S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Replacing suspension without lowering

Old 06-01-2015, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing suspension without lowering

Hello,

I'm experiencing some issues with my 07's suspension. It is riding a lot rougher than it should, and in the last few weeks I've started to get a thump sound from the rear driver-side wheel well. I haven't had a chance to crawl under and look at the underbelly but from the research I've done I get the impression that it's almost definitely a suspension issue. I've been looking at aftermarket shocks but everything seems to lower the car, which I don't particulary want.

I've reached out to one of the forum members who has a set of slightly used stock shocks for sale, and am waiting to hear back, but I'm still curious if there are other options that you guys know about?

The other thing I'm wondering is if this job is going to be a simple swap out, or if it's going to be more complex. I'm pretty handy with my mechanical skills, but mostly I've done brakes and fluid changes and never really messed with suspension much at all. Any info/suggestions/comments would be great to hear.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:24 PM

Awesome Racer, thanks for the reply, that helps a lot!
Old 06-01-2015, 02:27 PM
Former Sponsor

If you don't want to lower the car, a OE replacement shock is the way to go. A Koni Shock like the Orange would do you well but might lower you down just a bit.

http://store.excelerateperformance.c...s/g-56137.aspx
Old 06-04-2015, 05:45 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,406 Likes on 1,047 Posts

You don't need a coil spring compressor for stock S2000 springs. And if you do want to use one...use a real spring compressor. The ones in the picture are more dangerous than helpful.

Traditional performance shocks don't lower your car. Koni yellows, for example, have the OPTION to place the spring on a lower perch. Or you can leave it at stock height.

You can find a set of used, assembled shocks/springs, complete with top hats if you want this to be as easy as possible.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:19 AM

Thank you all for the responses.

I wound up purchasing a used set from PdxPartsCo here on S2KI and have been slowly getting them installed. The actual installation is pretty easy when they come all assembled. The only real issue I'm having is getting my front passenger upper control arm free (so that I can swap the shock). The rear bolt that ties it to the frame appears to have rusted/seized inside the bushing and refuses to break.

I've soaked in liquid wrench, used breaker bars and an impact wrench to no avail. When that failed I retightened everything to torque spec and have been driving on it with no problems (aside from the weird, unbalanced sensation of having one sloppy shock) because the S is my DD. I'm hoping to get the time for another crack at it tomorrow and that maybe the remnants of the liquid wrench and the vibration of driving will have worked out the seizure, but I suspect that I am grasping at straws with that.

Is there anything I'm missing before having to move to destructive methods and replacing the control arm? I'm assuming that if I replace the passenger control arm I should do the driver side as well...

Any help at all would be very welcome, starting to get into the deep end here :/
Old 09-08-2015, 05:05 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,406 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Can't you just seperate the upper ball joint instead?

Don't use a pickle fork. Use a ball joint puller.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:49 AM

That is a pretty good idea. Unfortunately I don't have a ball joint puller. I soaked it in PB Blaster all morning and got at it with the breaker bar again and it is moving. Slowly and reluctantly, but it is turning and staying turned. I have a feeling it is destroying the bushing though

I've been reading here about bushing replacement: https://robrobinette.com/S2000Bushings.htm

It's starting to feel like I'm working on a boat, not a car. You know - Break Out Another Thousand...

Edit: The bolt hasn't broken. It must have rusted to the steel? sleeve which I believe is inside the bushing. Loosening the bolt spread the mounting bracket instead of backing it out. I tightened it back up and pulled the bracket back into shape.

The only solution I can possibly think of at this point is to try and fit a C clamp around the bracket before loosening and seeing if that will break the bushing sleeve free. I'll have to buy a new clamp, the ones I have are too large...