S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Koni yellows lower at the front than stock

Old 05-08-2024, 02:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni yellows lower at the front than stock

Hi, I changed my dampers on my 06 to koni yellows retaining my stock springs, problem I'm having is that the front now sits lower than before, the rears are fine. This is causing the 2 deflectors under the front to hit speed bumps, they're also catching if I go into a dip or pot hole.
I bought them used, they came made up with springs off an 02 i believe, i just swapped the springs off of my 06 over, retaining top mounts and rubber bushing that came with the Konis as they'd already been drilled out.
They're already on the top ring seat so what could be causing the extra drop?
Thanks

Last edited by S2KLee; 05-08-2024 at 03:02 AM.
Old 05-08-2024, 04:31 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Is front visually lower as well? If not, Koni have softer compression damping than stock. So they'll dip more over bumps, etc. If your issues are all at speed, this could be the issue.

If it is visually lower, this could just be that Koni were designed to spec of early cars, and Honda may have changed the design slightly in later years.

I had this experience when I put H&R lowering springs on my '06. These are designed to barely lower the car. .5" rear, .75" front. I wasn't really trying to lower car. It was the spring rates I was interested in.

The rearwas great, front was waaaay too low. I compared to photos of other cars online with same springs fit, and mine was way lower. All those cars were older than mine. Couldn't find pic with later years with those springs.

Concluded Honda changed something in design of shocks and springs (we know they changed spring rates every two years, including in '06). So I made my own spacers to raise the lower perch. A lift kit.

Worked perfectly. Side effect, restores shock travel ratio. How much travel available up or down at rest. So plis all around.

No reason you couldn't do same. Just add a spacer between lower perch and spring. Amazon. Silicone or rubber spring isolator.

Something like this:

spring isolator

Don't buy that.one, just an example. You need to find one with correct dimensions. And you just want lower.

Diameter must match our springs. Height, figure out how much higher you wabt it, then maths with the front Motio Ratio to figure out how tall at spring = how much higher at tire.

Front Motio Ratio = .589

That means if you wanted it 1" higher front, you'd use a .589" lower perch spacer/isolator.

Just take height to add x .589

Doesn't have to be perfect. Also, since playable material, its gonna compress a bit. So a little oversized better.

Lastly, be careful about stated specs that are for the entire height of isolator, not the height of just the portion the spring rests on.

Last edited by Car Analogy; 05-08-2024 at 04:37 AM.
Old 05-08-2024, 04:41 AM

Thanks for your reply, the front is physically lower than before, the rear has remained the same. Not noticed the front diving, I think the spring rates are slightly firmer on the front but softer of the rear on 06s compared to earlier years.
Spacers would have to be an option if there's nothing at fault, can't continue with the scraping sound. Thanks again.
Old 05-08-2024, 08:25 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

How much lower does the car sit?

And are you measuring on a flat surface? Your driveway or street is not flat, BTW.

A slab at a gas station might be flat.
Old 05-08-2024, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
How much lower does the car sit?
Hi, the front sits noticeably lower than the rear, raked like, the give away is that it didn't scrape with the standard shocks on. Only thing I can think of is like car analogy said above, that the front shocks are shorter or the rubber bush is compressed/worn compared to the originals, I didn't notice this when building them up.
Thanks for your help.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The konis have two spring perch positions. Did the previous owner install the front spring perches in the lower position?
Old 05-08-2024, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by THNY
The konis have two spring perch positions. Did the previous owner install the front spring perches in the lower position?
No, I'm pretty sure I checked that when I swapped the springs though I may take another look to make sure I've not got muddled up. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2024, 02:07 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Konis are twin tube with low gas pressure. OEM shocks are monotube with a lot more pressure. This pressure effectively adds to the spring rate and raising ride height.

The CR front shocks use particularly high gas pressure, enough to make its front sit noticably higher than the base model.

When I paired CR springs with Konis, the height became similar to base model height.
The following users liked this post:
S2KLee (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 03:27 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Oh, did you clock the bushings during install?

Wondering if issue is bushings clocked wrong. Forcing car to sit lower than it should. Usually people have opposite issue from not clocking, too high. But possible to be too low if clocked wrong in that direction.
Old 05-08-2024, 03:36 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Originally Posted by THNY
You stated they were on the highest perch in your original post

This would definitely be something to check
The following users liked this post:
S2KLee (05-08-2024)

Quick Reply: Koni yellows lower at the front than stock