S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

What Suspension Upgrade for AP2

Old 08-17-2024, 05:25 AM

Received 316 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by rsq2_15
I know there's been endless discussion on Bilstein vs KW vs Ohlins vs others. Good to hear your happy with Bilstein. Suspension is my next purchase and I'm trying to decide how to go. I was pretty set on Ohlins but Bilstein would definitely save some cash and may be just as good for my needs. I don't daily it. Almost exclusively used for autocross, rare spirited drives, occasional track day.

Did you install the B16's yourself? How was the install? I've already stripped my trunk for weight so I have easy access to my rear struts.
Install was super easy. Dont let anybody tell you that you have to remove the fuel pipe, with the right combination of socket and extension you can remove the nuts wich hold the rear drive side strut. Just bend the rubber cover away with the ratchet. See picture. You need a Spring compressor to remove the top hats and reuse them, but you dont need to much pressure on the springs. Feeld super safe.
The good thing about the B16 is that you can adjust the damping until you feel fine. I am on click 4 (Soft side) from 9 possible.
Get a allignement and "Clock the bushings" afterwards ASAP.

Only drawback is that it looks akward, the car sits much higher on the front when installed the B16 with max. height adjusted. But hey, you can adjust it...

The following 2 users liked this post by Mr.Matchbox:
cosmomiller (08-17-2024), rsq2_15 (08-17-2024)
Old 08-17-2024, 11:50 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Matchbox
Install was super easy. Dont let anybody tell you that you have to remove the fuel pipe, with the right combination of socket and extension you can remove the nuts wich hold the rear drive side strut. Just bend the rubber cover away with the ratchet. See picture. You need a Spring compressor to remove the top hats and reuse them, but you dont need to much pressure on the springs. Feeld super safe.
The good thing about the B16 is that you can adjust the damping until you feel fine. I am on click 4 (Soft side) from 9 possible.
Get a allignement and "Clock the bushings" afterwards ASAP.

Only drawback is that it looks akward, the car sits much higher on the front when installed the B16 with max. height adjusted. But hey, you can adjust it...
Very nice. And super helpful. Thank you. I'm a weekend warrior mechanic though. I can follow youtube and do a lot of my own work. What does it mean to "clock the bushings" though? Sorry if a noob question. I are one..
Old 08-17-2024, 12:38 PM

Received 1,716 Likes on 1,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Matchbox
Do you have a picture of how the car sits? If you lowered your front would it be just like stock? I believe I understand the B16s will result in an inch lower without any intentional lowering adjustment.
Old 08-17-2024, 05:03 PM

Received 1,375 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by rsq2_15
Very nice. And super helpful. Thank you. I'm a weekend warrior mechanic though. I can follow youtube and do a lot of my own work. What does it mean to "clock the bushings" though? Sorry if a noob question. I are one..
You have to loosen up all the pivoting bushing bolts and the re-tighten them with the car sitting at its new ride height.
Old 08-18-2024, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Do you have a picture of how the car sits? If you lowered your front would it be just like stock? I believe I understand the B16s will result in an inch lower without any intentional lowering adjustment.
Here you go, B16, max. height adjusted:

Problem is, living in Germany, i have to obey our traffic laws and rules. I am only allowed to adjust the height as given by Bilsten in the instructions and the german TUV approval.
But, yes, i could lower the front .

The following users liked this post:
cosmomiller (08-20-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 11:32 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

FYI, spring compressor not required for our stock shocks.

When tophat nuts reach last thread, there is a very slight amount of spring compression remaining. Very slight. No kick or jump, just a bit of pressure on last thread.

You can also install stock springs without spring compressor. Just put body weight on top hat as you get nuts started.

Its really a two person job, simply bc need more than two hands. But CAN be done alone, just frustrating and time consuming and requires a bit of strength.
The following 2 users liked this post by Car Analogy:
Mr.Matchbox (08-19-2024), noodels (08-19-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 11:36 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Regarding multiple adjustable suspension, unless you are suspension tuning expert or willing to invest time and effort to become one, its far more likely you'll wind up with suspension that performs much worse than simpler suspension with minimal adjustments (and worse than stock).

Plus you'll be driving on crappy suspension until you figure it all out.

More adjustments just means more ways to get it all wrong.
The following 4 users liked this post by Car Analogy:
Chuck S (08-20-2024), cosmomiller (08-20-2024), Mr.Matchbox (08-19-2024), noodels (08-19-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
FYI, spring compressor not required for our stock shocks.

When tophat nuts reach last thread, there is a very slight amount of spring compression remaining. Very slight. No kick or jump, just a bit of pressure on last thread.

You can also install stock springs without spring compressor. Just put body weight on top hat as you get nuts started.

Its really a two person job, simply bc need more than two hands. But CAN be done alone, just frustrating and time consuming and requires a bit of strength.
Thanks for the clarification. I explored that i didnt need much tension on the spring compressor. I was using the spring compressor because "Better be safe than Sorry".
Old 08-19-2024, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Regarding multiple adjustable suspension, unless you are suspension tuning expert or willing to invest time and effort to become one, its far more likely you'll wind up with suspension that performs much worse than simpler suspension with minimal adjustments (and worse than stock).

Plus you'll be driving on crappy suspension until you figure it all out.

More adjustments just means more ways to get it all wrong.
Correct. 95% of motorcycle riders are helpless and lost with adjusting their shocks and forks. Up to 30 Clicks each for rebound and compression (Compression sometimes additional divided into low and high speed) + spring preload adjusting for rider weight...