S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Replacement Brake Pads

Old 04-25-2012, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Brake Pads

My '02 with 85k on it needs new brake pads and rotors. This is the firs time I've had to change them, so I'm wondering what is the recommended aftermarket set to get. It doesn't go to the track, I'm not a hard braker but I want something comparable to OEM. I was looking at EBC Redstuff but I'm wondering about how quickly they would wear?
Thanks
Old 04-25-2012, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly unless you are driving hard I would most likely just use the oem pads. Most aftermarket pads are for upgraded performance. Which will likely give you more dust and noise. Others may say otherwise, but the only time I ran EBC pads they dusted horrible and were very loud. They were red stuff pads on a Celica. You can get rid of almost all noise with upgraded pads by bedding them in very well, but with most aftermarket pads this will likely take alot of heat. When I bought my S someone had put some duralast gold pads on there. I have to admit that while they weren't a performance upgrade by any means, they had very little dust and no noise. should be alot cheaper than OEM and will work just as well for non spirited driving.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:34 AM

Thanks. I was actually going to add that in my original post about the Duralast pads. I've used those when replacing my 01 Tahoe pads and never had a problem. I guess I'll go that route as well.

Originally Posted by cadams05nfr
Honestly unless you are driving hard I would most likely just use the oem pads. Most aftermarket pads are for upgraded performance. Which will likely give you more dust and noise. Others may say otherwise, but the only time I ran EBC pads they dusted horrible and were very loud. They were red stuff pads on a Celica. You can get rid of almost all noise with upgraded pads by bedding them in very well, but with most aftermarket pads this will likely take alot of heat. When I bought my S someone had put some duralast gold pads on there. I have to admit that while they weren't a performance upgrade by any means, they had very little dust and no noise. should be alot cheaper than OEM and will work just as well for non spirited driving.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:30 PM

EBC .............PAGID RS 29 Brake Pads the best , i`m Driving this on my ASM AP Racing Brake .
Old 05-12-2012, 01:52 PM

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,545 Posts

I'm liking my Carbotech 1521 pads, nice street pad from what I've experienced with them.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You have got to consider what you're going to be using your car for. For one or two stops, the OEM pads are quite good and can lock up the front tires without too much drama. The main benefit you're going to get from aftermarket pads is consistent, stop after stop performance when the brakes are holding a lot of heat.

It's HARD to do this safely and legally on public roads. Maxing out acceleration on this car is a pretty benign experience, but overwhelming the OEM pads on public roads is probably not something you're going to do with any real frequency.

There is no real "harm" is going with a high performance pad... so long as you can put up with increased dust, increased noise (maybe), all while paying more money. About the only benefit you'll see on the street is increased "bite" with little overall performance benefit due to the fact your brakes probably aren't getting very hot enough to take advantage of the high end pads.

You'll probably get more benefit by bleeding your brake lines and filling with ATE blue.