S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

Swift Spec R.... Review

Old 04-18-2016, 10:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by K20iVTEC
I recently installed cr shocks with swift spec-r springs on my ap2. I keep hearing everyone say how the ride quality improves and they actually feel softer than the cr springs. I've never riden on the oem cr springs but the swifts feel very stiff compared to the oem ap2 springs. Is this about right? They definitely handle bigger bumps and highway divides better than ap2 oem springs like everyone says and the drop is absolutely perfect. But over a bumpy parking lot or on a crappy paved road they feel very stiff almost like riding on the bump stops. Are the cr shocks valved that differently like have slower rebound or something? or am i just feeling the difference in spring rates from the ap2 to swift? I thought it was going to ride like the ap2 springs or maybe even better like everyone says... so i guess i'm a little disappointed and confused? I personally don't mind the stiffer ride but i know my wife won't care for it...

What are some other peoples thoughts about going from ap2 suspension to cr/swift combo?
Yes, the spring rates are higher than AP2. I did the same swap as you, but I have also ridden in friends' CRs stock and with these springs. I think the consensus here is that all-stock the CR suspension feels like it is always on edge, and the Spec Rs soak up some of the initial bump. You're coming from a setup that is really soft as well, so it is going to feel more responsive.

Did you change out the sway bars as well? I had originally kept my AP2 bars on there, but it did not feel right, swapping over to the CR bars dialed everything in.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sse2k
Originally Posted by K20iVTEC' timestamp='1461034251' post='23942265
I recently installed cr shocks with swift spec-r springs on my ap2. I keep hearing everyone say how the ride quality improves and they actually feel softer than the cr springs. I've never riden on the oem cr springs but the swifts feel very stiff compared to the oem ap2 springs. Is this about right? They definitely handle bigger bumps and highway divides better than ap2 oem springs like everyone says and the drop is absolutely perfect. But over a bumpy parking lot or on a crappy paved road they feel very stiff almost like riding on the bump stops. Are the cr shocks valved that differently like have slower rebound or something? or am i just feeling the difference in spring rates from the ap2 to swift? I thought it was going to ride like the ap2 springs or maybe even better like everyone says... so i guess i'm a little disappointed and confused? I personally don't mind the stiffer ride but i know my wife won't care for it...

What are some other peoples thoughts about going from ap2 suspension to cr/swift combo?
Yes, the spring rates are higher than AP2. I did the same swap as you, but I have also ridden in friends' CRs stock and with these springs. I think the consensus here is that all-stock the CR suspension feels like it is always on edge, and the Spec Rs soak up some of the initial bump. You're coming from a setup that is really soft as well, so it is going to feel more responsive.

Did you change out the sway bars as well? I had originally kept my AP2 bars on there, but it did not feel right, swapping over to the CR bars dialed everything in.
Thanks for the reply! Yea I changed the front sway bar to an ap1. Left the rear ap2. After what everyone was saying I was just expecting something different I guess and it caught me off guard lol. I do like them though
Old 04-20-2016, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where are people getting there CR shocks?
Old 04-20-2016, 10:19 AM

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by streetx
Used (if you can find them) or from Honda... only real options that I'm aware of. Honda will probably charge a pretty penny for them though... it might make sense to compare their pricing to some aftermarket coilover systems. If they're comparable, the aftermarket system may be better and the way to go.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From CR owners.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They are about $900 new from honda... you can find them used on here anywhere from $400-$600 depending on mileage
Old 04-21-2016, 05:32 AM

Can anybody give me some tips on how to put the swifts on? My autozone spring compressor cant really clamp down due to the lack of coils it can fit between and compress the springs enough to put the top hat back on...
Old 04-21-2016, 06:18 AM

Received 193 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmwol2ks
Can anybody give me some tips on how to put the swifts on? My autozone spring compressor cant really clamp down due to the lack of coils it can fit between and compress the springs enough to put the top hat back on...
You definitely do not need a spring compressor.

First I held the shock upright with the lower shock mount on the floor. I installed the spring, spacers, hat, and etc. I then had my wife help on the next step. I put my hands on either side of the top hat and pushed down hard enough to get the threaded part of the shaft through the hat. My wife then screwed on the tap hat nut and got a couple threads on.

Then I put the lower shock mount flush up against the concrete footer on the garage floor. The shock is now laying on its side on the floor (with a blanket underneath so it doesnt get scratched) with the hat and nut facing outwards from the wall. Then I used my dewalt impact gun and slowly tightened down the nut. Done.

I can do 4 shocks in less than 5 minutes.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by adrs2k
Originally Posted by jdmwol2ks' timestamp='1461245555' post='23944493

First I held the shock upright with the lower shock mount on the floor. I installed the spring, spacers, hat, and etc. I then had my wife help on the next step. I put my hands on either side of the top hat and pushed down hard enough to get the threaded part of the shaft through the hat. My wife then screwed on the tap hat nut and got a couple threads on.

Then I put the lower shock mount flush up against the concrete footer on the garage floor. The shock is now laying on its side on the floor (with a blanket underneath so it doesnt get scratched) with the hat and nut facing outwards from the wall. Then I used my dewalt impact gun and slowly tightened down the nut. Done.

Thanks for the reply! Did you spin it on fast? or did you do it slowly so it wouldn't spin? I actually don't have an impact wrench. do you think I can do it with handtools?
Old 04-21-2016, 12:25 PM

Received 193 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmwol2ks
Originally Posted by adrs2k' timestamp='1461248287' post='23944536
[quote name='jdmwol2ks' timestamp='1461245555' post='23944493']

Thanks for the reply! Did you spin it on fast? or did you do it slowly so it wouldn't spin? I actually don't have an impact wrench. do you think I can do it with handtools?
[/quote]

I went slow. I did not want to risk going too fast and messing up the threads. Its possible with hand tools, but difficult because the shaft will spin.

Quick Reply: Swift Spec R.... Review