S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

PowerFlex Bushings Limited Time Discount!

Old 04-21-2012, 05:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone have any tips on how to remove the rear lower arm bushing (the one closer to the front)? It looks like the stock one is pressed in from both sides. I think I may have to hack saw or get a hole saw to cut away the lip so it can be pressed out from one side.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:43 AM

I just want to share my experiences with installing these bushings.

Doing this install is absolutely no easy task. I bought myself a 12ton press ($99) and I have a pneumatic impact wrench which made life a lot easier. Considering I didn't run into any major hiccups, I'm about 10-12 hours into the install and I still have 6 more bushings to go. So far, I've finished the rear arms and the front compliance bushing. I still need to do the front upper arms and the front lower arm bushings.

After reading the DIY on changing the compliance bushing, I was pretty certain that I would have to cut the old bushing out. However, I was lucky enough to have the cam bolt come loose pretty easily. That was a very welcome surprise considering I live in Canada. Its probably due to the fact that my S2000 is a summer car.

The hardest part about the install is getting the old bushings out. If you plan on taking the arms to a shop, it'll save yourself a lot of headache. If you want to press out the bushings yourself, make sure you have the correct tooling on your press to do so. Also, You'll need to do some tricky cutting on the old bushings to get enough meat for the press to push against. As I mentioned in the previous post, the forward rear lower arm bushing is quite tricky. it's two flanged bushings pushed in from both sides. To get it out, you have to cut away the entire lip so it can be pushed through from one side.

I would be further along now but the bottle jack in my press broke. Hopefully it'll all be back together with another 4 hours of work.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:47 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ronac
I just want to share my experiences with installing these bushings.

Doing this install is absolutely no easy task. I bought myself a 12ton press ($99) and I have a pneumatic impact wrench which made life a lot easier. Considering I didn't run into any major hiccups, I'm about 10-12 hours into the install and I still have 6 more bushings to go. So far, I've finished the rear arms and the front compliance bushing. I still need to do the front upper arms and the front lower arm bushings.

After reading the DIY on changing the compliance bushing, I was pretty certain that I would have to cut the old bushing out. However, I was lucky enough to have the cam bolt come loose pretty easily. That was a very welcome surprise considering I live in Canada. Its probably due to the fact that my S2000 is a summer car.

The hardest part about the install is getting the old bushings out. If you plan on taking the arms to a shop, it'll save yourself a lot of headache. If you want to press out the bushings yourself, make sure you have the correct tooling on your press to do so. Also, You'll need to do some tricky cutting on the old bushings to get enough meat for the press to push against. As I mentioned in the previous post, the forward rear lower arm bushing is quite tricky. it's two flanged bushings pushed in from both sides. To get it out, you have to cut away the entire lip so it can be pushed through from one side.

I would be further along now but the bottle jack in my press broke. Hopefully it'll all be back together with another 4 hours of work.
Can you explain/take a picture of how you fit the rear upper A arms on the press? They didn't seem to fit on my HF 12ton press so I was planning on just buying a zaw-saw and cutting it out.

Thank you
Old 04-25-2012, 11:18 AM

Yah,that one was tricky too, it took me a little bit to figure it out since the arm is so small. Here's what I did:

- Cut away the flange on the outside of the arm to allow for a surface for the press to bush against
- put a 24mm socket or correctly sized die on the bushing from the inside
- get a 3/8" drive socket extension such that it passes through the other bushing
- press on the drive extension
- repeat the same procedure for the other side, use the other bushing to keep the extension centered
Old 04-25-2012, 03:30 PM

like this?
Old 04-25-2012, 09:41 PM

The 24mm is on the bottom end of the 3/8" drive extension pushing against the lower bushing. I didn't use a press plate on that side. I used the two plates the press came with to support the arm while still allowing the bushing to pass through.

Let me know if that makes sense..

Just the front upper bushings to go! And also my offset RCA ball joints.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:53 AM

so like this?

PowerFlex Bushings Limited Time Discount!-tln6al.jpg
Old 04-26-2012, 09:20 PM

Like this:

Old 04-27-2012, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by ronac
Like this:

haha thank you, sorry i'm retarded sometimes
Old 04-30-2012, 01:05 PM

No problem.

I finally got all the bushings in and front RCA ball joints installed as well. I had it aligned this morning.

My initial impressions are that it seems to ride nicer. My car is pretty modded so it doesn't seem to have added any noticeable vibration or noise. I can definitely feel a difference when driving over speed bumps.

Quick Reply: PowerFlex Bushings Limited Time Discount!