S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

painting calipers

Old 05-03-2010, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting calipers

I am planning on painting my calipers later this week. I will be getting some new rotors and pads and maybe bleed the brakes.

My questions is what is involved in removing the calipers? I have been searching and found a lot of videos of how to unbolt the calipers and how to paint them with the brake hose attached but what about without? If i take off the brake hose will fluid run all over the place? and when I put the calipers back on will there be air in the lines? I'm not really sure how to go about this.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:04 PM

If you take off the brake line off the caliper, yes you will have fluid all over the place and there will be air in the lines. you have to bleed them. try not taking off the brake lines off the caliper.

I heard G2 paint is really good for caliper painting.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't have to take off the calipers to paint them. Just tape them with painters tape really good. Taking the calipers off just to paint them isn't worth it.

G2 is prob the best paint you can get for the calipers too, btw. Mine still looks good after a few years.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:30 PM

when you remove the caliper, yeah fluid will come out. what you can do is either take a pair of vice grips to the brake hose, so the whole car won't drain while you paint the calipers. if you have any spare rubber, you can also use vice grips to hold rubber against the banjo fitting. this will hold the remaining fluid in there. the goal is to only have to bleed a little when they go back on the car. if you end up emptying the master cylinder, you're gonna have to do the whole car.

I'd reccomend removing em, cause you can get a much more professional look, as you remove the clips, clean em, and of course tape off the slide pins and piston seals, as you don't want too much paint to accumulate on the rubber seals, since its paint on rubber. No big deal if ya get a little. when you bolt it back on, if there is still fluid in the line, yes some may get on the back of the caliper. luckily no one sees this part, so get a paper towel and absorb it as it leaks off. dab, don't smear, as the paint you use will likely allow the brake fluid to act like a paint thinner. Remember, brake fluid is a paint thinner. This is why people pay so much for powderpainting.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok do NOT take a vice grips to your brake hose. Its not just a flimsy rubber hose. It has a metal core. You will crimp and collapse that core and really screw up that entire brake line.

Not to sound like a dick. But BreakExpert i just read a lot of your posts on another thread about blanks discs vs slotted/drilled. And after seeing you post up to "vise grip" your brake line. Im convinced you are nothing short of a novice person trying to get their PPD average up. Please do not spread this type of information onto this forum. This is not honda-tech.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:41 PM

Once you paint them be careful letting mean green degreaser set on the painted caliper like I have done. It tends to remove the paint .
Old 05-18-2010, 03:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anybody ever take of calipers and have them powdercoated?
Old 05-19-2010, 05:58 PM

^^I was wondering the same...I'm pretty sure it has been done. I just bought some duplicolor (labled brake caliper paint) from autozone and some brake cleaner then took off my tires and taped up what I did not want painted and then sprayed away....it actually came out pretty nice and then I applied some "s2000" high temp decals from ebay and with the decals it looks pretty sick. I have a silverstone with black/red interior and it really accents the seats with the top down!!
This is not my pic, but it looks just like this with ap2v1's...it took me about 1 hr to do all four and about 2 hrs to dry and then i was on the road....
Old 05-19-2010, 06:00 PM

Oops im not sure how to add pics....but just search "painted brake caliper pics"