S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

megan racing ez street coilover

Old 02-02-2011 | 02:28 AM

robinson- i do see your point now. but when you mentioned "poor force curves", these megan can't be that bad when it comes to driving them daily and/or spirited driving, correct? i mean, i'm not trying to do some hard core road racing like around the mountains or try to beat EVERYONE's time on the race track or anything like that.

if i were to run the tracks or drag strip or anything like that for that matter, i wouldn't even consider these megans or probably just bout all the other megans. and if were to go on the track, i would just go after the coilovers that have been used by the majority of race track drivers.

these megans are what i had in mind for simple dd and going in a straight line as fast as i can. if 05apdeuce said they performed better than stock, then i don't see why not?

i'll wait for a few more replies though to see what others have to say about these specific megans, since i do keep an open mind.
Old 02-02-2011 | 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Hirevs2k,Feb 2 2011, 05:28 AM
if 05apdeuce said they performed better than stock, then i don't see why not?
Here is the issue with this statement. And maybe you are joking ( ) but, just saying they perform better is a meaningless statememt. I would need to see a shock dyno of each shock before I would say they are better than stock. Modifiying cars is an objective venture, not a subjective mod fest.
Old 02-02-2011 | 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by robinson,Feb 1 2011, 09:58 PM
I'm usually the one who says you get what you pay for, and I absolutely believe it. The most cost effective option is to do nothing. But it sounds like you really don't want to do nothing, so then you are looking to go low, so if you have to do something, it's cheaper to get Koni Yellows, and the GC coil over kit, I think. Then you actually have a quality shock, and whatever spring you want.

The problem with Megan, is that they don't make the damper, they just put their name on it and sell it. Then there is the issue of the poor force curves. This is the worst part. You are paying for a shock and you usually end up with the worst valving, or at least, nothing better than what you had before. I just don't understand why anyone would pay over $1000 for something that just isn't that great. Megans might be okay, but when I spend money, I want my shocks to be better than before, and not be flawed.
Hate to burst your bubble, but the Megans are no where close to $1000
Old 02-02-2011 | 10:22 AM

Okay, at $700, it's still not worth it putting on questionable parts. In this case, you are not paying much, nor getting much.
Old 02-02-2011 | 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by 05APdeuce,Feb 2 2011, 12:30 PM
Hate to burst your bubble, but the Megans are no where close to $1000
My $1000 comment is more directed to the average price of these tuner coilovers.
Old 02-02-2011 | 10:47 AM

I too am pretty open minded, so that is why I am open to you to actually bringing something to the table reguarding an actual issue with the megan coilovers. In all of your posts you still have not given a legitimate reason that these coils are not good for a "daily driver"
You have proven your point that by no means are they good for the track or not proven to be better than the factory setup but can you please tell us why they are no good for daily use??
Old 02-02-2011 | 11:12 AM

Other than not to spend money, I doubt I'll be able to convince you. I spend $1200 on new CR springs/shocks once. I now regret that decision, and I hope that other people don't regret their decisions either. As long as you know what you are getting yourself into, and know that if you saved up more money you could get a better product, then go ahead.

The real issue is that these coilovers (most single and double adjustable mono-tube shocks) does not produce enough/any forces in the lower speed relm (3in/sec). Low speed shock movements have more to do with body roll due to driver inputs and control of the unsprung mass of the car. You probably will end up with a lot of high speed rebound adjustment, which does nothing for car control. It will feel stiffer, because it is, but this does not mean that stiffer high speed forces are what you want.

One more edit: Often the force graph will also be linear or even logarithmic as the speed increases. The best shocks have a digressive design so that the shock does not react with high forces over bumps. These coilovers have very little compression at any shock speed, which is more comfortable, but you give up grip, even on the street, and most have too much high speed rebound, which does nothing really.
Old 02-02-2011 | 02:40 PM

I have them and love them, i dont see how anyone can complain at all especially for the price.
Old 02-02-2011 | 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by robinson,Feb 2 2011, 06:34 AM
I would need to see a shock dyno of each shock before I would say they are better than stock.
i have no idea if this is considered a shock dyno or what? since you seem to have lots of knowledge in the suspension world, may you please translate this in english? i have no idea what this graph means at all, btw. lol this is off of their website on megan racing ez street coilover damper kitfor the s2k 00-09.

so just by looking at this graph, would this be good enough for dd usage and the occasional spirited runs? thanks

Name:  meganracingezstreet.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  90.4 KB
Old 02-02-2011 | 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by jlovat12,Feb 2 2011, 03:40 PM
I have them and love them, i dont see how anyone can complain at all especially for the price.
do they perform better or same as OEM? how many miles you think you have on the megans? is the height "ez" to adjust? thanks

Quick Reply: megan racing ez street coilover