S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Front sway bar end link install

Old 07-09-2021, 06:32 PM

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Front sway bar end link install

I bought new end links for the front sway bar, as I loosened one while installing new coilovers. I realized afterwards that loosening the sway bar links wasn't necessary for clocking the bushings after installing the coilovers, and then I couldn't tighten it back up. They were all very rusty, so I thought I'd just replace them all cuz cheap and why not.

Question: with the originals all off and the sway bar just hanging out there, is there anything that needs to get clocked/pre-loaded/adjusted in any way? Or can I just install the links, torque them down and put the car down? Simple as that?
Old 07-10-2021, 12:23 AM

Received 419 Likes on 383 Posts

just torque up
Old 07-10-2021, 06:31 AM

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by noodels
just torque up
Thanks for the reply.

Another question now that I'm putting them in for real... the Honda manual says the bolts on each link needs to be centred -- so not angled up/down to line up with the holes when inserted. However, even with some prying/jacking suspension, there's no way I'm getting this thing in without pivoting them each somewhat.

Note: both front wheels are up in the air, wheels off, full droop.

Can I just go ahead and manipulate the bolts at each end so they'll go in? Then tighten them up, put wheels on, drop the car back down, done?
Old 07-11-2021, 03:25 AM

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by 9KCanuck
Note: both front wheels are up in the air, wheels off, full droop.

Can I just go ahead and manipulate the bolts at each end so they'll go in? Then tighten them up, put wheels on, drop the car back down, done?
Yup.

Ideally, when sitting ride height, everything on both sides would just slide in straight. The lower control arms where swaybar mounts would then (at ride height on perfectly level ground) ideally be equal height.

For cars that are corner balanced, where suspension precisely jacked (using adjustable coilovers) at each corner while each wheel sitting on a scale, until left right at each end have equal weight, the result is invariably unequal suspension height left to right. Equal load being much more important than symmetrical heights. For such applications they make adjustable length swaybar end links. You install one end, then adjust the length of the other so it perfectly slides in straight. While car sitting ride height on perfectly level ground after corner balancing.

In your case with non conrer balanced suspension just at droop the LCA aren't perfectly equal, so swaybar links don't perfectly slide in.
The following users liked this post:
9KCanuck (07-11-2021)