S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

pwjdm rotors

Old 02-12-2011, 05:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default pwjdm rotors

Hey guys i'm not trying to bash pwjdm, but there drilled and slotted rotors are very low quality. I replaced my spoons with these trying to save a few bucks and immediately noticed vibration when stopping. I pulled the rotors and put them on the lathe and all four were considerably out of round. After turning them obviously my vibration was gone. I am a tech and we usually always have to turn new rotors that are low chinese quality and these seem to be no different. Don't buy these expecting great quality. If you do consider having a shop spin them before install.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't say that I'm surprised...
Old 02-14-2011, 08:29 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

those part have nothing to do with Japan/JDM, right?
Old 02-14-2011, 08:45 PM

nope
Old 02-15-2011, 02:43 PM

How low quality? Off the shelf rotors don't have to be turned, that hasn't been done in years. I mean itd have to be REALLY crap quality. Do they come surfaced with a lathe or cross hatched? Or are the surfaces just ground flat and they seriously do have to be machined flat out of the box??

How much do these cheapo rotors cost?
Old 02-16-2011, 03:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At least 30% of the rotors we see are at least mildly out of round out of the box. Brands like brake best, global, bendix, and most of the other low cost replacement rotors are all low quality chinese products. All of these are marked no turning required but as I stated there are lots of issues with these. The pjdm seem to be no different, castings are low quality, finish is poor and uneven, surface is not true, and the price is reflective of this. For customers who don't mind the cost we usually try to use brembo oem replacements or the oem originals, we basically never have an issue with these. My shop does on average about 5 brake jobs a day so we use a lot of rotors. We have basically gone to preturning all of the low cost replacements just to eliminate an issues with them. The surface of the pjdm was crosshatched when I received them. Most cheap brand rotors cost us anywhere from 20 to 60 dollars a piece, depending on the car obviously. No one really like's using the cheaper parts but in todays market the number of customers who want top quality parts is very small, most are only concerned with price.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:56 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

have you had expirience with Centric Premiums?
Old 02-17-2011, 11:18 PM

WHen you say out of round, I mean they are within spec right? .003 is the tolerance with a dial I THINK, not positive off the top of my head. I mean are they 'warped', so a slight degree that they might promote premature warping (excess of pad deposits) for cars not bedded in properly?

Centric are good, but same as my arguement earlier, they are overpriced and over advertized for what they are. For track racing or towing, perhaps, but for most drivers, even the cheapo rotors are fine, and I don't mean like Autozone's Duralast blanks (those are actaully pretty good), but I mean like the really cheap ones, like that would be missing centering screws and/or threaded removal holes.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:54 PM

but but there jdm y0!

maybe your american way of braking is wrong warped rotors have less surface area because you shouldnt be using them to slow down only trail brake for time attack y0!
Old 02-24-2011, 06:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

idk... I bought a full set and I put them on without turning them and no problems at all. Just cleaned the surface and installed them with new pads and perfect install and no vibrations. Maybe u just got a bad set? idk... Im not promoting them, just saying my good experience.

Quick Reply: pwjdm rotors