S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Wheeling bear or... front

Old 02-16-2013, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheeling bear or... front

Hello,

I'm having an issue with my front side passenger suspension..

- growling in roundabouts, going left
- -.8 camber max, according to the alignment guy. Zero toe. The other side can get up to -1.5 (or a few points more)
- when I have the car jacked up, there is play in the wheel. I can shake the wheel side to side but not in a vertical position.

I know the growling is from the wheel bearing.. but could a bad wheel bearing cause camber issues?

Car was purchased a few months ago, 01 100k miles.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:38 AM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Bearing is most likely result of an accident, you might have a bent knuckle or control arm.

Figure out what's bent first then replace the bearing, you don't want to replace a bearing then find out the knuckle is bent and have to do that work all over again.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:04 PM

Wheel bearings can go bad with, or without accident damage. They do wear out with mileage. Also, if you have play side to side, but not top to bottom, then you have a bad inner, or outer tie rod end. The bearing may have just started to make noise, but might not have any play in it just yet. No a wheel bearing cannot cause camber issues, if you let the bearing get so bad that its causing camber issues, then your wheel is falling off lol.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:54 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pariah
Wheel bearings can go bad with, or without accident damage. They do wear out with mileage. Also, if you have play side to side, but not top to bottom, then you have a bad inner, or outer tie rod end. The bearing may have just started to make noise, but might not have any play in it just yet. No a wheel bearing cannot cause camber issues, if you let the bearing get so bad that its causing camber issues, then your wheel is falling off lol.
He has a camber problem which is most likely the result of an impact. This impact is the cause of bearing failure not 100k or normal wear and tear.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by macr88
Bearing is most likely result of an accident, you might have a bent knuckle or control arm.

Figure out what's bent first then replace the bearing, you don't want to replace a bearing then find out the knuckle is bent and have to do that work all over again.
Good call lol. I think I will measure the distance from ball joint to ball joint with a piece of string. I tried using a tape measure.. but it didn't work out to well.

Originally Posted by Pariah
I also was suspecting that it would be the tie rod.

I will report back later.