S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Project Mu club racer pads

Old 03-08-2014, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project Mu club racer pads

Can I run the Club Racer pads up front and OEM pads in the rear. I'm running the car at Sebring on the 29th and need to know so I can order them.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I did that before...depends a lot on you as the driver.

Being that I am pretty green in terms of skill, I do the bulk of my braking, if not all, in a straight line before coming up to the corner, so the the more aggressive pads up front were suitable for me.

I did notice that brand OEM rears would be halve gone by the end of a track day though.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can do it in a pinch but its not what I would consider "ideal". As Zeqs mentioned, the biggest problem with the stock pads is that they will overheat and basically vaporize in as little as a few sessions on track.

If you absolutely have to use a cheap street pad as a rear compound I would use stoptech street performance. I have (fairly) successfully run those as a rear compound with XP10 up front when I ran out of my rear XP10s.

We have many options in stock and ready to ship and of course we have additional discounts for our friends here on s2ki If I can be of further assistance let me know!

-Matt M.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys.

Matt- can you PM me a price on Club Racers please both front and rear shipped to 34609?
Old 03-14-2014, 12:37 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

It really depends on the whole setup for your car. I can tell you for a fact if you are running a close to OEM setup with staggered 225/255, you do not want to run crappy pads in the rear. You will throw the balance completely off and you will overwork your fronts.

Stoptech street performance pads are just about the worst brand name pads I have ever used, maybe worse than OEM.

I have gone through tons of brake pad setups and I can tell you for a fact that my fronts were way hotter than my rears which tells me the rears were barely doings it's job.

Staggered pad setups
Xp10/xp8
Xp12/10
Xp12/rp2
Club racer front/xp10
Club racer front/xp12

It was so easy for me to engage abs, glaze pads and crack rotors when running a staggered compound setup.

After switching to square pad compound setup, I got longer pad life, longer rotor life before cracking, more effective braking and a more settled car.
Staggered setups:
Xp12/xp12
Xp10/xp10
Club racer/club racer

If and when I switch to a larger front tire or a square setup, then I will bias the front with more braking force since the wider front tires would be able to handle more braking force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2014, 04:31 AM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

It's not that the rears were barely doing their job, it's that they don't have as much of a job to do as the fronts, as it is with many cars. I think it is incorrect to think that a front biased pad setup is necessary in terms of braking force and bite. It is more about fade resistance and heat management than anything and what reason is there really to run a slightly less aggressive pad in the rear other than cost? The size and surface area of the pad and rotor is what really effects braking force, and most importantly the proportioning valve. Using pad compounds to try to change the brake bias is a poor solution in my opinion, it isn't increasing the efficiency of the fronts, it is just decreasing the efficiency of the rears, and possibly of the system as a whole.

If Honda were to sell an S2000 with 255 tires in the front, they wouldn't just fit a front pad with more bite, they would fit larger rotors, calipers, and pad with larger surface as appropriate to properly deal with the extra heat generated.

As to the OPs question. Just run the Club Racers front and rear and be done with it. Weather you run staggered tires or a square setup. On track the Club Racer rears will last dramatically longer than OEM rear pads, and by running non track pads in the rear, you are actually just going to end up putting more heat into the fronts once the rears overheat, become ineffective and cause even more of the braking work to be done by the fronts. You may also end up with inconsistent pedal feel with OEM rear pads once the temps increase, and will likely end up having to replace them often and pay more in the end anyway.