S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Rear clunking with coilovers

Old 12-16-2010, 11:28 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Moddiction,Dec 16 2010, 09:26 AM
Not to thread jack but I get the same thing with my rear driver side. Have Koni yellow shocks though.
That's very interesting...

Before my BC coilovers, I had Koni yellows with Tein Stech springs. I swear I had the same clunking with that setup.

I just got done from working on the car a bit to track this mysterious clunk down, no luck. Had the rear jacked up, and wheels off. Completely stripped the trunk, checked every single bolt for tightness. Also checked every bolt on the suspension and subframe. I also discovered that the rear BC coilovers do not have pillowball top hats. Only the fronts have pillowballs. So, that rules out the rear noise from pillowballs. I'm completely lost.

Some of you mentioned the Koni yellows or just springs on stock shocks, and experiencing some clunking. I'm really wondering if it's just due to lowering the car. But again, not sure how that would affect anything to make a clunking sound.

I did notice some side to side play in the axles. Nothing serious, and I know I've seen this before, so I don't think that could be the culprit. Although, when I shook them side to side, it did make a somewhat clunking sound. Don't think it was loud enough to make what I'm hearing. I did this with the car jacked, so the suspension was in full droop. Almost wondering what type of sounds would occur with doing the same thing, but with the car on the ground.

My search will continue....
Old 12-16-2010, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did search thru whole s2ki.com. I see many threads that people posted same issue, but couldn't find solid answer. When i looked thru other car forums and etc, i do see many people has very similar issue like this. Some said that they fixed with just spray lubri around the area, retq top nut, replaced shock or replaced just tophat and cleaned them very good.

If you do find something please update for us. I did much as i can, expect replacing a shock. But last week, when i removed my rear suspension area, my shock seems fine.

Well, good luck. This gives me pretty good headche and now i'm pretty much give it up.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:17 PM

If I figure something out, I will definitely post back here. The only things I could think of, are replacing the shocks or tophats. Definitely don't want to do that just yet.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:25 PM

I also soaked all of the suspension and diff mounts with a silicone spray. I doubt it'll do anything though. Haven't had a chance to drive it today due to snow.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes perfect sense. Cold weather will effect the fitment of parts. Sounds like your bearing is shrinking more than the bearing race it is pressed in. So when it is cold it will rattle more.

When I'm installing interference fit parts I freeze them to shrink them or heat them to grow them. Depending on the size of the part you can get them to shrink or expand 0.001" to 0.005".

It's not a solution but it sounds like a fun experiment to see if you can make your noise go away reliably with heat!
Old 12-17-2010, 04:29 AM

Well, I just heard back from BC North America.... The guy I talked to said a lot of clunking with these coilovers can be from spring preload. They recommend at least a 5mm spring preload.

I'm gonna give that a shot and see what happens.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:11 AM

So they told you to do the action that causes clunking??
Old 12-17-2010, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by robinson,Dec 17 2010, 10:11 AM
So they told you to do the action that causes clunking??
How would more preload cause clunking? I mean, I understand it would make for a stiffer ride and possibly make the whole car rattle more.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:36 AM

So after driving around today, I realized most of the clunking is still back there.

Last night I soaked the whole suspension with a good silicone spray, put a tad bit of preload on the springs; so none of that fixed it. It's really hard to tell if what I'm hearing is actually something loose/broken, or if I'm just hearing the banging against the suspension, traveling through the chassis and into the trunk/car. I have RE11s on the car, and they have gotten very hard in this cold weather. Reason why I'm thinking I've been hearing more noises lately.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by FISH22,Dec 17 2010, 07:29 AM
Well, I just heard back from BC North America.... The guy I talked to said a lot of clunking with these coilovers can be from spring preload. They recommend at least a 5mm spring preload.
This is what I'm talking about. He said, according to your post, that clunking can be from spring preload. So my assumption was that he mean clunking is from any preload, and then he reccomends preload. His advice just does not make any sense.

Quick Reply: Rear clunking with coilovers