S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb
View Poll Results: Where do you measure from to get equal standing height?
Distance between Fender and Tire Rubber (Finger Gap)
42.86%
Distance between Fender and Center Wheel (Wheel Gap)
57.14%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Proper Wheel Gap

Old 07-26-2011, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper Wheel Gap

It seems as though when measuring wheel gap, I get an equal 13" all around after my drop. Although, the finger gap is different (1.5 fingers up front/1 finger in the back) What should I be setting the ride height to?

1. Equal finger gap
2. Equal wheel gap
Old 07-26-2011, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Kaneda215
It seems as though when measuring wheel gap, I get an equal 13" all around after my drop. Although, the finger gap is different (1.5 fingers up front/1 finger in the back) What should I be setting the ride height to?

1. Equal finger gap
2. Equal wheel gap
Finger gaps are dependent on:
- size of fingers
- camber settings
- rolled or non roller fender lips
- front or rear fender lips
- tread wear
- etc, etc.

So, finger gaps are an inconsistent unit of measure. It's impractical to compare "finger gaps" from one car/owner to another.

Wheel center - to - fender lip distances ("wheel gaps" as you refer to them) are:
- measured with a tape measure
- are mostly independent of camber settings
- are independent of rolled or non rolled fender lips (unless fenders are pulled/flared)

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by nmrado
Originally Posted by Kaneda215' timestamp='1311721937' post='20818310

1. Equal finger gap
2. Equal wheel gap
Finger gaps are dependent on:
- size of fingers
- camber settings
- rolled or non roller fender lips
- front or rear fender lips
- tread wear
- etc, etc.

So, finger gaps are an inconsistent unit of measure. It's impractical to compare "finger gaps" from one car/owner to another.

Wheel center - to - fender lip distances ("wheel gaps" as you refer to them) are:
- measured with a tape measure
- are mostly independent of camber settings
- are independent of rolled or non rolled fender lips (unless fenders are pulled/flared)

Just my 2 cents.
Ok great, with that being said... I should aim for equal wheel center-to-fender distance all around? Also, with the rears being cambered in more, it would visually appear that there's more of a gap in the front, correct?
Old 07-26-2011, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Kaneda215
Ok great, with that being said... I should aim for equal wheel center-to-fender distance all around? Also, with the rears being cambered in more, it would visually appear that there's more of a gap in the front, correct?
Even all the way around is a fair starting point. I've been running my rear about 1/8" lower than the front, as it seems to have helped with rear stability (don't quote me on this, as it's just an observation from auto-xing).

Depending on lighting effects, less negative camber in the front could make it look like more of a gap...just a guess. If you're going for aesthetics, adjust the ride heights until you are pleased and use the measurements to even them out side-to-side.