S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

GC top hat discussion and general info on increasing bump travel

Old 02-08-2012, 02:46 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GC top hat discussion and general info on increasing bump travel

In some applications it can significantly increase bump travel. In some applications it will only bring the upper spring perch closer to the bottom of the chassis which will increase bump travel but not as much as its intended use.

Normally the bump stop would be inside which would increase clearance.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by berny2435
no it doesn't. If I'm not mistaken, if you decrease the distance b/t the upper perch and the bottom of the shock, you have just decreased total bump travel of that shock.
at a given ride height if you need more bump travel because you're bottoming out the damper and you have plenty of wheel clearance the GC top hat will help give you more bump travel.

Given using the same spring on this setup with and without the extended top hat, the lower spring perch would effectively be mounted lower on the shock body, especially if the shocks are not two pcs threaded together for independant spring pre-load and ride height. If the top hat does not allow the shock body to go inside of it, you have decreased your total shock travel and decreased the shocks droop travel b/c 1.5" of the shock is now higher than it was before and is basically unusable now.
The part that's inside the GC top hat on these dampers is not the shock shaft, it's called a pin mount so you're not loosing anything as far as travel goes.

I don't know how stiffly sprung this setup is going to be but I'm guessing fairly stiff probably at least as much as that corner weighs. This probably wont have much droop travel but this isn't a rally car. As long as the shock doesn't get compressed too much, it wont bottom out obviously. With my setup I'll hit my tire on the bottom of the fender before I'll run out of spring travel and or hit the top of the shock on the bottom of the top hat though.
I'm pretty sure they'll be running as low as their rules allow them to run which should be pretty low. They'll have to clearence more than the fender to achieve this and they will do it so the issue at that point won't be the fender. It's a race car not a street car

Like I said before, in this guy's application, the GC top hats basically look like they are only reducing droop travel.
Since stroke is the same and droop has been reduced, bump travel will then have been increased by the same amount that droop was reduced by.

Hope this makes sense
Old 02-08-2012, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for explaining but it still doesn't make sense, especially since you have thrown the pin mount thing into the equation.

non-the-less, I don't think I'd use these unless I had no other option. I'd rather have shortened shock bodies if that is an option for the shocks I was using.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Former Moderator

It might have been what was offered? I agree it's not really needed especially for these dampers but they could be using different length TTX's than what I'm using
Old 02-08-2012, 05:48 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I did a write up on these not too long ago. Worth ever bit to me even losing the solid mounts.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/913...#entry21208556

It personally helped my setup out a lot and the difference was immediately noticeable on larger bumps. I was definitely getting deep into the bumpstops before and now I'm not. Unfortunately I did not see the solid top version of the mounts until after I had ordered mine. I actually asked GC about them and was told unless my car has solid mounts and spherical bearings everywhere else there isn't going to be much difference between the two and the solid mounts will require more maintenance/upkeep. I'd still considering making the move down the road but for now I'm really happy with them.

Like Berny mentioned the only real downfall with these is if your shock body has a larger diameter than the inside of the top hats (which my KWs do) you're forced to leave the bumpstop long to make sure that the top hats don't make contact with the shock body. It might not be a problem for Koni Yellows but definitely was a factor with my KWs. I've done a good amount of driving on them between daily stuff on crappy highways, and country back roads and so far I haven't had problems.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve, your write up was very useful. I'm looking at doing the same thing since I'm running out of travel in the rear.

For those looking to do this in the future, CrazyPhuD did a very good write up as well back in '05:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/326...ophat-install/
Old 02-14-2012, 11:32 AM

Figured I'd add some info about my experience with the spherical bearing GC extended top mounts -

Like the others, I used these to gain some bump travel for a given ride height without having to shorten the damper bodies. What you gain in bump travel, you effectively lose in droop travel. So, there is a fine balance to strike. The spherical bearing top hats give you some adjustment, however. You can move the top mount up 1/2" or 1" depending on how you configure the spacers provided with the top mounts.

Spherical bearing top mounts with 2 spacers, shown below. Place the longer spacer on top of the bearing & the shorter one below and you'll end up with a 1" height change of the damper pin mount. Place the longer one below the bearing & the shorter one above and you'll end up with a 1/2" height change of the damper pin mount.

If you're using these with coilovers that have their own upper spring perch, you'll likely need to trim the portion that is meant to locate the ID of the spring.

3/4" of material meant to help locate a spring ID -

Cut it down and you'll have enough clearance to use the 1" height change configuration, as shown below with Penske 8100 upper spring perch -
Old 02-14-2012, 08:11 PM
Former Moderator

Did you have to cut out a hole in the hood liner for clearance or did you have do anything to prevent the shock shaft from rubbing the fuel filler hose?

Do you also have a before pic of the way it was setup?
Old 02-15-2012, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by macr88
Did you have to cut out a hole in the hood liner for clearance or did you have do anything to prevent the shock shaft from rubbing the fuel filler hose?

Do you also have a before pic of the way it was setup?
I'm only using them in the rear, so I'm not sure what the hood clearance looks like. It would be tight even at the 1/2" configuration, from the looks of it. In the rear, there is slight rubbing on the fuel filler bellows using the 1/2" spacer config. It'll be more difficult to adjust rebound on that damper, but I'll deal with it.

This image gives you an idea of how much space there was between the upper spring perch and the top mount with the previous setup.

I forgot to take side-by-side comparison photos of the "old" and "new" setups.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:09 AM
Former Moderator

Awesome, thanks for the pic. Does Penske use a pin mount for the upper perch?

This is the pin mount for the Ohlins

Quick Reply: GC top hat discussion and general info on increasing bump travel