S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Help with rear lower ball joint?!?!

Old 03-20-2015, 11:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help with rear lower ball joint?!?!

Hey guys, so this past weekend I was taking my spindle off to do extended wheel studs on my ap1 rear. Everything was going fairly smooth until I ripped the rear lower ball joint boot slightly with the ball joint seperator tool. I already did the studs on the driver side and am anticipating ripping the passanger side lower as well. The stabalizer bar bushing is good, the upper rear ball joint on the control arm is good, but the rear lower ball joint/boot needs to most definately be replaced(or im running the ripped boots for the summer). And OF COURSE honda only sells the rear lower ball joint as part of the entire $200 spindle. Since I am going to be more than likely going to a whole custom ford 9" 4 link rear end later this year I would like to keep the cost as low as possible, so the $170 buddy club extended rear lower ball joints are out of the question. I thought I did come across a hardrace rear lower ball joint for $95 euro but dont know...

Does anyone have a solution for this? Please provide a link if so. Can I replace JUST the boot? And if so how do you replace the boot(what secures the new one up) I have been doing quite a bit of searching but no luck finding a replacement boot or affordable ball joint.

Thanks for any info
Old 03-20-2015, 12:47 PM

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Huh? Your problem makes no sense. The lower rear ball joint comes right off the control arm. You can buy the dust boot for it separately. It's the upper ball joint on the upper arm that can't be removed.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slalom44
Huh? Your problem makes no sense. The lower rear ball joint comes right off the control arm. You can buy the dust boot for it separately. It's the upper ball joint on the upper arm that can't be removed.
^ not sure what you're talking about. The rear lower ball joint is pressed into the spindle. You can use the front lower control arm ball joint from a 1997 Accord. Search around a bit and you'll find part numbers.

Also, you can remove the upper control arm ball joints.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:50 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

You can buy the boot separately. 51225-S84-A01 BOOT, BALL DUST (LOWER) and buy a new spring clip 52226-SL0-003 CIRCLIP, BALL (LOWER). Dealership price should be around $10-15 for both. They are less than $8 on majestic.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:17 PM

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by nmrado
^ not sure what you're talking about. The rear lower ball joint is pressed into the spindle. You can use the front lower control arm ball joint from a 1997 Accord. Search around a bit and you'll find part numbers.

Also, you can remove the upper control arm ball joints.

The exact opposite. The upper ball joint is pressed into the upper arm. The dust boots of both upper and lower rear ball joints can be purchased separately as shown in the figure above.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:46 PM

I have heard you can replace just the boots as mentioned above or use the accord ball joints. On another note are you from Tolland? You will be seeing a silverstone ap1 in tolland this summer! Cheers!
Old 03-22-2015, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by slalom44

The exact opposite. The upper ball joint is pressed into the upper arm. The dust boots of both upper and lower rear ball joints can be purchased separately as shown in the figure above.
You said, "The lower rear ball joint comes right off the control arm." It's pressed into the knuckle. Then you said, "It's the upper ball joint on the upper arm that can't be removed." It is also pressed into a control arm. BOTH can be removed with a press or custom tooling. Here's a pic of the upper ball joints removed from the rear upper control arm:

Name:  bef2532e.jpg
Views: 2035
Size:  172.7 KB

Neither of the ball joints are sold individually for the S2k, as shown by the image you linked. They're just ball joints, however. Both can be procured individually if you do the research. The OP wanted to know if boots were available. As you stated, they are available. The OP also asked if the ball joints can be replaced. They can.

You stated certain ball joints "came right off", which they don't. You then said others "can't be removed", which they can. How am I the one that is wrong in this situation?
Old 03-23-2015, 08:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

thank you guys. Yes to confirm I just want to replace the boots, dont really care what joints can be pressed out right now. Also I am having trouble getting the nuts back on the ball joints... figures lol(and no I wasnt wacking them with a hammer! lol). So I am just gonna buy new nuts too and run a die over the existing ball joint, and of course the new boots and clips.

And yes I live in vernon actually! But send me a PM and we will have to exchange numbers man!