S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Hawk HP+ Pads

Old 12-03-2013, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawk HP+ Pads

So my hawk HP+ pads just got dropped off at my door. I never ran these before, nor have I ever changed the brake pads on an s2000. I noticed that I see a lot of brake pads with these metal supports hanging off of them. Similar to the picture in the link below. The Hawk HP+ pads did not come with these. I am wondering if I got sent the incorrect pads, if not, what are those things for and are they needed?

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/gallery/p...527__file__med
Old 12-03-2013, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the metal bars are squeal bars. They rub against the rotor and let you know your pads are getting low.

You don't need them. HP+ are track oriented pads so the assumption is you'll be checking your pad thickness frequently enough and you'll notice when they have worn down.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:52 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Also. The HP+ squeal so much you'd never be able to tell if it was the pads or wear indicators making noise.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:23 PM

Lol yeah I figured, but I'd rather have a loud squeal for better braking power. I noticed that they will spark during the bedding process. Will this damage my paint? What should I do if I see metal flakes on my car, let them cool down and wash them away?
Old 12-03-2013, 11:53 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

get used to the dust they make.
and also - be very carefull with them becase when they overheat they loose completely stoping power.
and i mean completely.
scary stuff...
Old 12-05-2013, 05:44 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Use lots of anti squeal
Old 12-05-2013, 06:20 PM

Received 3,796 Likes on 2,675 Posts

Originally Posted by Gotpepsi
Lol yeah I figured, but I'd rather have a loud squeal for better braking power. I noticed that they will spark during the bedding process. Will this damage my paint? What should I do if I see metal flakes on my car, let them cool down and wash them away?
hot brake dust will etch your wheels, hopefully it won't get onto the body paint. Wash frequently, try Iron-X to get rid of rail dust.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Croc
and also - be very carefull with them becase when they overheat they loose completely stoping power.
and i mean completely.
scary stuff...
I believe you're describing what happens when you boil your brake fluid at the track... that can/will happen with any type of brake pad if you overheat the brakes. But yes, boiling your brake fluid is WAY scary.

I've used Hawk HP Plus on the street, for autocross, and occasionally at the track for years... for a pad that's not a true track compound, their stopping power is consistent even when beyond their MOT (600F or so).
Old 12-06-2013, 03:12 PM

Agreed^ they hold up very well on track, especially when coupled with good fluid, SS lines, and a good set of rotors. But jesus christ, that squeal. My wife has actually gotten out of the car and taken a bus home because she cant stand the sound. People at stop lights look at me like i just raped a baby. anyways good pads...
Old 12-07-2013, 10:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

use the oem shims and lots of grease …. or better yet …. have the HP+ and their own set of rotors … and the oem pads and their own set of rotors. The squeal will drive you to put back on your oem pads, and the brake feel will be weird with the HP+ compound all over the rotor.

Quick Reply: Hawk HP+ Pads