S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Hawk HPS pads not "drop in"?

Old 10-30-2011, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawk HPS pads not "drop in"?

Anyone run these on their AP1's?
Measuring the stack-up (pads/rotor vs. caliper span) it looks like I'm going to have to shave some off of the pads (1-1.5mm for the fronts and .5-1mm for the rears, each pad). I've run these pads on other vehicles and never had to shave them down... it's not a huge deal but one that I'd rather not have to deal with.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:29 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

If you can return them, return them. They are WAY worse pads than stock. Less bite and more pedal travel on the street, totally useless to the point of being dangerous at the track.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZDan
If you can return them, return them. They are WAY worse pads than stock. Less bite and more pedal travel on the street, totally useless to the point of being dangerous at the track.

go with OEM!
Old 10-31-2011, 04:28 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

OEM pads are better than HPS
Old 11-01-2011, 04:12 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I wonder if this is just a HPS pad issue. My HP+ pads went in without any issues.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:32 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by //steve\\
I wonder if this is just a HPS pad issue. My HP+ pads went in without any issues.
It is. In my experience, HP+ have performed very well. VERY high initial bite and coefficient of friction. Big improvement over OEM, if not as temperature tolerant as serious track pads. I've never had any issues with them on the track, though. They do dust and make noise, though...

HP+ and HPS are worlds apart.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe you have the wrong pads? We've never had to shave any pads down with Hawk, project mu, or cobalt over the many years working with s2000s.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by ZDan
Originally Posted by //steve\\' timestamp='1320149578' post='21118312
It is. In my experience, HP+ have performed very well. VERY high initial bite and coefficient of friction. Big improvement over OEM, if not as temperature tolerant as serious track pads. I've never had any issues with them on the track, though. They do dust and make noise, though...

HP+ and HPS are worlds apart.
I did a track day on them the weekend after I installed them and they were a HUGE improvement over the stock pads that I ran at the same track the month before. Not once during the day was I not completely confident in my brakes. They do dust like crazy though. Wheels looked worse after 20 minutes of driving than they did after an entire day of track on the stock pads. Oddly enough though mine don't make an ounce of noise which I've read can be prevented if you bed them in properly. My solution to the terrible dusting was coating the wheels with Opti-coat. It's basically an additional layer of clearcoat and nothing sticks to it. I stopped by a wash booth on my way home from the track and 95% of the brake dust came right off without any effort scrubbing them. The rest I can wipe my finger across and it comes right off so a quick wash and they wheels will be back to good as new.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:13 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by //steve\\
I did a track day on them the weekend after I installed them and they were a HUGE improvement over the stock pads that I ran at the same track the month before. Not once during the day was I not completely confident in my brakes. They do dust like crazy though. Wheels looked worse after 20 minutes of driving than they did after an entire day of track on the stock pads. Oddly enough though mine don't make an ounce of noise which I've read can be prevented if you bed them in properly. My solution to the terrible dusting was coating the wheels with Opti-coat. It's basically an additional layer of clearcoat and nothing sticks to it. I stopped by a wash booth on my way home from the track and 95% of the brake dust came right off without any effort scrubbing them. The rest I can wipe my finger across and it comes right off so a quick wash and they wheels will be back to good as new.
if you beat on your HP+ often enough they are pretty quiet, mine are quiet for about a week after a track session.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:33 AM

Maybe that's it then. The car isn't a daily driver and only gets driven once or twice a week if not only to the track. With winter coming it will probably be a good while before I'm at the track again and as long as it's not crappy out I intend to drive the car over the winter so I'll see if they get noisy.

Quick Reply: Hawk HPS pads not "drop in"?