S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Rear clunking with coilovers

Old 12-30-2010, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm experiencing the same noise, but it was after I had installed the rear set from an 08 on a AP1 . Does anyone know if the stock rear set is adjustable?
Old 12-30-2010, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock coil overs are not adjustable.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by TCLAP2,Dec 30 2010, 03:18 PM
I have the very same clunking noise in the passenger rear. (Tien Flex). But for mine, the clunking noise would stop if my top is down? or I have a heavy load in the trunk?

Going to try what you did over the weeknd and raise them up and see if that works.
Raised my height today about 1/2 inch, reset preload to 0 and sound is gone! Loving it!!
I guess it is something about the rears being too low, that would make a clunking noise.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:45 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut,Dec 23 2010, 10:08 PM
I have the passenger rear clunk/clang also. It really only happens when making a turn and going over some type of elevation change such as drive way entries. This is with KW Clubsports. I don't know if it was there when new and I just didn't notice it. Regardless, it's pretty much only when turning into and out of driveways which have steep entry angles.

It's only the passenger side rear. If I go slow enough, it doesn't happen. I've check every nut and bolt and I torqued them properly when I installed them. My only other theory was the exhaust hitting something.

Hmm... maybe I should mount my Contour camera down there to try to video it. Well, that's a project for next year after I get back from vacation!

My ride height is about 13" from the axle centerline to the fender.
I have noticed some faint sounds with my KW V3s. Only seems to happen when the chassis will twist from pulling into driveways, etc. I'm pretty sure it's from the spring perch design. The spring compressed, is extremely tight against the spring seats, and they seem to bind up. I've heard the same sounds while adjusting the ride height(by twisting the lower collar).
Old 01-25-2011, 02:21 PM

YUP..had the exact same problem..but i can see why they had offered the idea about not enough preload

mine was the passenger rear...i checked the shock that was making the clunking noise and discovered the spring didnt have enough preload..it had play and you could move the spring up and down a little bit..so i applied more preload to it..making it sit nice and tight so it did not wiggle..and then i also raised the height a little bit..now the Clunking is gone..
Old 02-15-2011, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by TCLAP2,Dec 30 2010, 03:18 PM
I have the very same clunking noise in the passenger rear. (Tien Flex). But for mine, the clunking noise would stop if my top is down? or I have a heavy load in the trunk?

Going to try what you did over the weeknd and raise them up and see if that works.
Same prble with my tein coilovers. Top down = no noise.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:26 PM

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

I raised the car 1/4", the sound is gone.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:14 AM

Had the same problem with the rear right BC coilover clunking. I removed it stripped it all down couldn't see anything wrong with it, also could find no play or uneven travel with the damper. I'd already tried different pre loads/height settings and the noise was still there so I bit the bullet and ordered a replacement damper (roughly $120) and sent back my original damper for BC to inspect. The new damper totally cured the clunking and the car now rides silently over dips/ruts and pot holes. The other good news was despite BC not being able to find anything wrong with the damper I sent them they agreed it must be at fault so they refunded my the cost of the replacement damper as they original damper was still under warranty. Great service
Old 03-28-2011, 03:56 PM

Have this same problem with my Tein SRC in the rear passenger. Don't know what it is. Thinking I might try to raise it a bit and see what happens.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:36 AM

it very well may be the damper topping out. try increasing rebound damping and reducing preload.

Quick Reply: Rear clunking with coilovers