like so I want to see how it would look on my car...

I have experienced these springs on track, but not on this particular car. When in Germany I did drive the Nurburgring in an AP1 with these springs. I was not driving it hard enough to rub, but the car owner certainly knew how to push the car as hard as it would go and he never rubbed, even while catching air and under full compression. That car had 215/245 vs my 225/255 setup, but I am also running a lot more negative camber. Let's leave Laguna Seca's corkscrew out of this because that is probably the exception. I will go out on a limb and say that on most tracks and auto crosses rubbing should not be an issue with stock wheels. I think I am going to try a local autocross this fall.

Skibbz if you are really contemplating $299 springs vs $30000 coilovers why dont you just give the springs a shot and report back .

I honestly view these springs as an intermediate setup and not my final suspension setup. I love them though!
Old 09-18-2012, 06:34 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

You want a compression test, try this at Flugplatz at the Nurburgring. Still my favorite shot of Hans Stuck in the 3.0 CSL.

http://www.onehotlap.com/2012/03/qui...g-balance.html
Old 09-18-2012, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
You want a compression test, try this at Flugplatz at the Nurburgring. Still my favorite shot of Hans Stuck in the 3.0 CSL.

http://www.onehotlap.com/2012/03/qui...g-balance.html
I caught a little air there in the AP1 with Swifts, as well as at Pflanzgarten
Old 09-18-2012, 08:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by adrs2k
Originally Posted by takchi' timestamp='1347942948' post='22019356
[quote name='skibbz' timestamp='1347936025' post='22019180']
Is anyone competing at AutoX or the track with this setup? I'm interested in hearing feedback about how the loss in travel has affected your times and control of the car under full compression.

Has anyone tried running this setup with a square 17x9 +63 w/ 255s setup? Any fender damage from track/autox (not street) use?

Debating whether to go with Ohlins, Penske, etc. or just be a cheapskate and do springs if it gets me in the ballpark performance-wise.

Thanks!
You will probably rub away your fender liners and blip the fender tab from track use. I can't comment on autox since I've never my car there before.
I would probably agree with that when we are talking about running non-staggered with 255's. I hope to bolt some 17x9+60's with 255's on my car this fall to check fitment. A friend has a set of wheels I like so I want to see how it would look on my car...

I have experienced these springs on track, but not on this particular car. When in Germany I did drive the Nurburgring in an AP1 with these springs. I was not driving it hard enough to rub, but the car owner certainly knew how to push the car as hard as it would go and he never rubbed, even while catching air and under full compression. That car had 215/245 vs my 225/255 setup, but I am also running a lot more negative camber. Let's leave Laguna Seca's corkscrew out of this because that is probably the exception. I will go out on a limb and say that on most tracks and auto crosses rubbing should not be an issue with stock wheels. I think I am going to try a local autocross this fall.

Skibbz if you are really contemplating $299 springs vs $30000 coilovers why dont you just give the springs a shot and report back .

I honestly view these springs as an intermediate setup and not my final suspension setup. I love them though!
[/quote]
Keep in mind I was on 800lb/in springs and Tein SRCs.

Even at other tracks, I was rubbing the fender tabs off with the +63 w/ 255s on stock suspension with -3 deg of camber. What's worse was that there were lines formed around the tire indicating that the tire was being cut by the fender tab...
Old 09-18-2012, 12:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by skibbz

Thanks!
I've tracked my friend's CR with this setup. What do you consider full compression? At Laguna Seca, even the stock CR springs will bottom out; I completely rubbed through my fender liners. The Swift Spec R's were rubbing anytime you had a lot of vertical load (jumping berms, cresting hills, compression at the bottom of hills, etc.) This was all on 235/255 or 255/255 R888 or NT01.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:25 AM
Go2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

adrs2k..... Thanks for adding more info, input, and pics to this!
Old 09-24-2012, 09:44 AM

I still have some other info to add later this week detailing the ride height changes.

I have noticed the last few times I drove the car that VSA engages much more frequently now. I dont drive hard on the street but I do occasionally take a corner at moderate speed . Two nights ago I made a slow u turn and as I came around and just gently got back on the gas the vsa kicked in and the motor cut. I was in no way trying to slide the rear of the car, but apparently vsa thought differently and kicked in. I have also had it kick in while take a few corners at 20-30mph and when I hit the apex and start getting back on the gas the vsa kicks in. Never had this before with the stock suspension. I have noted in my review that the car transitions and sets much quicker than stock now so that might be contributing to the car wanting to break traction and wanting to rotate more now.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:29 AM

Yay for Swift Spec R's!!! I just did a 750 mile road trip and its amazing how much smoother over bumps the car has become. I was genuinely very comfortable. I felt myself getting tense when I would come up to big bumps or rough roads...but the swifts have really refined the car and its a huge improvement over stock in that respect. The suspension soaks up the bumps now and its no longer a harsh and bumpy ride.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If only the car came at that height from the factory....
Old 10-16-2012, 06:17 AM

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Question for you guys on those Swift Spec R springs... my understanding was that springs don't really help handling and if anything, could possibly hurt or upset the handling of the car since it wasn't meant to sit at that height with the factory shocks. Additionally, I was under the impression that the shocks will blow faster over time as a result of the lower position. Can anyone speak to these points?

If my understanding is incorrect, I might look into some springs for myself... I'm pleased with the stock CR suspension but wouldn't mind the car sitting just a bit lower.

Quick Reply: Swift Spec R.... Review