S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

How to diagnose potential bent suspension arm?

Old 08-02-2011, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to diagnose potential bent suspension arm?

My rear driver's side won't dial out hella camber without making the toe some crazy unthinkable spec. I asked a few friends to help me try to figure out what it is but they basically end up saying something along the line of "start replacing things and eventually you'll fix it". I've never wrecked the car, so I don't get why...gr. Could it my lower control arm? I have no idea what it is and I have no idea what to even do. Do they make magical machines that can tell me?
Old 08-03-2011, 07:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check it on more than one alignment machine some places machines are very out of whack.
Also make sure they have someone that knows what they are doing with the alignment.
I mean its normal for toe to change with camber but then you should be able to dial the toe back to where you want it.

If there is something bent the main suspects would be the upper or lower control arm or the toe-arm thing or any of the bushings.
Upper control arm looks more bendable than the lower and its not too hard to change so you might want to start there

If you can find one cheap corner you might try doing the whole thing (knuckle, control arms, driveshaft etc) and putting it on rather than changing them all out one by one and messing with ball joints it might be easier.

Me and my buddy whos a mechanic changed the left rear corner at the track in less than an hour like that.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by dan_uk
I would check it on more than one alignment machine some places machines are very out of whack.
Also make sure they have someone that knows what they are doing with the alignment.
I mean its normal for toe to change with camber but then you should be able to dial the toe back to where you want it.

If there is something bent the main suspects would be the upper or lower control arm or the toe-arm thing or any of the bushings.
Upper control arm looks more bendable than the lower and its not too hard to change so you might want to start there

If you can find one cheap corner you might try doing the whole thing (knuckle, control arms, driveshaft etc) and putting it on rather than changing them all out one by one and messing with ball joints it might be easier.

Me and my buddy whos a mechanic changed the left rear corner at the track in less than an hour like that.
Checked on 2 machines. Both relatively new, both are high-end models. I've had at least half of both shops tryin to help me dial my crap out when I did it. Fairly certain something is bent. Nothing major though! my passenger side can crank out camber for days while keeping toe in spec, but the driver's side is a whole different situation. My toe is at like 2 degrees if i go over 2 degrees camber.

Guess it's time to find a parts car in my area. car-part.com rocks!
Old 08-03-2011, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before you do that, you could try moving the lower subframe around while on the alignment rack. I was able to match max camber on both sides by doing this.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by robinson
Before you do that, you could try moving the lower subframe around while on the alignment rack. I was able to match max camber on both sides by doing this.
I think I understand what you're saying to do...i'm more of a "see it" than "hear it" kinda guys (d'oh!)
Old 08-04-2011, 10:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ever whack into a curb or nail a deep pothole?

I had the same issue after sliding into a curb (mental note, take off summer tires before December ) and bent the LCA and knuckle.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by billios996
ever whack into a curb or nail a deep pothole?

I had the same issue after sliding into a curb (mental note, take off summer tires before December ) and bent the LCA and knuckle.
Deep pothole maybe, curb no. I guess i'm gonna try buying an LCA, thanks!
Old 08-05-2011, 02:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a way to check, but I don't remember the science of it. Involves using a lift and having the car raised up so that you can inspect the "squareness" of various control arms.