S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Tracking on mediocre brake pads?

Old 06-30-2011, 05:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tracking on mediocre brake pads?

About 4 months ago I swapped out an OEM set of Ap2 front pads for a set of Posi-quiet ceramic pads. The Posiquiets make about 70% less dust than stock, but seem to be slightly lower performance. I also suspect they won't hold up to heavy duty track use very well (but cannot confirm this).

I'd like to do my first track day this fall and am wondering what to do about the pads. I could just take it easy on the brakes and keep what I have now. I'd prefer to do this, honestly. However if this is just a terrible idea, then I can buy some other pads to swap out just for the day.

Thoughts?
Old 06-30-2011, 05:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't sacarafice your safety for a few hundred bucks.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:47 AM

Anyone have a more thoughtful or technical response? People track on OEM pads, right?
Old 06-30-2011, 05:53 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

For as cheap as they are I'd just buy a full set of new OEM pads. They aren't ideal but for a first track day when you aren't as likely to be pushing the car to the limit they'll probably be fine. It would depend on the track though. I wouldn't take OEM pads out on a course that's going to have you continually braking from 100+
Old 06-30-2011, 06:01 AM

The track would be Road Atlanta. You are correct, I won't be going crazy with it the first time out. I just kind of want to get my feet wet.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:23 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

The closest I've come to Road Atlanta is Forza but you've got a pretty long straight that's downhill at the end in which you'll be braking pretty hard. I imagine you'll be easily over 100 by the time you need to brake. I'm not sure I'd want OEM pads for that even if I was taking it easy.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:26 AM

Well crap. How difficult is it to swap out the brake pads? If I swapped them out the day-of would they be ready to race or would I need to break them in before I got on them hard?

Got any pads you could recommend that wouldn't cost a fortune and that might fit my needs (ie: work, but not tear up my rotors).
Old 06-30-2011, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by //steve\\
The closest I've come to Road Atlanta is Forza but you've got a pretty long straight that's downhill at the end in which you'll be braking pretty hard. I imagine you'll be easily over 100 by the time you need to brake.
hehe try over 120mph! I think I was hitting 128mph last time and its braking downhill
you want brakes in T1 to that should be 110mph

OEM pads are terrible
Old 07-01-2011, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you want to worry about over heating your pads and ruining the rest of your session?
Old 07-01-2011, 08:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Of course you can get away with it if you maintain a 45mph speed limit. It really depends if you are going there to track the car or out to cruise like on a partly cloudy day, top down, and soaking up the breeze while cars are flying past you at 100+.

Now if you want to seriously see some fun, then invest in some good pads (Carbotech XP10/XP8 is a good start) and good fluid (Super ATE, Motul RBF600, etc). Initial cost is high, but just swap out the pads after the track day to preserve them.

That only covers a little bit of it. The faster you get, the more you need to change the differential and transmission fluid. It's all part of the game. Cheers!

Quick Reply: Tracking on mediocre brake pads?