S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Stoptech Price Increase?

Old 03-07-2022, 06:52 AM

Received 1,478 Likes on 1,106 Posts

Agree on the above. And the ST40 is still the one I keep coming back to in terms of something I may buy if I go BBK. I would do it for track use/consumables. But along with the cost of the kit, I have to consider that I have to buy new wheels too.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shift9303
I too have been disheartened by the price increases with the Stoptech kits. First the ST40s skyrocketed and recently it seems like the C43 kits have also nearly doubled in cost. At this point they're not much of a budget option anymore. I think they're made in China or Taiwan? Either way probably a byproduct of the pandemic and supply chain issues.

SBG offers a custom Wilwood BBK with the regular superlite calipers for 1350, this is different from the off the shelf Wilwood kit with the narrow superlite 6R calipers. They have two versions, one to pair with oem rotors and one with bigger pots to match their rear bbk. However the turn off for me is that even the one that's supposed to match stock rear calibers moves the brake bias. I think some one here on S2KI crunched the numbers and it moves the brake bias slightly rearward because the pots are slightly undersized.

SBG also has two AP kits available. One with the CP8350 calipers and one with CP8240 calipers. The CP8350 caliper kit runs 3000 and I believe it also shifts the brake bias forward and is meant to match their rear BBK. The CP8240 caliper kit is 2700 and is supposed to go with the stock rear caliper.

At this point I'm leaning towards SBG's cheaper AP kit. My only reservation is that from what I've read the AP calipers tend to be on the fatter side and sometimes have trouble with wheel clearance.
Anyone know the differences between the CP8240 and CP8350 aside from brake bias? Any difference in overall performance?

This looks like a pretty affordable kit considering the ST40 kit is about $3500 USD right now which is a huge increase when you consider that the C43 kit was about $2500 USD not too long ago (now ~$5700 USD).
Old 03-07-2022, 08:41 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,418 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Brake bias is a huge factor in overall performance.

It seems like one is meant to be paired with a rear BBK...which would increase cost, if your goal is to do it properly.

Do the AP kits have booted pistons and how often is a rebuild needed?
Old 03-07-2022, 08:43 AM

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by highcam
Anyone know the differences between the CP8240 and CP8350 aside from brake bias? Any difference in overall performance?

This looks like a pretty affordable kit considering the ST40 kit is about $3500 USD right now which is a huge increase when you consider that the C43 kit was about $2500 USD not too long ago (now ~$5700 USD).
I think the street price of the ST40s is closer to 2600-2700. At least that’s where it’s listed on tire rack. I’ve shopped around a little and sometimes find them for 2400-2500 ish.

I also forgot about the Urge AP racing kit. Looks like it also uses the CP8350 calipers but is paired to 299x32 rotors and it’s supposed to maintain OEM bias. Looks like it’s listed at 2400 which is funny since I remember it being more.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:54 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Yeah I recently noticed the huge price increase of the Stoptech kits and couldn't believe! I've got a really nice low mile used approx (5000 miles) Trophy/w dust boot option kit with an extra brand new still in package caliper and rotor and replacement pads for both sides for sale, so I was trying to figure out the resale market on what I have. That said if anyone interested in acquiring you can PM me. The kit is still on the car as I haven't been to motivated about letting this go, so I have to remove yet and don't have advertised, but will eventually. Maybe if someone here wants, it will motivate me to remove and part with.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 03-07-2022 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Brake bias is a huge factor in overall performance.

It seems like one is meant to be paired with a rear BBK...which would increase cost, if your goal is to do it properly.

Do the AP kits have booted pistons and how often is a rebuild needed?
Would it be beneficial to have a more front bias if running 255 square?

I believe the AP kits don't have the dust covers, not sure about service periods.

I'm honestly mostly street driven, but mostly street driven for me is ~2500 sunny miles a year so the dust boosts don't mean too much to me. With that noted, low maintenance would be a plus.
Old 03-07-2022, 10:18 AM

Received 176 Likes on 133 Posts

Yeah, its possible that the latest price increase is due to more operations moving to the US.

If that's the case then its another reason to buy their kit, right?

It could also mean that the parts are assembled in the US, using global sourcing.

Either way, if they're making efforts to operate in the US, then its a big plus in my book.
Well yes and no.

When I had decided to purchase StopTech I thought they were made in the US, so it must be good right? And then it was a "nice" surprise to see 90% of the kit being made overseas. The same could also be true now and the price increase could be due to overall price hike on many things such as raw materials.
Old 03-07-2022, 11:50 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,418 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by Orjinal
Well yes and no.

When I had decided to purchase StopTech I thought they were made in the US, so it must be good right? And then it was a "nice" surprise to see 90% of the kit being made overseas. The same could also be true now and the price increase could be due to overall price hike on many things such as raw materials.

I'm just going by what's on their site...

I am sure there are globally sourced components/labour involved at some point. The price is way too low for the parts and assembly to be 100% USA origin.

Old 03-07-2022, 01:06 PM

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm not sure about the differences between the CP8350 and CP8240 caliper. You can find the tech sheets online but I'm not super literate in these things. The biggest difference I can ascertain is that the CP8350 has a bigger piston area which should be obvious. Otherwise construction and overall appearance seems very similar. They both have dust boots too it seems based on spec sheets.

One thing I would note is difference in wheel spoke clearance. The SBG provides the same template for all their kits (Wilwood and AP). It appears that the WIlwood and AP racing kit have the same maximum outboard width however overall profile is different. The Wilwood is pointier and the AP is fatter at the center. The AP racing kit is 3 mm wider outboard than Stop Tech. On the SBG kits this probably doesn't matter. On the Urge kit where the rotor is actually smaller in diameter this can significantly affect clearance. The caliper is both thicker and closer to the center which can cause interference with the more inward portions of concave spokes.

Here is the overlap of all three templates. Blue is Stop Tech, Orange is SBG Wilwood/AP racing and black is Urge AP racing.

Stoptech Price Increase?-vuetqqz.jpg
Old 03-07-2022, 01:34 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm just going by what's on their site...
i've got 2 sets of recent c43 rotor replacements, one pillar from a couple years ago, and one aerovane new as of a couple weeks.
They both have 'Country of Origin CN' stamped on the label on the 4 boxes.
Maybe all the castings come from China and final milling, machining, balancing happens in the usa? i dunno.

Quick Reply: Stoptech Price Increase?