S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Hawk pads Ceramic vs HPS

Old 01-03-2011, 11:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Hawk pads Ceramic vs HPS

Which pad is a better option for me. Ill do less than 6 autocrosses this year. Id rather have a pad with better "bite" but dont want crazy dust. Gold wheels look dirty very fast with just a little dust. Which of these two would be a better option? Noise nor life bother me, just dust and bite.

Thanks
Old 01-03-2011, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the hp+ on my s2000 right now, they dust like crazy and have tons of bite and do not fade on the road course.

i have used the hps on a different vehicle and they dust just as much as the hp+ and they did over heat on the road course with a 240sx with 355 whp.

i was using axxis ultimate/stoptech ceramic pads on my 240sx and did not over heat them. they also have a lighter color dust and dust less than the hawk hps/hp+ pads.

i dont think you will have to worry about overheating your pads at autocross. i would go with the ceramic, or look into the stoptech pads. that is what i am going to after these hp+ are gone. stoptech bought axxis so if you find either pad they are the same.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:08 PM

Received 3,772 Likes on 2,661 Posts

I love my Hawk HPS pads but I wouldn't use them at a track or auto-x. Hawk HP+ are great pads for the track or auto-x but they dust and noise too much for daily driving IMO, Hawk even tries to explain that in advance.

I had Hawk Ceramics on one of my other cars, I don't think I'd track or auto-x them, I thought their intial bite was a bit weak.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION,Jan 4 2011, 07:08 PM
I love my Hawk HPS pads but I wouldn't use them at a track or auto-x. Hawk HP+ are great pads for the track or auto-x but they dust and noise too much for daily driving IMO, Hawk even tries to explain that in advance.
My first mod or upgrade to my 01S was with the Hawk HPS and Cyrogen'd Power Slot rotors. Zero dust and great braking even after 4 road courses.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO.The Ceramic are good street pads,but I prefer the HPS for street use.Neither are track pads.I run HPS on all the cars listed below.

Anytime you go for less dust,you give up some braking power.

\rlr
carolina
Old 01-05-2011, 10:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

So whats the bigger loss,

using a "track" pad on the streets
or using a "street" pad on the track?
Old 01-05-2011, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With better bite, you get dust. HPS are great street pads and will probably handle an autocross event. Start there. If after your first autocross event you decide you need more brake, buy the HP+ and swap them in for autocross events only. 0.02
Old 01-05-2011, 12:36 PM

Street pads are generally quieter,produce less dust,are easier on rotors and offer good,general DD braking.

Race pads are generally more noisy,more dust,are tuff on rotors but offer really great stopping power with min fade.Most true race cars go thru pads & rotors like water and race pads usually require rotors that are made for racing.Unless your car is diff,my 03 has a rear solid rotor.Vented rotors are best for racing.I personally like the "J Hook" style for true racing.

Have a look here and decide what your driving style is and choose pads accodingly.

For my Z06 ,I run Powerslot Slots w/HPS pads.On my GST & S2K,I run EBC USR Slots & HPS.

http://www.hawkperformance.com/

\rlr
carolina
Old 01-05-2011, 08:37 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cutter,Jan 4 2011, 02:45 AM
i have the hp+ on my s2000 right now, they dust like crazy and have tons of bite and do not fade on the road course.

i dont think you will have to worry about overheating your pads at autocross. i would go with the ceramic, or look into the stoptech pads.
that is what i am going to after these hp+ are gone. stoptech bought axxis so if you find either pad they are the same.
i had hp+ and they bite good but completely faded under heavy load.
and i mean littery completely.
really scary stuff.

but for x-cross i can't imagine they will get hot enough to fade that much.

stoptech might claim to buy Axxis - Axxis in UA and Australia claims different.

anyway - i've got Stoptech highest pad - street performance - and it's nowhere near Axxis Ultimate.
it's OK but not more than that.
it's very cheap, quite, clean though.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:20 AM

If you get new rotors....go ahead and paint the front & back of the hats,vents and the slots.

Any overspray will burn off quickly in a day or so.

\rlr
carolina

Quick Reply: Hawk pads Ceramic vs HPS