S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

SBG FPSport vs stock Ohlins question.

Old 03-03-2024, 10:52 PM
Sponsor
Vendor - Starter Primary

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by ThreeD
I have the FPSport. It’s ok. I would probably just do stock ohlins if I were to pick between the two. They’re not different enough for me to want to sell mine for stock though. The FPSport has a tough time controlling rebound on the rear spring and that requires running very high damping on the rear - near full stiff - to maintain rear end stability. With full stiff setup it starts to work but you are definitely losing time on the track vs a staggered spring setup. I linked a video to how it drives with a 32mm front bar.

To be clear I don’t think it’s valved well for the rates and I definitely would not put any stiffer of a rear spring on the FPSport. been considering either revalve w Urge and a 12/10 setup or to upgrade to 2W karcepts MCS setup

https://youtu.be/i51Al2OWb0c
Yeah to be honest the FPSport are set up specifically for Street use with 30-40 % reduced compression and rebound damping vs the FPSpec and R/T. The square spring rate is designed for a stock staggered tire setup, for the average S2000 for a comfortable street and backroads setup, with light track use. While they’re perfectly fine for HPDE’s, if your goal is lap times the FPSpot is not the shock we’d recommend, and we’d suggest looking at the FPSpec, Race Valved R/T, or standard R/T with upgraded spring rates.

If you’d like to revave to our FPSpec Curves and spring rates, hit us up, happy to help get you where you’d like to be at a discount. Our valving lab is internal in house (Ohlins certified Motorsports Distributor and Service center). We can turn around a revalve with our race winning FPSpec Curves in just a few days. If you’re in Northern California, we can even pull the shocks out of the car, break them down, off to the valving lab on site, and back on the car, set up and aligned. We strive to support our customers for the lifetime of their Ohlins. Info@SakeBombGarage.com
Old 03-03-2024, 10:59 PM
Sponsor
Vendor - Starter Primary

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by cenix
I've had the FPSport Ohlins DFV since 2018. I've never driven on the Karcepts MCS or the standard Ohlins DFV (10k/8k), although I've sat passenger in a car with the latter. So unfortunately, I can't comment on the driving performance of these vs. the FPSport version.

My reasoning behind getting the FPSport over the standard Ohlins was to have the ability to fine tune the spring rates up or down without revalving. I believe the FPSports can accommodate as high as 14k without the need for a revalve.

My suggestion for a primarily street driven daily S is to get the standard Ohlins DFV and spend the little extra on getting the remote adjusters for the rears, if you still have your rear trunk panel covers. It makes adjustments much quicker and easier.
The issue with the standard Ohlins offering is simply how harsh it is on the street. For a street car it’s a bit odd… soft rates, super stiff valving (the starting point we used for development of the FPSpec race curves). So with the stock spring rates, you’re limited to max 12/10kg for track use, and it’s on the stiff side for a street car. They could only make one kit so they had to make some compromises, overall it’s a good entry level kit out of the box, but is not a track focused kit due to the super soft spring rates, and is not really a street focused kit due to the high compression damping making it a stiff ride for the street. There’s quite a few ways to tweak all of these things to suit individual use cases…. For anyone unsure what direction to go in, please email us first and we can help guide you for your use case, tire setup square or stagger, sway bars, track/auto cross/street/mixed, etc.
Old 04-13-2024, 05:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

10k/8k is perfect . i even use 2mm preload. it is how you set your car.