S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Yet another Suspension Q (FA500s vs Ohlins?)

Old 12-27-2023, 06:58 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

definitely give the karcepts 1WNR MCS a consideration if going all the way to FP Spec. You're in the same ballpark, plus the mcs 1wnr's give you the option to convert to doubles with remote reservoirs.
The following users liked this post:
Bullwings (01-01-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 10:23 PM
Sponsor
Vendor - Starter Primary

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by azn akira
I had the FP Sports but was not impressed with the valving at all and have since revalved them to FP Spec valving. They were too soft and I needed to run them almost full stiff to control the rebound otherwise it would feel a little floaty but then they would be a bit harsh. I'd say go with standard Ohlins or step up to FP Spec
That would be correct… I think a lot of people assume the FPSport would be the go to for track use, but we specifically built the FPSport as a comfortable street shock for the average S2000. Can they be used on track? Absolutely. But the main focus is a comfortable street car - we specifically run less compression and rebound on the FPSport to take the edge off of a high performance valving curve. They were designed to be more comfortable for daily use versus the Road and Track, and specifically for staggered tire setups.

If you’re looking for a race shock, the FPSpec Long Stroke is the way to go. For a little cheaper, we do a full revalve and respiring of the Road and Track kits (short stroke) - which we have as the Race Valved 14/12kg set, using the same race winning valuing curves developed for our FPSpec Long Stroke kits - but a bit more affordable.

For a tamer / less hardcore HPDE setup that’s much more affordable, we offer the standard Road and Track with modified 12/10kg spring rates and lowering cups… that’s the most affordable of the Ohlins kits that’s track worthy… the 10/8kg are just too soft for serious track work, even with sway bars.

For those considering MCS… we’ve got something very very special coming… we’ll talk more about it shortly if you’re looking for a dedicated race shock that will top the MCS … can’t say much more publicly yet, but email us if interested info@sakebombgarage.com
Old 03-03-2024, 10:31 PM
Sponsor
Vendor - Starter Primary

Arrow

Originally Posted by ncrx
definitely give the karcepts 1WNR MCS a consideration if going all the way to FP Spec. You're in the same ballpark, plus the mcs 1wnr's give you the option to convert to doubles with remote reservoirs.
Not so fast…. Those considering the MCS 2+ way might want to keep an eye on our social media and the forum here for an announcement coming very shortly that we have had to keep quiet for a long time.

Also our current FPSpec Long Stroke are literally on SCCA and NASA 1st place podium winning cars across the country, they’re proven to win races. We’d be happy to back to back test a similar MCS versus our FPSpec Long Stroke for lap times at any of the Northern California tracks on a similarly setup car. We’re THAT confident with what we’ve built. Not to say the MCS are a slouch coilover… but we’re extremely impressed with the performance of what we’ve built with the Ohlins Patented DFV High Speed Blowoff, and patented temp correction valve in addition to many other features lacking in other coil overs. They are not only consistent first lap to last, they allow drivers to plow through mid corner bumps, dips, berms, etc without transferring this force to the chassis. There’s a reason top racers are running our hardware, but also a reason they keep it pretty quiet… our brakes and suspension are a huge performance advantage over the rest of the pack. With the new hardware coming, we believe we’re going to take this secret sauce to an entirely new level
Old 03-03-2024, 10:37 PM
Sponsor
Vendor - Starter Primary

Originally Posted by azn akira
I had the FP Sports but was not impressed with the valving at all and have since revalved them to FP Spec valving. They were too soft and I needed to run them almost full stiff to control the rebound otherwise it would feel a little floaty but then they would be a bit harsh. I'd say go with standard Ohlins or step up to FP Spec
Hopefully we were able to help you out… I think a lot of customers assume since the FPSport is more expensive than the Road and Track they are *more* track focused. But they’re actually more *street* focused for every day comfortable use. Yes, they’re absolutely traceable for fun HPDE track days, but you’re not going to win any races on them, they’re meant to balance street comfort for every day use with decent backroads and track performance. One of the big complaints for Phlins is the harshness of the R/T, which was the original starting point for our dedicated track developed curves - running much more compression and rebound. We’re about 30-40% less with the Sport kits, and with the higher spring rates we have more compression stroke and droop travel with the amount of stroke available in the rear (a softer spring requires more stroke to take up the same bump as a stiffer spring, so running a bit higher rate alleviates the compression stroke issue with the non-long-stroke shocks.
Old 03-04-2024, 07:40 AM

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SakeBomb Garage
Hopefully we were able to help you out… I think a lot of customers assume since the FPSport is more expensive than the Road and Track they are *more* track focused. But they’re actually more *street* focused for every day comfortable use. Yes, they’re absolutely traceable for fun HPDE track days, but you’re not going to win any races on them, they’re meant to balance street comfort for every day use with decent backroads and track performance. One of the big complaints for Phlins is the harshness of the R/T, which was the original starting point for our dedicated track developed curves - running much more compression and rebound. We’re about 30-40% less with the Sport kits, and with the higher spring rates we have more compression stroke and droop travel with the amount of stroke available in the rear (a softer spring requires more stroke to take up the same bump as a stiffer spring, so running a bit higher rate alleviates the compression stroke issue with the non-long-stroke shocks.
I think you need to re-write your description of the FPSPort on your product page because it doesn't read like that.

The FPSpec valving is so much better than the FPSport valving, I actually think its more comfortable on the street since the rebound has more control and you don't need to run them so stiff. I am very happy with the FPSpec re-valve, new springs, full floating top hats, and lowering cups I purchased from you. I'm going back to Buttonwillow later this month and can't wait to see how they perform

Last edited by azn akira; 03-04-2024 at 08:08 AM.