S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Is this just my imagination>>>>

Old 05-24-2015, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this just my imagination>>>>

I recently changed my tires and rims on my AP1. I went to 17 inch wheels and tires. The tires are all season 17" Falken ZE 950's 215/45 Front 245/40 Rear At 70 the car feels less stable than it did, like it wants to drift. On curves, whether its a back road or interstate when I approach 65 it feels like it wants to drift, like its starting to float. I do not remember this being the case on the AS 16 Bridgestone Portenza's that came on the car. The tire and wheel dealer said no problem moving to 17". Several friends and forum members reiterated that. Was there some suspension dynamic that I needed to address or am I chasing poltergeist? Thanks much Stan
Old 05-24-2015, 02:04 PM

Received 3,767 Likes on 2,658 Posts

What tires did you have on the 16 inch rims - Potenza what ? Going from 16 to 17 inch rims shouldn't affect anything but going from a high performance tire to a mediocre tire can definitely feel worse.

I used to think that decent all-seasons were ok for daily driving, despite many people saying that you should really run high performance tires with treadwear 200 or less. I just took a trip to the Dragon with a mid-level performance tire on the front rims and my car felt terrible - not a drifting condition but pushing really bad in corners, really bad understeer and floaty as the front had no traction. This week I slapped on a set of Bridgeston RE-11a's and it is a night and day difference, my car now is willing to rotate through the corner like it was meant to be. I wish I had these tires last month at the Dragon. I think the issue with your car could be tire related.

On a side note I would double check your toe alignment settings for good measure, and ouble check your tire pressures too. Wheel size should not be an issue.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:30 PM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

When you put new tires on a car, there is a layer of oil on the tire, for the first 500 miles or so, tire manufacturers advise not to go 70mph for this very reason. After about two full tanks of gas the tires will grip a bit more as the top layer is worn off.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:38 PM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
What tires did you have on the 16 inch rims - Potenza what ? Going from 16 to 17 inch rims shouldn't affect anything but going from a high performance tire to a mediocre tire can definitely feel worse.

I always thought decent all-seasons were fine on our car for daily driving, despite many people saying that you should really run high performance tires with treadwear 200 or less. I just took a trip to the Dragon with a mid-level performance tire on the front rims and my car felt terrible - not a drifting condition but pushing really bad in corners, really bad understeer and floaty as the front had no traction. This week I slapped on a set of Bridgeston RE-11a's and it is a night and day difference, my car now wants to rotate through the corner like it was meant to be. I wish I had these tires last month at the Dragon. I think the issue with your car could be tire related.

I would double check your toe alignment settings for good measure, but I think your tires are the weak point. Double check your tire pressures too. Wheel size should not be an issue.
This car was really designed to use max performance summer tires, extreme performance tires are great but they're definitely not a tire that you want to daily drive on.

Max performance summer tires =
Continental conti-sport 3
Bridgestone S-04 pole position(oem tire)
Hankook V12 Ventus
Sumitomo HTR 3
Michellin Pilot sport
Pirelli P-zero

All tires with a 250 - 320 tread wear rating

Extreme performance tires =
Hankook RS3
Federal RSR
Bridgestone RE-07 RE-11
Goodyear G-force Rivals
Dunlop ZZ2 Speedstars
Advan Neova AV-08

All tires with around a 200 tread wear rating

Anything harder than Max summer and you basically just killed the handling of the car.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

17 are better than 16. Did you have the rim/tire package checked for balance? Does the car drive straight? Wobble? Weird noise? If rims/tires are round and balanced and alignment is good, it's the tire difference. Play with air pressure to see what feels optimal and keep driving/scrubbing them.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, Thanks very much for your input. Wheels were balanced when I upgraded. I will check he tread ware rating The Bridgestone Portenza G009 with a tread ware of 480 and they were getting near the end of their life. The Falkens are rated at 500. A very hard tire. More than likely I am looking at a tire issue. Stan
Old 05-26-2015, 10:46 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

That is a tire issue- those are horrible tires. Those tires are more suited to heavy, front wheel drive family sedans.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by StanW
I recently changed my tires and rims on my AP1. I went to 17 inch wheels and tires. The tires are all season 17" Falken ZE 950's 215/45 Front 245/40 Rear At 70 the car feels less stable than it did, like it wants to drift. On curves, whether its a back road or interstate when I approach 65 it feels like it wants to drift, like its starting to float. I do not remember this being the case on the AS 16 Bridgestone Portenza's that came on the car. The tire and wheel dealer said no problem moving to 17". Several friends and forum members reiterated that. Was there some suspension dynamic that I needed to address or am I chasing poltergeist? Thanks much Stan
It is not your imagination. The S2000 demands tires with stiff sidewalls. When tires with soft or single-ply sidewalls are used the car will feel squirmy/floaty when at speed and the handling suffers greatly. This can be a dangerous situation so please be careful until you can equip the car with proper handling tires. You can try increasing the tire pressure to offset the soft sidewalls but do not exceed safe limits. This will not resolve the issue but may help a little.