S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Stock vs. CR with Swift Spec R vs. KW V3 Review [from a Street Use Perspective]

Old 01-20-2014, 11:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stock vs. CR with Swift Spec R vs. KW V3 Review [from a Street Use Perspective]

Hey guys,

I have been through some suspension testing and I wanted to write a review regarding two of the most discussed suspension setups.

This review is from a daily driver / weekend + canyon warrior stand point. You can find track reviews out there but this is purely from the perspective of driving a performance car through the canyons and normal streets. I wanted my car to handle even better than stock, sit slightly lower, but still have comfort for daily drive without sacrificing performance. I also live in LA where the roads are the worst of any roads in any state I've been to - it's that bad!

First off, having daily drive 2 AP2s prior to building my weekend car, I am very familiar with the stock AP2 suspension. Admittedly, the S2k is one of the best handling cars ever made - ever. But there are things that the stock suspension can't do for me. First, the car sits too high from the factory - most of you would agree. Second, the softness of the suspension also translates to the car "hopping" over speed bumps, or really any imperfections on the road. It's not unbearable by any means, but I knew a good suspension setup will help with this issue. Second, the body roll is noticeable on the stock suspension.

CR with Swift Spec R

-I have driven a stock CR and I can tell you that the Swift Spec R takes what is already a great suspension setup and makes it even better. The CR has a stiff suspension setup so for daily driving you experience more of the road which is good for spirited drives but bad with pot holes. But of course, I still don't consider it bad for daily at all - however, with the Swift Spec Rs, the springs seem to help a lot of that harshness and the car seems to absorb more of the roads' imperfections. The ride is still very stiff but in a good way - it seems that the springs also help eliminate some of the body roll. If you combine this with the AP1 sway bars or CR sway bars you're looking at a really sweet daily drivable setup in the $1500 range. The CR shocks can be had new for $1100-$1200 and the springs are about $350. Swift had build the Spec R springs for the CR shocks so you know it will be a great combination. For its price range, I don't think any coil overs will beat the experience - especially if you don't like spending hours adjusting ride height, and dialing in the suspension. Just slap them on, align the car, and you're done!

[attachment=52477:Photo Jan 20, 12 37 01 PM.jpg]

KW Variant 3

-I had my CR/Swift setup for about 1 month and did two nice canyon runs with it before making the very big mistake of driving my friend's AP2 with KW V3s and Eibach Sway bars. The first impression was: comfort! The KWs are two ways adjustable (rebound and compression) and my main reason to go with them is because of the LA roads. While Santa Monica has very nice roads and great canyons for driving, my work sometimes takes me through LA and bad is an understatement.

My first impression of the KW (at factory setting) is wow - plenty of grip, smooth ride, and more predictable. The KW lets you get to your limit and know when the car will reach that point and it does it with precision. The other advantage is that it eliminates even more body roll. I prefer my car to not feel "loose" on the road - that's why I'm going to add sway bars as well. We spent over an hour and a half adjusting the ride height and the compression / rebound. My setting landed at compression 12 front 14 rear (KW recommends 10 f 12 r for street / track combined use). The compression is left at the recommended 5 from full stiff (out of 14)

I will add more to this review after I get more seat time with the KW but so far I'm loving it. Now, the question is, if I didn't get them in a trade, would I have still bought them? The answer will come in the next part of the review.

[attachment=52476:Photo Jan 20, 12 35 12 PM.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails Stock vs. CR with Swift Spec R vs. KW V3 Review [from a Street Use Perspective]-photo-jan-20-12-35-12-pm.jpg   Stock vs. CR with Swift Spec R vs. KW V3 Review [from a Street Use Perspective]-photo-jan-20-12-37-01-pm.jpg  
Old 01-20-2014, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice review Alvin!
Old 01-20-2014, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by joey77051
nice review Alvin!
Thanks bro! Hoping this will help some members
Old 01-20-2014, 04:49 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

So in short...the KWs are worth the extra money?
Old 01-20-2014, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by RedCelica
So in short...the KWs are worth the extra money?
Given the price difference is roughly $800 ($1500 Cr/Swift vs $2300 KW V3) I think for most people the CR/Swift is a better combination for your money. No adjustments needed and it's got the perfect drop. It's aggressive enough for the occasional track / autox days and spirited canyon runs.

If you're like me and you live in a metro area where the roads are shitty (read: downtown Seattle, LA county, etc) and you want to go lower than the Spec R's then you will find the $800 is worth it for the ability to soften the ride for daily driving. For driving around town with the Voltex kit, I raised the front by 1/4 compared to the spec R and lowered the rear by 1/2 inch.