S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Science of Speed directionally vaned rotors

Old 04-20-2011, 08:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by c32b
Originally Posted by Orpheus' timestamp='1301964686' post='20429647
these things a good idea? normally the entrance for air is in the back of the rotor, and i think everyone does it that way for a reason. also, lots of people have brake ducting, and that directs air to the back, where the vanes and air entrances normally are. this probably makes ducting less effective. why did they cover the back and have the vents in the front?
Interested in product but also wondering why the air entrance at the rear is closed. My ducting will become less effective?
here's another thread in the racing forum:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/859...-a-difference/

you'll see track guys have the same concern.

objective data like actual brake rotor temps measured with a pyrometer after track sessions would be nice. and comparisons of effects with brake ducting.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Orpheus
these things a good idea? normally the entrance for air is in the back of the rotor, and i think everyone does it that way for a reason. also, lots of people have brake ducting, and that directs air to the back, where the vanes and air entrances normally are. this probably makes ducting less effective. why did they cover the back and have the vents in the front?
That is a good question. This design is more efficient for air flow. Explanation listed:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/859...s-a-difference

Cheers,
-- Chris
Old 04-20-2011, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clarkster009
Pics are good but what do you think of the performance after driving on them?

I put up a quick blurb a few posts up...... the small brake fade I was experincing towards the end of a 20min session is gone after putting these on.

Originally Posted by midnightmethane
is it me or did you forget to secure the rotor on the hub (aka no screws)?

didn't forget......see below

Originally Posted by EternalLx
Rotor will be secured once you bolt the wheel on.

Having the screw in just makes swapping rotors next time more troublesome especially if its rusted.

@Kinetic
did you measure temperature differences?

I was going too but the last event I ran was our Annual Night event.... for this event I am the Modified Tuner Shootout Event Director for the magazine and NASA AZ ( see the upcoming August issue for results), the NASA AZ UMS Tuning Time Attack event Director, the HPDE Tech Chief, and I was helping an buddy with his first event at this track..... so unfortunately I was pretty busy... I actually only ran 3 of my 6 track sessions.

I will try and have some results after the next event.

SoS was going to run some tests but they had a front rotor fail on their Time Attack AP2 and couldn't finish the test.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:57 PM

Received 193 Likes on 119 Posts

^ I would hope this "failure" was on a different brand of rotor? Not the ones being advertised here...
Old 04-21-2011, 07:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by adrs2k
^ I would hope this "failure" was on a different brand of rotor? Not the ones being advertised here...
No, they were factory Honda rotors that split from the hub to the edge of the disc after 5 track weekends on our 05. It was too bad, as the track that the Modified Magazine event was placed at is a very consistent track with a hard 130 mph braking zone which we were using to conduct temperature testing. The factory disc cracking early will delay the testing to the next event.

Here are some more photos from that event:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/news/0...fied_Magazine/

regards,
-- Chris
Old 04-21-2011, 01:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ordered some...SOS is respected and to be honest, I just love the look of the J hooks. I will be going from rotors that have already been resurfaced to these with Hawk HP+, so I am sure I'll notice an improvement. Pricing wasn't bad, especially if they are good quality and durable. I'll try to remember to report back in a couple weeks and months with feedback.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:24 PM
Former Sponsor

We have a discount package running until the end of May for brake pads + rotors. Check it out:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/862...nted-packages/

cheers,
-- Chris
Old 04-23-2011, 12:57 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by clarkster009
I ordered some...SOS is respected and to be honest, I just love the look of the J hooks. I will be going from rotors that have already been resurfaced to these with Hawk HP+, so I am sure I'll notice an improvement. Pricing wasn't bad, especially if they are good quality and durable. I'll try to remember to report back in a couple weeks and months with feedback.
i suggest to get other pads.
i had HP+ fading on me sever times.
and i mean complete fade. scary stuff.
no other pad did this.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kinetic S2k
man is it dark in here....maybe I should have done this during the day.......

please tell me you have jack stand under the car.

the rotors look good, but not sure how they perform on track unless temperature data is taken.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is off topic but i see u have the ksports suspesion. how u like em??

Quick Reply: Science of Speed directionally vaned rotors