S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

rear camber is -1.9 after alignment

Old 03-28-2011, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear camber is -1.9 after alignment

I got an alignment yesterday after getting new rear tires, they were unable to get my rear camber into spec so my inside camber is at -1.9 and it means it is going to wear faster on the inside than the rest of the tires. They said that I need to get a camber kit to get my rear camber aligned correctly. What exactly is a camber kit? (i understand camber and toe) I asked them for info about it but they did not seem to know much.... If somebody could explain to me how the camber kit works and why they were not able to get them into spec i would appreciate it very much. Thank you for reading.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you saying you want less than -1.9? Like -1.5? There are two choices for camber kits, SPC (changes the upper ball joint geometry) and J's(changes lower ball joint geometry). As to why you can't get back to spec, it depends on how low you lower the car. If you are at stock height, then there may be an issue.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:33 AM

Thank you for clarifying robinson. Yes I am at stock height. I am going to call firestone and ask if they remember which one it was. thanks
Old 03-28-2011, 10:24 AM

The specified range for rear camber is -1.67 to -1.33 you arent that much off.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:12 AM

i think going to firestone for an alignment is issue #1. can you post what your alignment specs were for all four corners?

Old 03-28-2011, 12:11 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

At stock height, you obviously shouldn't need an special kit to reach stock alignment, unless either something is bent, or your alignment shop don't know what they are doing. You'll need to sort that out before trying a band-aid solution. I'd take it to a dedicated alignment shop or the dealer if you have to. You can't just take it to the gas station or tire shop down the street because they flat-out will NOT align it properly (been there, done that).

As for camber in general, I'm running -2.0 both front and rear. It just depends on how you drive and what your needs are.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:19 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

One of the reasons why I only deal with specific race shops for my alignments.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well, usually i means two things:

your hardware is out of adjustment range: usually happens if you lower the car a lot but it's not the case if you are stock height.

the second most common reason being a striped camber eccentric bolt.

and of course there's a "human factor" in the mix if you know what i mean, you don't need a camber correction kit since your stock setup have more than enough adjustment for stock height.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:33 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Honestly, -1.9deg is not a big deal and won't result in significant asymmetric wear if you run minimal toe (~.2-.3 degrees total).
Old 03-29-2011, 10:29 AM

Here it is guys, one of the mechanics at firestone that did not work on my car said something was probably bent. It had been over a year before my last alignment because I have never hit a curb in this car and it always drove straight with hands off the steering wheel. Now the car pulls to the left and actually jerks left if you turn the wheel slightly to the right and let go.

Quick Reply: rear camber is -1.9 after alignment