S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Street *only* suspension: Ohlins vs PSS9 vs Hipermax S

Old 05-13-2024, 12:01 PM
sds

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Street *only* suspension: Ohlins vs PSS9 vs Hipermax S

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for a street only suspension kit for my 06 AP2, which is a bit too precious to track (have an ITS for that). I'm happy to spend the money on Ohlins, if they're right for my application. My requirements are:
  1. Little to no NVH increase over OEM (i.e. no clunking top hats, please)
  2. Better body control and reduced roll, but compliant over terrible Massachusetts roads
  3. Lowering approximately 1" all around. I think this is fairly conservative, but I'm concerned about Ohlins in the rear.
I've identified 3 different quality coilover systems -- Ohlins, PSS9s, and HKS Hipermax S (the replacement for the Hipermax GT).

Prices are different:
  • Ohlins (with rear lowering cups) are $2600
  • PSS9s are $1500
  • Hipermax S are $1500
I'm leaning PSS9/Hipermax S at the moment, with PSS9 having spring rates much closer to OEM, but the Hipermax being newer (and having updated technology). Again, if you all think Ohlins will give me good ride quality over these horrible roads, I'm more than happy to go that route!
The following users liked this post:
GBR! (05-13-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 12:24 PM

Received 419 Likes on 383 Posts

DFV will not blow with pot holes.
Old 05-13-2024, 05:33 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

You don't need special cups for Ohlins if you only want a 1" drop.

The Ohlins are very locked down and refined and You get a ton of rich info from the road...BUT they can be harsh over cracked pavement.

Bilstein are more comfortable...but a 1" drop may be a little much if you're still trying to retain comfort. It'll be on the limit. A 0.5 or 0.75" drop seems to be their sweet spot.

No experience with the Hypermax

Last edited by B serious; 05-13-2024 at 05:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GBR! (05-13-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 05:03 AM

Received 174 Likes on 132 Posts

I've had Hypermax 4 GT and currently have Ohlins R&T. Honestly I prefer the HKS for a street car.
Old 05-14-2024, 05:40 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Just installed Sakebomb fpsport Ohlins on my 05 with 48000 miles settled on a 3/4 inch drop RE71's staggered New Jersey roads .To be honest not overly impressed with them
they are good but not as good as most praise IMO. Stock suspension is good everywhere FOR the street . lots of set up till your at a setting that your happy with, very harsh over expansion joints with a setting that your happy with everywhere else I personally can see how sets come up for sale used with 500 miles on them . I have no experience with the other brands but do wonder if the Spoon sport shocks made by
SHOWA would be a great OEM + set up for the street .just my 2 cents
Old 05-14-2024, 07:28 AM
sds

Originally Posted by B serious
You don't need special cups for Ohlins if you only want a 1" drop.

The Ohlins are very locked down and refined and You get a ton of rich info from the road...BUT they can be harsh over cracked pavement.

Bilstein are more comfortable...but a 1" drop may be a little much if you're still trying to retain comfort. It'll be on the limit. A 0.5 or 0.75" drop seems to be their sweet spot.

No experience with the Hypermax
That's my concern and why I'm leaning PSS9 or Hipermax -- I know the Ohlins are supposed to be "magical", but the roads here are horrible.

Originally Posted by Orjinal
I've had Hypermax 4 GT and currently have Ohlins R&T. Honestly I prefer the HKS for a street car.
Any chance you can expand a bit? Curious to hear more!

Originally Posted by trackmagic
Just installed Sakebomb fpsport Ohlins on my 05 with 48000 miles settled on a 3/4 inch drop RE71's staggered New Jersey roads .To be honest not overly impressed with them
they are good but not as good as most praise IMO. Stock suspension is good everywhere FOR the street . lots of set up till your at a setting that your happy with, very harsh over expansion joints with a setting that your happy with everywhere else I personally can see how sets come up for sale used with 500 miles on them . I have no experience with the other brands but do wonder if the Spoon sport shocks made by
SHOWA would be a great OEM + set up for the street .just my 2 cents
Have you had any other suspension on your car besides stock? I am considering the Spoon dampers, although my understanding is that their compression damping is on the stiff side (similar to the OE CR shocks).
Old 05-14-2024, 07:51 AM
sds

Well I jumped the gun a bit and bought a set of PSS9's off RockAuto for ~$1400. I was drawn to the more street-friendly spring rates -- I can always run CR bars if I want more roll stiffness...
Old 05-14-2024, 09:19 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

The best roll control comes from progressive rate springs. Most lowering springs are progressive, but almost no coilovers are.

Progressive is great on street, track not so much. Hence why coilovers typically don't use.

Why progressive control roll? Because inside spring pushes up way harder than outside spring in transitions and corners. It even makes steering feel way more immediate.

The only coilover for our platform that I know if that uses progressive springs is H&R. These are same shock as Bilstein pss (even says on side of shock), but with H&R springs and damping to match.

These are not adjustable except for ride height (via preload, like all pss).

The pss spring rates are even more front biased than your '06, even more than CR. Ideal for square setup, and more of a track bias (though too low a rate to be useful for track). Some like the more planted feel and more fwd like understeer. The H&R coilover spring rate bias is more street focused, 345/345.
Old 05-14-2024, 06:53 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Originally Posted by sds
Well I jumped the gun a bit and bought a set of PSS9's off RockAuto for ~$1400. I was drawn to the more street-friendly spring rates -- I can always run CR bars if I want more roll stiffness...
Ha! A set popped up on Rockauto again eh?

Good price and I doubt you will regret it.
Old 05-15-2024, 11:59 AM

Received 435 Likes on 324 Posts

I have had HKS Hipermax IV GT on my car since fall 2016 and the car rides really well. Comfy and composed, though I think it rolls a bit more than some may like.

I am also in Wisconsin, so only upstate NY in the lower 48 of the US can really claim same ballpark for awful roads.

Quick Reply: Street *only* suspension: Ohlins vs PSS9 vs Hipermax S