S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

Swift Spec R.... Review

Old 10-17-2012, 06:24 AM

Received 193 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by DL771
Originally Posted by adrs2k' timestamp='1348508676' post='22034448
I have noticed the last few times I drove the car that VSA engages much more frequently now. I dont drive hard on the street but I do occasionally take a corner at moderate speed . Two nights ago I made a slow u turn and as I came around and just gently got back on the gas the vsa kicked in and the motor cut. I was in no way trying to slide the rear of the car, but apparently vsa thought differently and kicked in. I have also had it kick in while take a few corners at 20-30mph and when I hit the apex and start getting back on the gas the vsa kicks in. Never had this before with the stock suspension. I have noted in my review that the car transitions and sets much quicker than stock now so that might be contributing to the car wanting to break traction and wanting to rotate more now.
I have had the same exact issues since installing my Tein SRC coilovers.
I wonder what the increased spring rate or lowering the car has done to get the computer to kick in vsa. I can be steady state cornering (albeit driving quickly) and have VSA kick in. It is no big deal but it catches me off guard while cornering the car jerks and sometime engine cuts a little. Not the most pleasant thing. I am just now forced to always turn VSA off anytime I plan on driving briskly. Id prefer the car having no VSA but whatever. I would just like to know why this is happening instead of guessing...
Old 10-17-2012, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion the slight increase in comfortability for daily driving and better looks makes these worth it alone. I drive like a grandma on the streets during my commute so cannot comment on performance yet.

I do feel slight rubbing entering/exiting some driveways, although I haven't scraped the lip yet. I am installing a S Factor splitter soon to help with that just in case.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:24 AM
Community OrganizerModerator

Received 67 Likes on 55 Posts

The VSA engaged for me periodically as well when I had the KWv3's.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

THe VSA is kicking in more often because the car is too low and you are experiencing bumpsteer from compromised suspension geometry.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:42 PM

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts

I realize this is in the CR section, but it seems to be the main Spec-R thread. I hadn't seen many pictures of non-CRs with these springs so here is a picture of mine with them installed. My car is bone stock except for the new springs so this is the drop as far as a stock shocks are concerned. I thought my car handled great before, but now it's fantastic. I can't put it all on the springs however, I really needed an alignment so I think that contributed a fair bit. Either way I'm really glad I got these and I'm very happy with them.

Name:  pho3to.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  160.0 KB

Name:  ph2oto.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  177.3 KB
Old 11-17-2012, 04:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by killerbee_vr6
THe VSA is kicking in more often because the car is too low and you are experiencing bumpsteer from compromised suspension geometry.
With that said, would a bumpsteer kit help alleviate this problem? Front and rear, or more particularly in the rear?
Old 11-17-2012, 08:38 PM
Community OrganizerModerator

Received 67 Likes on 55 Posts

maranelloboy05, your car looks fantastic.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:10 PM

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by #172CR
maranelloboy05, your car looks fantastic.
Thanks, took it autocrossing today and it was a blast, I'm loving these springs.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Granted these are not a large bump in spring rate but you guys are still pretty brave for just swapping out springs and hoping the damping will work out with both the change in stroke and stiffness.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:45 AM

Received 193 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by NA1NSXR
Granted these are not a large bump in spring rate but you guys are still pretty brave for just swapping out springs and hoping the damping will work out with both the change in stroke and stiffness.
Not sure what brave has to do with it. Just swapping? These springs were designed specifically for the CR so its not like we are just putting any old spring on our car. Now I do believe you have a point about matching the Swift Spec R with the standard AP2 damper. That is a mismatch and probably not very close to being ideal because the swifts are much stiffer than standard Ap2 springs. That said the Swift Spec R's felt very good on AP1 dampers but Ap1's have a higher spring rate than the Ap2.

No we don't have any proof but I would be very surprised if the CR dampers couldnt handle a slight spring rate increase. Dampers are not finely tuned enough to only work within a very small spring rate range. They usually are capable of working within a fairly broad range unless we are talking about a custom valved set of race dampers that are finely tuned for an exact spring rate. Even then most high end dampers work within a few hundred pound range. The CR's are valved aggressively for a street car so I do believe they are a good match. Standard Ap2's though are not valved aggressively at all from the factory and I believe the Ap2 dampers will be under dampened for the Swift Springs. Again though, AP1's were valved more aggressively than Ap2's which may make the swift's a good spring for Ap1's.

Stroke may be an issue at the limit, but for most users in a non competition setting it should not become a problem if the springs have reduced the usable stroke. I have yet to hit bumpstops and fully compress my suspension yet. One of the on/off ramps by my house has some rather large expansion joints. I used to hit those at 80mph without worry but I do slow down more towards 70-75mph now as I do worry about slamming down on the bump stops. My butt literally lifted slightly out of the seat the other day as I hit one of these joints but the car still soaked it up and never bottomed out the suspension. Not to try to validate things with pure street use (and no scientific proof), but the tracks local to me do not pose any real elevation changes or sections of track where the suspension will be worked as hard as it is on those expansion joints.

Quick Reply: Swift Spec R.... Review