S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

I need new pads and maybe rotors

Old 09-02-2011, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need new pads and maybe rotors

Yesterday I noticed that chirping noise coming from the indicator of my left rear break pad. looks like it has about 30% life left but I don't want to listen to that thing anymore. Anyway I am kind of clueless when it comes to breaks. A year and a half ago I replaced my front solid rotors with vented rotors and the pads with performance street pads. These pads http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...+Pads&cat=Pads

and these rotors http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...1&autoModClar=

should I get the same for the rear and are the rotors needed? I just remember the rotors on the front were a pain in the ass to get off. They came off quick because my friend was a mechanic but he had to drill out the locking screw on the stock rotors, heat the rotors with a torch, then used this special tool to knock it off. It was on there for 10 years and fussed on there pretty good.

I just need suggestions on what to get. I drive the car hard on the street and maybe autox on occasion. If I ever track the car ill put track pads in for the day.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:33 PM

Your rotor choice is fine. I haven't heard much about those pads, but if you liked them then stick with them. Another alternative would be the Hawk HPS.

A side note: You might want to consider checking your brake lines and your brake fluid if you haven't in a while.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by prowess
Your rotor choice is fine. I haven't heard much about those pads, but if you liked them then stick with them. Another alternative would be the Hawk HPS.

A side note: You might want to consider checking your brake lines and your brake fluid if you haven't in a while.
Fluid is fine. I have bleed them recently. Lines appear to be fine for being stock. The brakes work really really well, there just isn't much left of the rear pads.

I did bring it in to get a brake inspection just to verify it. They just told me what I had assumed. Rears are almost gone. They said the rotors were fine though. I didn't realize that the stock rear rotors weren't vented though but it appears that the aftermarket rears are solid as well. I am thinking I might just keep the rear rotors and just replace the pads since the rotors are still in spec.

Would it be ok if I just replace the pads? Id save about $100 by not getting the rotors. But more importantly I don't want to take off those stock ones because I know they will be a bitch.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by erikvanden
Originally Posted by prowess' timestamp='1314995623' post='20939467

Fluid is fine. I have bleed them recently. Lines appear to be fine for being stock. The brakes work really really well, there just isn't much left of the rear pads.

I did bring it in to get a brake inspection just to verify it. They just told me what I had assumed. Rears are almost gone. They said the rotors were fine though. I didn't realize that the stock rear rotors weren't vented though but it appears that the aftermarket rears are solid as well. I am thinking I might just keep the rear rotors and just replace the pads since the rotors are still in spec.

Would it be ok if I just replace the pads? Id save about $100 by not getting the rotors. But more importantly I don't want to take off those stock ones because I know they will be a bitch.
Cool, just making sure on le fluidz. I'd have my rotors machined if I was using a different pad. Otherwise there isn't anything saying you can't change pads while keeping your current rotor.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:41 AM

Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by prowess
Hawk HPS = worst pads I've ever experienced, by a long shot. Soft pedal and poor response on the street, unusable after ~1/2 a lap at the track.

Get OEM pads, they're better than 90% of aftermarket street pads.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:37 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
Hawk HPS = worst pads I've ever experienced, by a long shot. Soft pedal and poor response on the street, unusable after ~1/2 a lap at the track.

I tried hawk HPS on my rsx-s (takes the same front/rear pads as the s2k) and they were noticeably worse on the street too
Old 09-03-2011, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by ZDan

Ah, sorry. I've never tried HPS, only HP+. You are right though, OEM parts of the s2000 are very good
Old 09-03-2011, 02:50 PM

I would go for a rear resurface if they are still in spec.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought I went over this in another thread...it's brakes not breaks...