S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

What Suspension Upgrade for AP2

Old 10-03-2024, 11:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone have experience with this Spoon/Showa setup? These are their descriptions from Spoon website.

"Using a normal damper, the height of the vehicle can be lowered, roll on winding roads can be suppressed, and both steering and safety can be improved accordingly. Lowers the car's center of gravity stiffens suspension for improved handling without sacrificing ride quality. Lowers about 25mm. Spoon Progressive Spring Rates: Front 4.7 kg/mm, Rear 6.9 kg/mm. (Stock Spring Rates: Front 3.91 kg/mm, Rear 5.20 kg/mm)"

"Spoon Fixed Type Dampers can be used with any OEM sized spring. Improves handling with stiffer compression and rebound valving. Designed to be used with high grip radial tires."
Old 10-03-2024, 11:35 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,253 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Knowing the S2000's horrible suspension was designed by high school interns in after school programs and was optimized for Blizzak winter tires ANY suspension change will be an instant improvement! Gotta love advertising copy!

-- Chuck
Old 10-03-2024, 11:50 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,539 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Matchbox
Correct. 95% of motorcycle riders are helpless and lost with adjusting their shocks and forks. Up to 30 Clicks each for rebound and compression (Compression sometimes additional divided into low and high speed) + spring preload adjusting for rider weight...
I never once adjusted the shock damping or rebound on any of my Honda dirt bikes that I raced. They were probably a bit stiff (set for a rider of 180-200 lbs), but I still bottomed them out in races.

Earlier bikes I rode had throw-away suspension parts that failed shortly after seeing any dirt. The aftermarket ones in those early days were so sensitive to even the oil you used in them.
Old 10-03-2024, 03:50 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,414 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by JayRoo
Does anyone have experience with this Spoon/Showa setup? These are their descriptions from Spoon website.

"Using a normal damper, the height of the vehicle can be lowered, roll on winding roads can be suppressed, and both steering and safety can be improved accordingly. Lowers the car's center of gravity stiffens suspension for improved handling without sacrificing ride quality. Lowers about 25mm. Spoon Progressive Spring Rates: Front 4.7 kg/mm, Rear 6.9 kg/mm. (Stock Spring Rates: Front 3.91 kg/mm, Rear 5.20 kg/mm)"

"Spoon Fixed Type Dampers can be used with any OEM sized spring. Improves handling with stiffer compression and rebound valving. Designed to be used with high grip radial tires."

I don't think that's a super popular kit. You could search google for that kit and see if you find a thread with someone using them.
Old 10-03-2024, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
I don't think that's a super popular kit. You could search google for that kit and see if you find a thread with someone using them.
yeah, it doesn’t seem to be popular. I was scrolling Spoon USA and saw them and was curious. They come separate and together they would be about $2000 or so. Which puts it above the HKS Hipermax but below some other popular coilovers. I find the price odd because they are fixed settings. But they are made for the S2000 specifically and the springs are set for the car as well and will stiffen it up and drop the height about an inch which i was looking to do about that much anyway. Im not going to track my car and want to have a nice performing street car and i dont want to roll the fenders.

Good advice though. Ill try to look them up on google to see if anyone is using them.
Old 10-03-2024, 06:08 PM

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,086 Posts

The problem with those is your dropping some coin, but they're not rebuildable. That is a prime concern. How many places can rebuild, how available are parts now, and likelihood of future.

Keep in mind spring rates on those are ap1 on steroids. So tail happy (which some, myself included, prefer. But anyone that learned to drive with fwd might find them too active). Also, these springs would be very inappropriate for square setups. This is really a stagger only setup.
Old 10-03-2024, 06:29 PM
Member (Premium)

yeah, it doesn’t seem to be popular. I was scrolling Spoon USA and saw them and was curious. They come separate and together they would be about $2000 or so. Which puts it above the HKS Hipermax but below some other popular coilovers. I find the price odd because they are fixed settings. But they are made for the S2000 specifically and the springs are set for the car as well and will stiffen it up and drop the height about an inch which i was looking to do about that much anyway. Im not going to track my car and want to have a nice performing street car and i dont want to roll the fenders.

Good advice though. Ill try to look them up on google to see if anyone is using them.
You could just get the Bilstein PSS9 to achieve what you're trying to do. Easy spec.
Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
The problem with those is your dropping some coin, but they're not rebuildable. That is a prime concern. How many places can rebuild, how available are parts now, and likelihood of future.

Keep in mind spring rates on those are ap1 on steroids. So tail happy (which some, myself included, prefer. But anyone that learned to drive with fwd might find them too active). Also, these springs would be very inappropriate for square setups. This is really a stagger only setup.
That's a good point about squared setups. I plan to go square so I can rotate since I'm just planning on having a good performing street car. I need to lookup what spring rates people are using for squared setups. Thanks for the comment

Originally Posted by B serious
You could just get the Bilstein PSS9 to achieve what you're trying to do. Easy spec.
Can you elaborate please? As far as spring rates and other adjustments? For squared street setup? Thanks for the recommendation
Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM
Member (Premium)

That's a good point about squared setups. I plan to go square so I can rotate since I'm just planning on having a good performing street car. I need to lookup what spring rates people are using for squared setups. Thanks for the comment

Can you elaborate please? As far as spring rates and other adjustments? For squared street setup? Thanks for the recommendation
The PSS9 uses a front biased spring rate. The staggered rates are similar to stock CR rates. The dampers have a 9 step adjustment knob. You simply pick 1 out of 9 settings for damping. And you lower the car how you want. I recommend only lowering about 1" or so. Much more than that, and you'd want a different coilover.

I wouldn't worry too much about technical things for a street setup. Anything you can drive comfortably and consistently in a spirited manner is good for a fun street car. A bonus is the ability to look at it when its parked and go "huehehhheh...yeuhhh (ride height looks good)".

If you buy the PSS9, lower it *at most* 1" or so, and then set the damping to whatever you feel tickles your pickle, you'll be happy.

Matching specific springs and damping for squared tire setups via objective data is like...boring track setup bullshit. KnowwhatImean? It doesn't amount to much of anything for a street car.

Last edited by B serious; Yesterday at 09:39 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM

Received 115 Likes on 105 Posts

The Spoon name = 2-3x more expensive than equivalent springs. I'd think same for the dampers.

Quick Reply: What Suspension Upgrade for AP2