S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

Swift Spec R.... Review

Old 09-09-2013, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had mine for about 2 or 3 months now, can't complain. Car still feels great and looks way better just being slightly lower
Old 09-09-2013, 08:23 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

APupNamedSmokey you have a pm.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is it possible that springs with a higher rate, on the same shocks, actually lower the height (reducing the usual bump travel on the shocks) while riding softer than before? Something doesn't make sense...
Old 09-12-2013, 02:30 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

you can have a stiffer shorter spring (ie swift specr) by increasing the diameter of the wound coil which affects its spring rate. At the same time a stiffer spring will make the same shock "feel" softer due to the stock damping having to cope with a stiffer/stronger spring.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah, just saw a picture of the springs -- they're more comfortable because they're progressive! (stock springs are linaer)
Old 09-16-2013, 12:41 PM

Received 193 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by ClayMan28
Ah, just saw a picture of the springs -- they're more comfortable because they're progressive! (stock springs are linaer)
This is not true according to an email from swift:

These springs are a fully linear spring. They are not progressive. Physically they look like a progressive spring but they are what is called a step-linnear spring. The reason why we designed the spring this way is because if we were to stiffen up the rates and then lower the vehicle then the springs would be extremely short. In fact it would be so short that the spring will come off of its perch when the shock is fully extended, as well as make noises as you are driving the vehicle around town. If you were to take a look at the spring on the vehicle at static height you will see that the progressive end is fully collapsed. This is similar to a coilover with helper springs on them to keep the spring from falling off of the shock. The smooth ride is just one of the characteristics of the material of the spring that we have put much effort into creating. There are many factors that come into play when creating springs.

Best Regards,
Sales
Tel: (909)923-9788
Fax: (909)923-9798

Swift Springs
1850 S. Carlos Ave
Ontario, California 91761
www.SwiftSprings.com
Old 10-11-2013, 09:40 PM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

So I've had them on for a while now and thought I would give a short review.

I like the drop. Not too aggressive but definitely a nicer stance for the car. Spring rates feel good at different speeds. The ride is a bit more compliant around town and at highway speeds especially expression joints and uneven road surfaces. In comparison to the stock springs the rear feels the most different as as far as ride quality. They just aren't as characteristic to that CR rear spring feel. I like the feel of the rear CR springs better. Hard to explain but easier to determine when you've experience both in the CR. I know that sounds strange. The differences could also have a lot to do with the camber setup.

Overall I'm happy given the price to benefit analysis. Thanks again to adrs2k who helped me decide in them an me install then this summer.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The CR rear feel is superior because there is less bump stop engagement at the higher ride height
Old 10-13-2013, 05:53 AM

Received 193 Likes on 119 Posts

Superior...no. Bump stop engagement, if it happens it doesnt happen regularly. Swift springs lower the car in the rear barely 1". So you lose 1" of travel if you didnt cut your bump stops to compensate (which I didnt). No one is driving around riding or hitting bumpstops except in maybe extreme situations...situations you dont ever encounter during street driving.

I have seen a lot of your other posts killerbee, you have a fixation with bumpstops. I have driven my car hard and pushed it and I can only recall a time or two when I hit bumpstops and it was from running up and over a big curb.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bump stop engagement is constant on these cars. Constant to the point where they are an active part of the suspension. Perhaps you should read on the difference between bottoming out and using a bump stop.

Quick Reply: Swift Spec R.... Review