S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Stoptech BBK pads

Old 12-03-2013, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stoptech BBK pads

Just a quick question.
I have the stoptech BBK in front. I was curious what pads people are using for track duty only cars? I currently have Pagid yellow but they seem harsh on the rotor surface.
What have you used and what has worked well?
Thanks
Old 12-03-2013, 06:20 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That's strange. My experience with Pagid Yellow's (RS29) was very good. I wouldn't call them harsh on the rotors. If anything, they are pretty tame when it comes to rotor wear. They are however a bit finicky to bed in. Once done correctly, they will not eat rotors.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Pete!

Do you have any pictures of your rotors? How much track time have your rotors seen? Are you street driving them or swapping to street pads?

Im running the 328mm stoptech kit up front as well and so far Ive had good luck with Carbotech XP10 and especially the Project Mu Club Racers being kind to the rotors. After 11 track days (21hr 30min of track time) plus roughly 8,000 street miles with XP10s and 7 track days (11hr 55min) plus roughly 5,000 street miles with the Club Racers my rotors have heavy crazing but they are nearly the same thickness as new and there is very minimal grooving on the face of the rings.

Ive also heard PFCs compounds are all very kind to discs. Many of the Porsche guys that have been using RS29 religiously are moving to PFC 08 and now the new 12 compound

Ill be trying some offerings from PFC coming up here so I can give more feedback.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:33 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 356 Likes on 309 Posts

I used this site for my brembo pads. Here is the list of pads for the stoptech kit.

http://store.zeckhausen.com/catalog/...p?cPath=24_411

I am just running the stoptech pads on my brembos but will likely upgrade this summer when I will track the car some so I would like to hear some info on this as well.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:03 PM

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

I've just been tracking with the Stoptech street pads that come with the BBK. As long as you're still naturally aspirated (so not boosted making 300+whp), the stock pads hold up just fine with brake ducts. I have 5 track days (two at Streets of Willow, Big Willow, Autoclub, Chuckwalla), 5 dozen auto-x runs, 25k street miles, and I still have about 7mm of pad left on the fronts. The rear pads are getting pretty thin (3-4mm) and I do not have rear brake ducts yet. Two of those track days were in 90F-100F weather. The key here is BRAKE DUCTS on the front.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:44 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

With the stoptech BBK I'm not convinced ducting the fronts is that important for better brake wear. My rears are wearing WAY faster than the fronts. I need new rears after 12-13 days but my fronts look like they have at least 80%+ remaining (performance friction 08 front st40 and 97 rear OEM caliper)
Old 12-04-2013, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

">

Here is a pic of a rotor. The scoring is what concerns me not pad wear. I have about 5 track days on the pads. Not sure about the rotors. I run Nitto NT-01 when at the track. I do use the same pads and rotors on the street because I don't drive the car enough on the street to warrant changing them out. There are some fractures at the crossdrilled holes. I have another set of rotors that are not cross drilled.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:06 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

To me, it looks like the scoring is somehow caused by the rotor holes... I don't think it's a specific problem with the pad. I've used the pad, and it was no more aggressive on rotors than the PFC06/08's I'm using currently.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:55 PM

Received 117 Likes on 82 Posts

Yep, the holes are shearing the pad surface all the time giving the grooves, They're normally countersunk pretty deep and overlapping to prevent it but it looks like whoever made those just slapped a pattern in the program and ran with it.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:26 PM

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by afzan
With the stoptech BBK I'm not convinced ducting the fronts is that important for better brake wear. My rears are wearing WAY faster than the fronts. I need new rears after 12-13 days but my fronts look like they have at least 80%+ remaining (performance friction 08 front st40 and 97 rear OEM caliper)
The ducting allows the use of the street pad. They typically can't take the heat of track pads.

I honestly wonder why you guys run track pads with the Stoptech BBK if you're still naturally aspirated. I have no doubt the Stoptech street pads hold up just fine with ducting based on my track experience.

Also, I would never use cross-drilled rotors on a track car. The holes just create stress concentrations which lead to cracking.

Quick Reply: Stoptech BBK pads