S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

New to coilovers, which ones would you recommend? Also questions about koni yellows

Old 01-09-2012, 06:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New to coilovers, which ones would you recommend? Also questions about koni yellows

So I was thinking about getting coilovers and I have some questions about them.
I was looking at koni yellow shocks because of their price. If I got the shocks would I also need to buy springs? Also would they lower the car and would it be adjustable? And how do they affect handling?
And can anyone recommend some good coilovers, I am looking for some that are ride height adjustable, improve handling, and arent too expensive(if any coilover like that exist lol).
Old 01-10-2012, 02:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Danwolski
If I got the shocks would I also need to buy springs?
No

Also would they lower the car and would it be adjustable?
You can use the lower perch and lower the car by 1/2". No, that would not be adjustable, but, you can buy adjustable perches like Ground Controls to use with them with the Koni's.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And can anyone recommend some good coilovers, I am looking for some that are ride height adjustable, improve handling, and arent too expensive(if any coilover like that exist lol).
It's all in how you define "improve". Many coilovers will result in a stiffer ride that has less roll than other setups....but this doesn't garauntee the coilovers have actually increased grip. If, however, these same coilovers improve the driver's confidence in the chassis and allows him/her to driver closer to the limit at all times, then yeah...I'd say they have improved the performance of the car by allowing the driver to maximize the potential even though grip may have stayed the same or even decreased slightly.

Everyone has a different definition of "improve". For you to define it, you'll need to think about what you like and dislike about the current setup. The changes you make should retain the "like" features and improve upon the "dislike" features. If you dislike the stock ride height but like the comfort level of the stock suspension, for example, you'd want something with spring rates that were similar to stock that have the ability to lower the chassis. A TTMartin said, the Konis you're considering can lower the car about 1/2" to 3/4" using the OE springs. The threaded perches can be used with aftermarket coilover springs if you want to further alter the setup.

That said, my car had the most grip with spring rates similar to a CR, a stiff front anti-roll bar and 255/40/17 Hankook RS3s all the way around. The coilovers I was using at the time were the Bilstein PSS. But, it didn't do what I wanted for auto-x....so the spring rates had to increase substantially.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nmrado
Originally Posted by Danwolski' timestamp='1326165509' post='21301623
It's all in how you define "improve". Many coilovers will result in a stiffer ride that has less roll than other setups....but this doesn't garauntee the coilovers have actually increased grip. If, however, these same coilovers improve the driver's confidence in the chassis and allows him/her to driver closer to the limit at all times, then yeah...I'd say they have improved the performance of the car by allowing the driver to maximize the potential even though grip may have stayed the same or even decreased slightly.

Everyone has a different definition of "improve". For you to define it, you'll need to think about what you like and dislike about the current setup. The changes you make should retain the "like" features and improve upon the "dislike" features. If you dislike the stock ride height but like the comfort level of the stock suspension, for example, you'd want something with spring rates that were similar to stock that have the ability to lower the chassis. A TTMartin said, the Konis you're considering can lower the car about 1/2" to 3/4" using the OE springs. The threaded perches can be used with aftermarket coilover springs if you want to further alter the setup.

That said, my car had the most grip with spring rates similar to a CR, a stiff front anti-roll bar and 255/40/17 Hankook RS3s all the way around. The coilovers I was using at the time were the Bilstein PSS. But, it didn't do what I wanted for auto-x....so the spring rates had to increase substantially.
Wow thanks for the info its really helpfull. Do you know how the koni yellows would affect the cars handling?