S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Tein SRC durability

Old 01-26-2011, 03:00 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tein SRC durability

I'm currently running on Tein SRC and the suspension really amplifies all the little imperfections on the road. By running softer damping, the ride is actually pretty comfy but bumps at higher speed can still get the car really bumpy. I was wondering how durable is this suspension for
a DD & trackday car and what signs I should look out for to consider a revalving.

If u guys run SRC & frequent tracks that are quite bumpy, would appreciate ur feedback on longevity.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:40 AM

Received 193 Likes on 119 Posts

Which model? Are these the 16k springs variation? I have the older Tein RS, with 10k springs and they are amazingly comfortable over big bumps. Perhaps your compression settings are too stiff. Trying softening the compression a few clicks.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by adrs2k,Jan 26 2011, 05:40 AM
Which model? Are these the 16k springs variation? I have the older Tein RS, with 10k springs and they are amazingly comfortable over big bumps. Perhaps your compression settings are too stiff. Trying softening the compression a few clicks.
Hi , yes mine are 16kg springs but I'm
not asking about the comfort actually, rather about the durability/longevity & revalving intervals when daily driven...
Old 01-26-2011, 03:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 4 years and 70k+ miles on mine. No leaks and they still seem to do the job at the track. I figure I've done several dozen track days on them.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K,Jan 26 2011, 04:15 PM
I have 4 years and 70k+ miles on mine. No leaks and they still seem to do the job at the track. I figure I've done several dozen track days on them.
Hi voodoo

src seems to pick up almost all the road. imperfections even tho I run 10/10 from full stiff all around. It's even bouncy in a very soft way which doesn't feel good at all. Am I running it too soft? I don't really speed on public roads but it's kinda wobbly. I was planning to run 6 from stiff front & 7 from stiff rear on track so it'd be firmer then. Just wondering if running too soft like now might be bad in the long run. Care to share ur settings if convenient(a ballpark setting is all I need as a reference)? Have u ever serviced ur src?

Hoping for some advice.

Norman
Old 01-27-2011, 07:54 AM

Norman,

10/10 I assume is 10k springs front and back. The valving wasn't really designed with that soft of a spring in mind. In Japan, the typically spring options for the SRC are 16k, 18, or 20k.

I only go that soft on my settings if I'm on a long distance road trip, otherwise going that soft creates too much unwanted shock travel and the car handles like crap. My settings would be of little use to you since I'm likely running different tires (tires do have an effect on suspension tuning), and stiffer springs.

I've never had them serviced before.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bouncy feeling you get is a result of your spring choice. To some extent you can tune this out with the shocks, but that just makes the ride harsher as you end up over damping the spring.

A higher ride frequency in the rear, which for the S2000 means a higher spring rate, results in a less bouncy and more comfortable ride. I've tried these spring rates so far: 800/700, 450/375, 375/450 & 450/700. The last two rates were the most comfortable over rough roads. I'm going to try 700/800 this week as well and I suspect that the results will be the same.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K,Jan 27 2011, 08:54 AM
Norman,

10/10 I assume is 10k springs front and back. The valving wasn't really designed with that soft of a spring in mind. In Japan, the typically spring options for the SRC are 16k, 18, or 20k.

I only go that soft on my settings if I'm on a long distance road trip, otherwise going that soft creates too much unwanted shock travel and the car handles like crap. My settings would be of little use to you since I'm likely running different tires (tires do have an effect on suspension tuning), and stiffer springs.

I've never had them serviced before.
Hey voodoo, I think I wasn't very clear. I have 16kg springs all around but I run 10clicks from full stiff (compression & rebound)all around as a DD setting. I think my setting is overly underdamped? I'm just wondering if I run say 6 clicks from full stiff daily driver whether that will hurt longevity.

Thks for sharing about never having to service. That's really excellent durability. What setting do u run for DD?

I do see ur point about ur setting probably being not so useful for me since we probably run different setups but was just curious to know if let's say u ran 5 clicks from
full stiff and still got 4yrs and counting from them, that would prove how durable the shocks are. I'm still lookig at it from durability standpoint
Old 01-27-2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by robinson,Jan 27 2011, 09:38 AM
The bouncy feeling you get is a result of your spring choice. To some extent you can tune this out with the shocks, but that just makes the ride harsher as you end up over damping the spring.

A higher ride frequency in the rear, which for the S2000 means a higher spring rate, results in a less bouncy and more comfortable ride. I've tried these spring rates so far: 800/700, 450/375, 375/450 & 450/700. The last two rates were the most comfortable over rough roads. I'm going to try 700/800 this week as well and I suspect that the results will be the same.
I have springs which r abt 900 lb/in now actually or 16 kg/mm. I suspect the lousy feeling i get is similar to voodoo experiences when he tunes soft for long distance drives. At 10clicks from full stiff all around, the suspension feels awkward & unpredictable.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by c32b,Jan 27 2011, 03:38 PM
Hey voodoo, I think I wasn't very clear. I have 16kg springs all around but I run 10clicks from full stiff (compression & rebound)all around as a DD setting. I think my setting is overly underdamped? I'm just wondering if I run say 6 clicks from full stiff daily driver whether that will hurt longevity.

Thks for sharing about never having to service. That's really excellent durability. What setting do u run for DD?

I do see ur point about ur setting probably being not so useful for me since we probably run different setups but was just curious to know if let's say u ran 5 clicks from
full stiff and still got 4yrs and counting from them, that would prove how durable the shocks are. I'm still lookig at it from durability standpoint
My settings have changed over the years and my mood. I'm usually around 6-11 clicks out from stiff.

Quick Reply: Tein SRC durability