S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Looking for Input - ST (Speedtech) Coilovers by KW

Old 09-19-2015, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Input - ST (Speedtech) Coilovers by KW

After picking up my my S2000, I realized I'm on mismatched springs. I have the stock dampers, but Tein S Tech springs on three corners and some cheap looking blue spring driver side front. That can't be good, right? So, the hunt for coilovers began. While reading numerous threads on KWs and wanting to try my own set, I received some price quotes which were just not in the budget, unfortunately.

That's when a friend told me about the ST coilovers by KW. I looked them up and the pricing is much better, and I'm hoping similar performance as the KW V1 which I was interested in (not too interested in all the adjustability of the V2 and V3 - I'd rather focus on my driving now than setup).

This will mainly by my DD, but with several autocrosses and a couple track days. I'll be on 255 square setup Star Specs when on track. I'm just looking for reliable coilovers that give me a controlled feel so I can learn to drive my car at the limit until im ready to upgrade a couple years down the road.

It appears the V1s are rated at 500lbs front and rear, whereas the STs are 460lbs front and rear. Link to product on Moddiciton: http://www.moddiction.com/suspension...i-2111902.aspx. It seems as though similar thought and design go into these coilovers as KW, but they use different materials to bring cost down. I live in the south, so rust isn't an issue.

Please let me know your thoughts, or if you think I should go the Koni/GC route, which I found a nice deal in the classifieds here, but are on 440/380lb springs: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/112...#entry23708622.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:20 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,378 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I have ST-X's on my gf's TSX wagon. They do ride nicely, but a little on the firm side on some occasions. A little less high speed damping and a little more low speed damping would be nice.

For an entry level, non-adjustable system, they are definitely very well built/engineered, and the quality shows through. The car handles well, and I think the coilovers would work on a track as well. But I prefer having an adjustable damper.

Why are you not interested in adjustable damping? It does so much to help set up a personal preference to the car for any type of driving.

PSS9's would be a great choice.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the firsthand input! Similar to what I've been hearing - actually well built considering their price.

With me just beginning to really track a car, I'd rather have set dampening so there's less variables to figure out - I can just focus on ride height/corner balancing and alignment. Then, once I've become comfortable going fast in the car, I can upgrade to adjustable dampening and really experience its full effects.